“Excellent hotel. Great staff and personal service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cedar House Sport Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Truckee
The Cedar House Sport Hotel
Save Saved
You added The Cedar House Sport Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10918 Brockway Rd., Truckee, CA 96161   |
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Truckee
Sonoma, California
“Excellent hotel. Great staff and personal service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

The Cedar house is in Truckee, CA about 10 miles from Lake Tahoe. Truckee is a quaint cowboy-like town. There is a Tuesday morning farmers market right down the street. The hotel was designed and is run very eco-friendly down to the materials used, plantings, vegetable gardens, etc. -- and dog friendly. The hotel has an accompanying business for local trips such as hiking and cooking classes.

The rooms are modern. Bed had a feather comforter. Our room had a very nice wood balcony with views of the gardens. Bathroom was very clean, and Euro-styling. Shower was large enough for 2 people, and had a glass door, which was very nice to have as a couple. Many towels were provided, as well as shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. Room was equipped with refrigerator, coffees, teas, glass mugs. The only negative thing I could say about the room was that there could have been more drawer and hanging space, but this is a minor flaw.

Breakfast was included and excellent with fresh fruit, eggs, potatoes, bacon, oatmeal, teas, coffees, etc. A nice daily reception was held in the lobby from 4-6 pm each day with food and drinks. Just ask if you have any special food needs.

The owners and staff were superb, and catered to us as individuals, got to know our names, interests, wants and needs, etc. They related to us on-par with a Bed and Breakfast type accommodations, even though it's a medium-sized hotel. They even got to know our dog!!

The hotel restaurant -- Stella -- was excellent and chef Jacob was top notch, and very friendly as was all the restaurant staff. Highly recommended whether or not staying at the hotel. Gourmet food at reasonable prices.

Overall, this hotel is highly recommended, and we are sure to return.

Room Tip: Ask for garden facing room with balcony.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I was driving from San Francisco to Reno for a business trip and decided to stay overnight in Truckee because I got a great mid week rate at the Cedar House Sport Hotel. I arrived at the hotel at 8:15PM and ran to the restaurant because they close at 8:30. I had a fantastic meal at Stella. The waiter recommended a nice red blend and I had a butter lettuce salad and a lamb entree. Yum! I was very impressed by the food and service. After dinner, I checked into the hotel and was told I received an upgrade. The room was very modern and clean. All the finishes in the room were high end. There were also a lot of nice touches - like water bottles in the fridge, coffee and tea, nice bath products, magazines. I also appreciated the TV channel selection. I was able to watch live coverage of the Tour de France while I was getting ready for work. The breakfast was included in the room price. It was a full breakfast of eggs, green salad, fruit, bacon. I was very pleased with my first stay at the Cedar House Sport Hotel. I look forward to returning!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Albany, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed four nights at the Cedar House Sport Hotel in Truckee, California in early June. We were in Truckee for a grandson’s graduation from high school, and an immediate advantage was the Cedar House’s close proximity to historic downtown Truckee, and the less than two mile distance to our daughter’s house. This is an exceptionally wonderful facility. We booked the luxury suite because we liked the extra room and because, at least during off-season, the price was within our budget and not that much more than an ordinary room. (Season consists of ski season plus July and August in this resort a little north of Lake Tahoe.)

The Cedar House is of exceptionally high quality. The whole buildings are scattered about the property in an attractive way, and their wood exteriors are really beautiful. The complementary breakfast is quite special. For example, I discovered that scrambled eggs can be made even better with a garnish of spinach leaves, onion slices, and sliced tomatoes in a salad oil. We chatted with a chef about blueberries in bread, and the next day we were treated to bread with added blueberries and raisins, which made wonderful toast. The kitchen is spotless – and open and completely visible to the diner. The restaurant promises to be a great place to eat dinner, but we did not have the opportunity given our family obligations. However one afternoon we did enjoy the free hors d’oeuvres and cookies.

