“hmmm.” 2 of 5 stars

South Lake Tahoe, California
29 attraction reviews
“hmmm.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Park miles away from the lift. Get a free shuttle that's crowded. Walk 'a mile' with ski boots and skis to the ticket line. Then walk up steps to find a chairlift. I was exhausted before we got to the slopes. Of course you can pay $40 for valet parking. Pfft. Then the drinks bill made me think 'kerching'. The skiing was crowded too. There are better resorts in the area with far better value ..and less walking.

Visited February 2013

Sparta,NJ
35 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Ski Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Gorgeous village-like setting in the mountains. Restaurants with outdoor fire-pits and heat lamps. Even though we were there off-season you could realize the potential. Cozy seating around the ice rink, stone paved streets, numerous shops and restaurants.

Visited May 2013
San Francisco, California
19 attraction reviews
“The perfect place for a ski holiday.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I usually ski at Squaw, but this year I skied at Northstar because my son and daughter-in-law wanted to ski there (they are snowboarders and they think the parks are really good). What a surprise! I hadn't been there in years, and assumed it was still rather small, run-down, and intermediate, at best. At least that's the way I remembered it from quite a few years ago. But oh, not so! This resort is FANTASTIC!
I will start at the beginning by saying that although the parking lots are a good distance from the resort, the shuttle buses from the parking lot to the resort are very frequent, and so there is no real hassle at all. The only bad part is that you don't want to leave anything behind in your car, because it is still a long trip back from the slopes. The good thing is that the resort has lockers for rent in the village and at mid-mountain: about $7. for the day (unlimited access). After getting off the shuttle bus, you walk through the village, which is super nice. There are restaurants, coffee shops, boutiques, ski rental shops, ticket booths, and even a cinema and ice rink. The ambience is upmarket, and there are lots of comfortable places to sit and relax, and just take it all in. Having purchased a pass, you walk through to the other end of the village to a gondola that takes you up to the mid-mountain station. At this point, you can eat, rent a locker, or go straight on to the slopes. I noticed that this is also where the beginners and near-beginners take lessons and practice. For myself and my relatives, we got on a chair lift that took us up quite a way, but still not to the top. From that lift we then took another chairlift to the top. And then we really were at the top and actually took in a beautiful view of Lake Tahoe.
There are many more runs than there were the last time I was there (could that have been 15 years ago?), and there is even part of a mountain open that wasn't open at all the last time I went. On a powder day, there are so many places to ski that you practically always have fresh snow to yourself. And the tree skiing is some of the best I have ever experienced. It looked to me that the resort trims all the trees of it's dead branches just so the skier can have a better experience. I would say it would take you 2 days to actually ski all that Northstar has to offer. The other nice thing is that the lifts are fast, and the people running them are very organized and efficient (and super friendly!), so there is little time wasted needlessly.
The catering on the mountain is extensive. We ate at Zephyr Lodge, which is rather new, I think, and gorgeous to look at. The food was pretty good, but it is expensive. There are places to eat all over the mountain, and I was told that the pizza in the village was very good too. After skiing, I gather the sushi restaurant in the village is a popular place to go. Also the Starbucks!
Overall, the ski resort has got it all and makes you feel totally pampered. Everything is easy and luxurious and comfortable. The perfect place for a ski holiday.

Visited January 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Tougher for a beginner skier”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The runs seem narrower, which are tougher for a beginner skier.
The ski-in, ski-out Ritz is a great place for a day off of eating and drinking hot-topddies. We preferred the openess of Squaw's runs, but truly hated Homewood for late-in-the-season skiing. They also have very few true blues.

Visited March 2013
Sacramento, California
17 attraction reviews
“Skiing winter 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have had a season pass to Northstar for many years. The place has grown up from medium resort to a large "First class resort". I like the new chairs and new runs. I primarily ski the backside, so I usually away from the crowds in the valley. I have noticed that they have really cut back on mountain staff. The obstacles are not marked like they used to be and when the snow cat digs up a huge rock it sits there, unmarked basking in sun. Recently, there was so many twigs sticking out I was afraid, I would get tripped by them, they were everywhere.
What they did increase is the food prices and the photographers (they make more money selling Mix pictures).
No, I don't hate the place, its a great place to ski when it's properly groomed and marked. I took a picture of sign earlier this year that said "Trail Closed" with another sign 20 feet away that said "Trail open".
The other thing they need to fix is lift line anarchy. When it's crowded have 2 to 3 people controlling the lines. I saw all kings of people use the express lane and ski class entry to cut the line. Get the extra people out of the lift control houses or chatting and on the lines.

OK I like the people who work there, the snow, and the location. We talk on the lifts with other long time skiers who tell you where Aspen Corp has dropped the ball and of couse where they have knocked it out of the park.

Visited March 2013