“Best Italian food in Truckee/Tahoe!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bridge Street
Description: Pianeta is a cozy and inviting restaurant located in the heart of historic downtown Truckee, California. Since 1998, we have specialized in creating delicious Italian foods and homemade pastas while offering a stellar dining experience. Our menu features nightly specials inspired by the delicious cuisine of Northern Italy and boasts an impressive wine collection from California vineyards as well as classic Italian wines. At the bar, you will find an inviting atmosphere backed by premium liquor, aperitifs and one of the most popular happy hours in town (5:00-6:30 Monday thru Friday). Finally we pride ourselves on our welcoming friendly staff, warm eclectic old world ambiance and consistently remarkable cuisine. We always recommend reservations and we can accommodate larger parties, please call for more information.
Stanford, California
“Best Italian food in Truckee/Tahoe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

For no good reason at all, we have never tried Pianeta in the 15 years it has been in downtown Truckee. What a delightful surprise! Blake, the host, could not have been more charming, welcoming, and friendly. We did not have reservations, but he was able to squeeze us in. Additionally, every waitperson was extremely friendly, making the experience delightful.
Now for the food: I am a Bay Area foodie, and have high standards in Italian food having once lived in Italy. I cook Italian food, and only use the highest quality of ingredients, and I found that Pianeta also values authentic ingredients. Both pasta dishes were excellent, because the pasta was cooked al dente, and the flavors blended well, without being overpowering. Our Caprese salad had fantastic pesto. Pesto is one of my specialties, and it is rare for me to give a '10' for getting it perfect, well this was a '10' for sure!
We were too full to have dessert so I can't comment, but just scanning the list made me wish I had saved room! This is now my new favorite place to go in Truckee, we will absolutely go back every time we come to town.

Visited October 2013

93% Recommend
Sonoma, California
“One of the Very Best in Truckee - Best Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Pianeta is excellent!

It's an Italian bistro. The food is outstanding, and atmosphere is authentic Italian.

Service is also top rate, from the greeting at the door, to the bartenders, to the waiters. They all really are there to serve and please.

The food is really top quality, and this is from an Italian who generally prefers to eat Italian food at home since it's better quality. Everything I've had there has been very good -- I've eaten at Pianeta about 5 times before.

The atmosphere is casual, yet upscale Italian. You can wear jeans and a cowboy hat, or a jacket and tie. After all, it's Truckee, Tahoe and California :)
Great place for a quiet romantic dinner.

Very good wine selection, and knowledgeable waiters about the wine.

My recommendations for the best quality food in Trukee

Best overall -- Stella
Best Italian - Pianeta
Best broad food selection - Moody's (and has excellent entertainment)

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Salinas, California
“Worth the drive from Incline Village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Hubby and I drove over from Incline Village based on the other reviews and were not disappointed. The dining room was completely sold out so we ate at the bar. We started with the crab cakes and caprese salad, both were flavorful and fresh. The crust on crab cakes was cooked to perfection and served with arugula which was a wonderful pairing. Our entrees were chicken Marsala and ravioli with bolognses sauce. The chicken was cooked perfectly, tender and moist and the bolognses was rich and full bodied. The portions were large and we had no room for dessert. The service was prompt and we were well taken care of even though the Resturant was full. We will return again!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Menlo Park, California
“Worth repeat visits!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Love the carpaccio, Caesar salad the Bolognese is fabulous with rich deep flavors, and the Tiramasu one of the best I've had.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sonoma County
“One of Truckee's best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

That said, the bar in this small mountain tourist town is not very high. On the plus side, I had a seasonal heirloom tomato salad that was as good as you can get. A ragu of various meats with polenta was more than decent, if not memorable. Curiously the dish was hotter than any food I have ever been served in a restaurant, a temperature I did not think possible with normal cooking. A ravioli dish was also good. On the negative, service was indifferent, a feature I took to be a residue of the restaurant's considerable popularity. Note that the ambiance is loud - not big-city loud by any means - but louder than I am looking for on a mountain vacation.

• Visited August 2013