“Pathetic” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 31 Activities in Truckee
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Sports
Activities: Snowboarding, Skiing
More attraction details
Owner description: Snowboarding ski resort, offering snow play activities for everyone, including special programs for toddlers.
sacramento
“Pathetic”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Never fails....whenever you go here most of the lifts are closed , the runs arer not groomed and the Bireal Inn is so bad it should be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. Whoever is managing this outfit should be fired!!!

Chico, CA
12 attraction reviews
“Terrible staff, but nice hill for beginners”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I only have a few days of skiing under my belt, so my husband and I figured we would give Boreal a try for me to gain some hours of practice for a good price. The ticket/rental combos were very reasonable, and we were excited about the 9am-9pm hours.

Unfortunately, the staff was less than helpful to us both. During the rental process, the people working the ski boot area were especially rude and unenthusiastic about getting me a pair of boots. The people who I returned my equipment to seemed bothered about having the help (except the man at the cash register- he was cool). I told one employee thank you and to have a nice day and he just walked away from us. The cafeteria staff was equally unhelpful. We couldn't believe how many unfriendly staff we managed to come across, especially since we weren't asking for help or anything, just ordering food or checking out equipment. We weren't expecting a red carpet to be brought out or even GOOD service, but this level of bad service was pretty sad.

Thankfully, the ski area was great for a beginner such as myself! Several lifts and different easy ways down the hill. Lots of areas to practice different skills and big wide runs. The lodge was a good size but would have benefited from some music. My husband REALLY enjoyed the night ski and found the runs to be very well lit. The Woodward part looked like a lot of fun for kids. The staff working on the mountain were nice. Lots of options for someone building up their skill. Tons of kids everywhere who were adorable, and it had a very family-friendly vibe. We had dinner in the cafeteria and ordered from their after hours menu. The seasoned fries were DELICIOUS. Clam chowder and pizza were average but not bad! Again, reasonable prices.

We had a fun day at Boreal (especially for the price!) but I think a culture change is in order for the staff. Great place to build skills for a killer price if you don't mind terrible customer service.

Visited March 2014
Cupertino, California
20 attraction reviews
“Kids loved to ski here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The kids in our group loved this place a lot. Most of them were intermediate level skiing kids and they got to warm up in a couple of courses, then tried it out in another couple of courses which had turns, jumps (that the kids could avoid if/as needed) - great runs for kids. My son wants to go here again the next visit.

Good thing is they have some tubing stuff as well for non-skiing folks in the family.

A bit costlier than the other ski park we visited, but I feel its worthwhile - they are open longer hours, so you could make use of the premium by skiing/staying longer. They have lights to ski in the late evenings, close at 9pm. We plan to try the late evening ski next visit - a bit different I expect.

Visited February 2014
“Great Kid's WoodWard Ski Lessons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

These lessons were exceptional and were altered to fit every kid's needs. The WoodWard part was a great safe indoor training with trampolines, foam pits and even a skate park. In the skate park, there were roller-skies and roller-snowboards. (Skies and snowboards with wheels) On these you can to jumps and use ramps and land in cushy foam pits. All of the instructors are great and I want to recommend Dave and Duncan. They are both very nice, helpful, they work well with kids, and teach well.

Pleasanton, California
12 attraction reviews
“Great for Kids or beginners”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is a very small ski area. I did bring our kids here because it is well priced and they are still learning. The lodge is very spacious. They have food and beverages and a bar. There were 3 lifts open, The only bad part is that you are back at the bottom in two minutes, even for the kids, It is what I would call "rubber band skiing: in that you are up and down over and over and over. Great for learning though as the lodge is at the base. Also, a good plus is that you do not have to finish by 4:00 like ALL the other ski resorts. They have lights so you can ski until 9:00. A real distinction if you take a break midday and want to continue,

The staff at the lifts were less than ok. I am a good skier and am teaching my niece and my son and the lift operators spend some time on their phones and not paying attention to the riders. This is important as they should slow the lift for beginners. They do not when they are looking at their phones.

Sierra at Tahoe is a bit better, bigger and I very much prefer Sierra. But for training the kiddos, Boreal is just fine.