“Great diner at a very nice price!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 89 Restaurants in Tulare
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Great diner at a very nice price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Had diner with a party of 5. serving was quick, personel very nice and correct, meal great, well cooked and the price... we checked the bill twice because we thought they fogot something... ;-)
We had a Beary night!

Visited July 2013

California
“Seriously Tulare?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Having Black Bear Diner as #2 in all of Tulare is a sad picture of how unrefined and unsophisticated the average palate is of those who live and/or have dined here.

Not sure a truly great and edgy restaurant would even make it here due to such overall lack of knowledge.

I love Tulare, but do wish that folks would branch out a bit and begin to understand the vast difference that there is between a restaurant who make recipes out of many canned and boxed goods and those that use in season, fresh ingredients. Recipes made from scratch. Inspired food.

Black Bear is fine for breakfast, but for any other meal, it is a coffee shop, plain and simple.

Sorry all.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Guadalupe, CA
“Great salad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had the summer harvest salad. It contained the following dried items: cranberries, raisins, blueberries, lettuce, different types of nuts, shredded coconut with a honey mustard dressing. It was so large that I had a hard time finishing but I did because it was so good.

Visited May 2013
Visalia, California
“Good Food At A Good Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We go here most every Friday night. We share a dinner, usually the steak & shrimp ( not on the menu, just have to ask for it ) it comes with soup or salid. I get the clam chowder, that's why we go on Friday's. The servers are great and the meal is always good and hot. We have Ryan's Place in our town ( owned by the same company, both are good ) but we go to Black Bear most of the time.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster, California, United States
“Disappointed this trip.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stop there on my way to and from the Sacramento area and plan my times to make dinner or lunch stop. last night (May 14th) I stopped there about 7:45pm and was seated quickly by the host ad he brought the drink I ordered.. 10 minutes later my server showed up apologizing for the wait.

I questioned her about the senior ribs as I wanted ribs but not the huge portions that they normally bring. She took the order and left. She brought the salad and then about 10 minutes later she confirmed that I wanted the mashed potatoes and veggies. I said no I wanted the baked as I had previously ordered.

Another 10 minutes went by and she brought the order with Mashed potatoes. I did not notice the rest of the order as I was fixated on the potatoes. She returned the plate to the kitchen. On return of the plate another server plopped it down and then left before I had time to tell her I did NOT order the ribs and tri tip which was what I received.

Took me 5 minutes to get another server's attention and she went to get my proper server. She (not my assigned server) returned with another small plate and said she would scrape the tri tip off my plate right there at the table and I would be charged the proper amount. She then proceeded to almost dump the plate in my lap trying to do so on the small table I was seated at.
I then protested and said I wanted the plate returned to the kitchen and the proper order completed, done as I had originally ordered.

The manager then brought the order to me and verified that it was correct. When I asked what went wrong she stated the server plated the wrong order.

When I was finished the manager brought me the slip and stated she charged me for what I originally ordered but dropped off the difference between the tri tip and ribs and the senior ribs plus a couple of bucks for my inconvenience. In other words the original server got my order correct and I was all wet as to what I originally ordered. which was NOT what she told me the first time I asked what the problem was.

This is the first time something like this has happened and I sincerely hope it's the last. Normally I receive outstanding service and food so I understand and hope this is an anomaly.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Black Bear Diner? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Black Bear Diner, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

;