“Good option for Truckee” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Cedar House Sport Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Truckee
The Cedar House Sport Hotel
Save Saved
You added The Cedar House Sport Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10918 Brockway Rd., Truckee, CA 96161   |
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Truckee
Tracy, California
“Good option for Truckee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Cedar House. The room was comfortable. I did find the suite room a tad bit small, but overall, very clean and visually appealing. We stayed at the rear of the hotel and felt the spot was probably the best. We overlooked the parking lot with a partial view of forest and road.

It was quiet in the evenings and slept ok except for the occasional train whistle that regularly passed through late nights. Apparently, this is a normal thing, but something to note if you are a light sleeper. It was any annoyance, but not enough to deter me from my room rating. The bed was compfy.

I like the feel of the place and the layout. We had a small balcony, that was nice to sit out during the afternoons. It was private, except, people could see you from parking lot if they looked up. We did have privacy from neighbors.

The price seemed to be reasonable for Tahoe and what you could expect with the location. We we pretty close to restaurants and downtown Truckee and most good restaurants. Other eating options were only a few miles away.

There is a nice walking path near the park,and it runs along side the Truckee river. It's worth checking out if you are interested in a good power walk or jog.

We especially liked the breakfast options and would return for that, fresh baked bread, granola and salad greens were my favorite.

I was disappointed that the on-site restaurant did not cater to vegetarian palate. I asked about this, but was put off by the response. "The chef does not change the pre-set menu." I was informed that they could leave out the protein fro the menu, but no mention of adjusting price and it was a bit off-putting to feel like they were not taking this seriously or considered this to be a legitimate request...so consequently, we went to other restaurants in town.

The other negative I had was that the worker, cook at the buffet breakfast never smiled or looked like her wanted to be there. I loved the granola that they served and learned that they actually make it in the restaurant there. Unfortunately, they only had the one time during our 3 day stay and when I asked, I was told they ran out and would make more the following days, but it never happened. I think this would have been an easy request to fulfill. Alas, we still enjoyed the breakfast even though my wife requested cooked eggs from the cook that did not smile.

I hope they correct that. We would still like to visit again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

The decor of the room is very much Scandinavian so if you like that look and feel you'll be impressed. If that is not your cup of tea -you might look elsewhere. Beds are very nice with dual comforters. There is no closet and the layout of the bathroom is somewhat lacking in counter space. We like the look and the room was very clean and well-maintained.

Big plus is the Stella restaurant on the property and a very good breakfast included.

Room Tip: Check out the Stella restaurant.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed for a week at the Cedar House in Truckee.

The Room: nice size room and very chic. It had a day bed for seating and extra bed and a desk. The bathroom is large and very clean. Large walk in Shower, no tub. We had a spacious deck with chairs and a table. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were great- nice and soft. The room has a small fridge and they provide two bottles of water each day as well as a coffee machine. Two complaints: the room was dark and not enough storage space for our stuff.

Service: wonderful, helpful staff with information about the area, activities, etc.

Breakfast: absolutely great breakfast. We stayed for a week and they didn't repeat the changing entree once. They always have yogurt with fruit and granola and cereal, oatmeal and eggs. The restaurant pastry chef makes the breads x the bagels. Fresh food prepared on site, it's a real treat.

Lobby etc: nice, modern space with lots of wood creating a warm welcoming environment. The outdoor space looks nice (we were there in winter). They have a full bar in the lobby and serve a nice snack in the afternoon. The hotel is not far from town and it is walkable though much of that is along the side of the road without a sidewalk. There is a bike path across the street.

I would recommend this hotel for a stay in Truckee.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here during our recent ski trip to Lake Tahoe. The accommodation is comfortable and adequate as a base for a ski trip. We skied at NorthStar which was a comfortable 10/15 minutes drive.
I found that the hotel has very little storage space and the bathroom was tiny, so navigating around a family of four was sometimes difficult.
The restaurant was the highlight. The food was very good with an excellent wine list and service to match.
I'm not sure if I'd stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times during ski season over the past 2 winters. I haven't written a review before because it's my secret go-to hotel for a fabulous European style stay at affordable prices. Prices are reasonable, even during ski season and I love the European style decor of this hotel. The entire staff are professional and very helpful with special kudos to the front desk staff who stayed past midnight waiting for me to arrive during a horrendous snowstorm during one of my visits. Prices include a good buffet breakfast and evening hors d'ouvres. One of the best restaurants in the area, called Stella, is also onsite.

