“Quiet ambience, inventive food, fantastic service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 102 Restaurants in Truckee
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Excellent contemporary American cuisine. Lots of class. Superb tastes.
Houston, Texas
“Quiet ambience, inventive food, fantastic service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I just read the latest issue of Sunset magazine which highlights Stella...I couldn't agree more. My husband and I decided to try the chefs four course tasting menu and it was delicious. The menu started with a lovely amuse bouche and between each course there was a palate cleanser. In fact one in particular, the halibut ceviche bite, was remarkable. We both began with nice little salads-mine had watermelon and goat cheese in it; so fresh! Hubby started with duck pate with a frisee and pickled onion salad- very creamy, so good. I opted for a pork rillette with cherries and figs, yummy! My main course was something like a deconstructed duck reuben, WOW, and I think my husband had pork belly that he devoured. For dessert I had the chocolate ganache torte while hubby had a trio of gelato's. The desserts were good, but not as fantastic as everything else. We would recommend Stella to anyone visiting the Tahoe area. We liked it so much that our final night, we left the Ritz Carlton and stayed at the Cedar House hotel where Stella is located to be able to take advantage of their kitchen once more.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hermosa Beach, California
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were staying at the Cedar House and went to Stella one night. It was excellent!! It should not be No.2 (to Trokay) but No. 1. The food we ordered was really good; my wife and I always share and she accused me of eating more than half of the entree. The amuse-bouches added special flair. Best of all was the chef (Jacob) participating in the room and that we were waited on by all the servers; apparently they just fill in for each other as needed, and all were expert and charming. When do you move to Hermosa Beach? Mike and Sandy Lawton

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SoCal
“Gourmet dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Excellent gourmet fare. Outstanding service. Extras too numerous to name. Aside from the dishes we ordered, the waiter brought quite a few extras between courses that made it a truly memorable dining experience.

Visited July 2013
Ohio
“OMG the worst possible dining experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We went to Stella's on the recommendation of our concierge. We had the worst dining experience ever, so bad that I a writing this hours after our return. What went wrong - service was horrible, we asked for salt and pepper and it took forever to get it. Out of 8 of us, 5 of us ordered the halibut. It was not stated on the menu that the fish was served at room temp. But the absolute worst thing that happened was when my husband asked what was in his fish, he didn't have his glasses on, and I gagged when I saw this WORM wiggling in the fish. I am sick just remembering it. Most of us would've left but we were guests of friends and they didn't suggest that. They comped us my husband's dinner and dessert. It didn't matter cause nothing could've made it ok. After that, it was only a minor thing that my friend never got her coffee. It was awful!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful every which way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Staying at the Cedar House, it was a treat to discover it now also has such a great restaurant. Was greatful for the fresh, ingredients that were creative and full of flavor. Enjoyed the surprise of amuse boushe at the start and end. Pricey...but worth it. Staff is attentive and knowledgeable about all of the choices. Combined with the Cedar House it is now just about my favorite place to stay almost anywhere.

Visited July 2013