My wife left a fine decorated fingernail file in a drawer, which was discovered by the cleaning staff and mailed back to us by the management. She had not realized she had lost the file, and the prompt return of this item is emblematic of the top quality of everyone connected with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I enjoyed the style of this relatively new hotel. A main house, a dining/conference building and adjacent lodging buildings gave the property an outdoor, cabin feel though the rooms were modern-looking and very clean. Given the run-down condition and price of many of the other options in the area, we thought the Cedar Sport was a good option. Small issues and the overall price prevent me from rating it as excellent.

The style of the room was simple and clean. My only complaint would be that there is limited space for clothes - there was no closet in our room, just a long line of hooks on the wall and a large hanging tree. It may fine in the summer, but it is difficult with ski gear. The bed was very comfortable with Euro-style, separate comforters.

The hotel has it's own apres ski in the lobby with a couple trays of treats (meats, cheeses, sweets) and a cash bar with a small, but nice selection. There was a homey feeling to being by the fire and comparing slopes with other guests and hotel dogs. The owners themselves are not overly friendly, but I found them to be nice and helpful with questions.

The breakfast has the right amount of options, the best being the freshly baked, rustic bread. You have to ask the cooks to cut pieces for you since they don't set it out. If you ask ahead, you can buy a loaf to take with you when you leave as well. This was great for lunch on the road.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Bragg, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

We recently spent one, last night, of a two week vacation here..I choose this hotel as it was rated #1 on TripAdvisor in Truckee, and we wanted it to be kinda special…The breakfast and dinner at their on site Stella’s Restaurant were the highlights however.. Many other TA posters have described the green hotel very well, so there were no surprises here. We stayed in building 2, room 202....It was on the smallish side but fine for one night. I agree, the closet pole and wall hooks for your clothes, verses a real closet, was odd and messy. I forgot to ask “what’s up” with the two single size comforters and no top sheet for the king bed. That was different, really ok with us…Just different. We we’re very tired anyways….

We LOVED the buffet breakfast the next morning with such a fresh selection….All very good quality, yummy….Dinner was so enjoyable, they even gave us a loaf of their delicious Kalamata olive bread (baked right there in their brick oven!) to take home! They treated us very special all around….. They have “planted” the roofs of some of the buildings, I noticed Lupines and Calif Poppies and others.. It will be “blooming” in a month or sooner, and be very pretty! I also noticed (we always walk around and check everything out on lodging properties) an herb garden, tomato plants, and a raised bed ready for a good sized summer garden…

Would I stay here again? Maybe…..We thought it was reasonably priced for a Sunday night for $150.00 (plus tax) in June 2011...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Roseville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

I stayed here with a few colleagues of mine for 2 weeks and couldn't be happier about our stay. Our job requires that we stay in the Truckee area for a couple of weeks for business and rumors and stories gets passed through the office of how nice this hotel is to stay at. Let me assure you, those rumors are not unwarranted. This hotel offers a cozy feel with a European feel. The owners have done a wonderful job and their attention to detail is impressive. With each stay, breakfast was included. Each morning I awoke with excitement knowing what food was waiting for me just steps away. The food and view again were amazing. All in all, the hotel was very comfortable for both business travelers and vacationers alike. If you have plans to stay in the Truckee area, the Cedar House Sport is a must.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

The ambiance and architecture will hit you as soon as you drive in.....I was there for a skiing vacation. A storm had come in the preceding days and dumped 10 ft on the Sierras....and that led to my only complaint -- with the melting snow and freezing nights, there was a spot of sidewalk not salted -- I slipped and got a real bruiser on my knee. However, the front desk staff was so attentive that as soon as they heard about it they asked me to show them the exact spot where it happened. The next morning that area was well salted. The staff is helpful, the food - especially the inclusive breakfast -- is great. For breakfast each morning there was coffee, tea, fresh juices, oatmeal, bacon, potatoes, scrambled eggs and some sort of egg scramble with spinach, cheese & tomato, fresh fruit salad, granola, yogurt, a selection of breads, muffins, bagels and homemade jam. The hotel was immaculate. The beds are really comfy, and the design, while spartan, is not cold. Everything in my room was flawless with the exception of one light bulb. Too bad the staff didn't pick up on that during my stay. Locals say this is better than the Ritz Carlton for a fraction of the price.

Room Tip: no elevator, so ask for 1st flr if needbe
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Cedar House Sport Hotel? Share your experiences!