My only complaint is that due to the eco-construction/design of the hotel, the rooms naturally retain a lot of heat. So much so that the rooms are too hot at night and the air gets unbelievably dry, which made sleeping/breathing very difficult. We had to leave the balcony door slightly open (even though it was winter with snow falling) to cool the room and try to get some moisture in the air. They should provide humidifiers in the rooms. And while you are very close to Northstar, it does take at least 30-45 minutes to get to Squaw Valley, even without traffic.

Room Tip: Reservations are a must if you want to dine at Stella, their onsite restaurant.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Silicon Valley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Good: everything and everywhere was spotlessly clean. Room was ready for checkin. Staff very efficient/helpful. Good value breakfast buffet included.

"Not good" (not "bad" either, but noteworthy):

(While I've been around the US and Asia for leisure and business travel, I am not exactly a World Traveller enough to know what a Euro-Funk accommodation would really be like. But if I could imagine such a place, this property would be it for me. I imagined a weird stream of consciousness with an Austin Powers movie scene, a Hammer Film, and the long haired blonde guy in the TV commercial for the Swedish coffee)

So if you want a clean place to sleep in a great and convenient location, helpful staff and the most elegant and comfortable bed/bedding combo you can imagine, this is your place.

Moreover,

If you remember to bring your own creamer since the in room coffee making stuff didn't include any;

If you don't mind bathing in a tub that's too shallow to immerse your inflamed knee;

If it's no biggie for you to lug baggage to your upper floor room via an outdoor staircase (that may be icy in the ski season) because there's no elevator;

If you're comfortable sitting in a "hard" chairs or metal stool that look like Euro-funk to me to rest your tired legs after hiking or skiing;

If you don't need a closet or wardrobe;

If a vanity in the bathroom that's so low it'd be at the perfect height for your pre-schooler also works for you;

If you don't need space in the small room to place your ski boots, snowboards/skis without tripping over them;

If you can drive yourself to the slopes in your own vehicle;

If you know ahead of time to bring your own bar of soap for bathing/showering(*);

If you don't care about finding the provided towels neatly folded in a basket on the floor instead of on racks or shelves, and are OK with draping them on hooks on the wall instead of on racks;

If you remember to close the lid on the toilet before you make the flush that is so powerful that a little bit of water may splash from the bowl to the nearby basket of clean towels that's on the floor;

then this place is the place for you!

During most ski seasons we spend a night at a property in that area on our way to the slopes.

We pay about the same price, for a more "non-Euro-funkish" accommodation that's more practical for skiers/snowboarders, and with touches that are more amenable to un-hip/un-cool workaday Americans like us. Even though we're SF Bay Areans, we're not so Cool and Hip enough as to "get it". If we want Euro-funk, we'll do budget travel to Europe some time.

(*) The tub/shower combo has wall mounted dispensers labeled for shampoo, conditioner, and some other liquid that I could not figure out what it was (what is didn't say was "liquid soap"). The vanity had a wall mounted liquid dispenser that said "soap". When showering, I had to open the curtain, get out of the shower, step over to the vanity, dispense some liquid soap, back to the shower, etc. For my showering this involved three such "round trips", lotsa water on the floor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Very European style hotel. It's kind of a great mix of spartan (i.e. no closet) and luxury but still very quiet and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful and made sure we felt welcome. The hotel is located within five minutes of downtown Truckee in one direction and less than ten minutes from the Northstar ski resort in the other direction. It's also not far from Lake Tahoe.

The included breakfast was one of the best I've seen with lots of healthy options as well as the usual eggs, potatoes and bacon. The onsite restaurant, Stella, is fantastic for a special dinner.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Cedar House Sport Hotel? Share your experiences!