“Tasty Barbecue Lolts of Other Choices” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 99 Restaurants in Truckee
Cuisines: Barbecue
Meadow Vista, California
“Tasty Barbecue Lolts of Other Choices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have happened to be in Truckee twice in the last couple weeks for a meal. Once for a breakfast, once for lunch. I'd been to Smokey's several years back & remember the Jack Daniel's Sauce Burger as being quite good. For reasons unknown I got out of the Smokey's habit & ate elsewhere when I passed through town.

A friend had tried the place & like it, when we were passing through he recommended the place for breakfast. I didn't know the place was open early. Apparently during the week a lot of other folks don't either. There were only a few other patrons when we got there. That's a mistake.

The breakfasts are generous, tasty and well worth the visit. I had The Tahoe Omelet with Smoked Sausage & found it great. An unusual choice for a breakfast side is mixed vegetables; sauteed broccoli, cauliflower, red peppers, onions, etc. Sure beats conventional fried potatoes for the health conscious.

My last visit was for lunch, I had the BBQ sampler, choice of 3 meats & corn bread. Good BBQ, although I think I should have also ordered as side salad as I missed my greens. That's a personal choice, and does not reflect on the quantity of the food. Portions are more than adequate unless you're a working lumberjack. BBQ sauce is tasty without being over spiced, meat is actually smoked as indicated by the smoke ring in the pork ribs, not just "oven ribs".

Circumstances may have me back in Truckee later this month. There's some things on the menu I'd like to try like a wrap, or perhaps a burrito.. sounds like I'll just have to go back.

• Visited August 2013

Truckee, California, United States
“BBQ joint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am not a BBQ fan, but was pleasantly surprised to find a variety of menu items here, including salads. outdoor patio is a nice place to have a leisurely meal in Truckee, away from the bustling downtown area. always a place to park!

Visited August 2012
“Good food and great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I went to Smokey's last night for dinner. Very good food. I had BBQ Chicken with two sides (about $13). A very hardy meal. Everything was really good. I highly recommend this place.
This is a casual restaurant with some outdoor seating. This is the kind of place you can go to after a long hike, and you won't feel awkward eating there. They are also located next to Highway 80. Check it out, you won't be sorry!

• Visited April 2013
Clio, California
“Great BBQ, Brisket, Pulled Pork, Chicken....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great lunch menu, with a long list of sides. Sandwichs pulled pork, pulled chicken, and brisket. Sides from Onion rings and fries, to Sowest slaw. And if you want Chilli Fries, go for it.

• Visited April 2013
Truckee, California
“Good BBQ Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I've been to this place a few times and if you looking for tasty, fast, good, reasonably-priced BBQ food, it's a great choice. It's got a huge menu with lots of main and side options. Also has lots of indoor and outdoor seating.

Visited March 2013