“Fabulous meal experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Vacaville
“Fabulous meal experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We enjoyed the most amazing meal last night at Trokay Cafe in Truckee. We had the tasting menu with the wine pairing and it was a wonderful experience. The wait staff was very kind and attentive. The fact that I'm gluten free was no problem for them and substitutes were easily made. We highly recommend Trokay to anyone who enjoys beautiful delicious food and we will definitely return!

• Visited June 2013

“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

What a fabulous restaurant. Truckee has reached new heights. The food and service is superb. Not to be missed. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited May 2013
San Francisco, California
“closest thing to dining in san francisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I had a wonderful dinner here with my friend.
The service, menu, attention to detail rivals a big city restaurant.
We opted for the a la carte menu, for some reason they only allow the tasting menu if everyone at the table gets it- didn't find out about that until we were about to order so had to re-decide.
I am gluten intolerant so they made special options for me - ( unfortunately the tasting menu was laden with gluten choices so that is why I passed on that)
Fabulous table service- small portions but very good- this is not a huge pile of pasta kind of place.
Expensive, but worth it for a special night out.

• Visited March 2013
Folsom, California
“a hundred intense flavors dazzled my tongue...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Most tasty dinner EVER! Dining at Trokay in Truckee, CA opened my eyes to what a fine dining experience really means. My tongue was not only tantalized by a hundred delicious intense flavors, my eyes were dazzled by the chef's artistic presentation of each course. The background jazz music was perfect for the setting. I selected the $60 Prix Fixe menu, which meant I had to choose between two options for each of the five courses.

For my first course, I selected the Baby Heirloom Beets, which included a variety of heirloom beets, chevre and candied walnuts. The different elements of the course were artistically splayed across a white plate. My second course was the Half Moon Bay Dungeness Crab Salad, which highlighted the taste of the crab in three cylinders of pressed crab. No greens except for a thin smear of pureed lettuce across the white plate. My entrée was the Duo of 35-day Dry Aged Wagu Beef, consisting of a rib eye cube, a braised short rib, creamed stinging nettles, black trumpet mushrooms and pommes Dauphine with Béarnaise. (The other entrée choice for the Prix Fixe menu was Seared Maine Diver Scallops.) My choice for the dessert course was the Deconstructed Pear Tart, which included a flash-frozen raspberry sorbet. All the flavors were incredibly intense.

Between courses, one of the chefs kept bringing different Amuse Bouches, including a Braised Pork Belly with pineapple and a sauce Pinot Noir. Although you can select the chef’s wine pairing for an additional $40, I elected to enjoy an $11 glass of French Pinot Noir which totally complemented the meal.

I have eaten meals in approximately 35 countries around the world and NEVER have I enjoyed a meal more! I hope the attached photos do justice to what I experienced. The portions may appear small but you will be very satisfied by the time you complete all the courses. “Traveling the world one meal at a time…”

• Visited April 2013
Palo Alto, California
“Newly opened in a new location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were some of the first to experience Trokay in its new location (10046 Donner Pass Rd). We had a wonderful dining experience, eating some innovative, fresh, and well-prepare food. There were 4 of us, and one in our party prefers vegetarian food. She was not disappointed, as they have an extensive vegetarian menu that is available on request. All of her dishes were great. The other 3 of us had two fish dishes and the ribeye. All were perfect. The steak was large, but the fish dishes not so much, which pleased us as we each had a starter (wonderful soup and a great salad), and had a little room for a shared dessert. The amuse was just OK, the little baked goods that came early were a bit too small to be tasted, but the spring garlic chutney that accompanied them was memorable (and I wish I had asked for the recipe). My husband had 2 glasses of a nice white wine that matched his dishes perfectly. We are so happy to find a fine dining restaurant in Truckee, and will be back for the 10 course tasting menu which looked great.

• Visited March 2013