“Great Location, Great Service!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
High Sierra Golf Package
Ranked #1 of 14 hotels in Truckee
Alameda, California
“Great Location, Great Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

From the moment we pulled up to the valet, to the time we loaded up our boards and luggage to leave, we received the most courteous, sincere, helpful service!
I've stayed at a Ritz before, and I know that the service is always going to be above average at the least, but we were really pleasantly surprised with every staff member we encountered. They always had a kind word, and were eager to help.

I have to say one of the best things about this resort (in the winter time) is the Mountain Concierge. We are snowboarders, and when we pulled up to the valet to check in, the immediately told us they would be taking our gear to the mountain concierge where it would be ready for us anytime we needed it. Not only is the resort located mid-mountain at the Northstar Resort, where we had ski-in & ski-out access, we had the added convenience of having our boards ready outside for us whenever we decided to go on a lift! We felt seriously spoiled!
We had a Gondola that took us from the hotel down to the Northstar Village where we could find restaurants and shopping! The ride is a big slow, as it stops everytime anyone gets on or off, but the view during the day is gorgeous, and it is very quiet and peaceful up there, nice to slow things down a bit.
We dined at the Manzanita restaurant, and had a wonderful experience! Our wait staff was extremely friendly and knowledgable about the menu, they were attentive, and most importantly, the dinner was excellent! Try the braised short ribs with horseradish mashed potatoes, it was divine!
It was our travel companions' birthdays, so we asked they bring out a special dessert for them. They brought out an array of truffles with "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate on the plate, and a candle in some fruit. They loved it!
On our last day there, after a day of snowboarding we decided to try the spa. We all had 60 minute massages with scalp treatments. First we went down and relaxed in the hot tubs, where you can go outdoors to the pool between the Men's & Women's spas. The spa itself was not very special, the massages were good, but nothing special either. The Spa at the Ritz in Half Moon Bay had better products, ie. Bvulgari soaps and lotions, this spa just had the Ritz soaps and lotions, which were nothing special.
We really enjoyed our stay (3 nights), and if possible would stay again. The real treat if you are a skiier or snowboarder is the location & the mountain concierge. The service is also above my expectations. We loved our stay!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

354 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a medical conference held at the hotel. The rooms are wonderful. The lobby (or "living room" as they refer to it) is fabulous. The fireplace is simply ingenious! The ski in and ski out access is wonderful. Stephanie, at the concierge desk is truly delightful. She set us up with an incredible snowmobile excursion and handled our transportation to and from Reno airport as well as other reservations expertly. Thank you Stephanie!

Manzanita's food is absolutely fabulous! We went back a second night because we all wanted more pork chops!

The gondola down to the village is a bit slow (allow up to 20 minutes) however the views are spectacular, so we never minded the ride.

The skiing was nice. There were many beginner and intermediate trails for me and plenty of black diamonds for my husband. The cross country skiing was beautiful, but unfortunately, VERY difficult to get to. Northstar dropped the ball on this one. They are supposed to supply a snow cat to drive guests over there, but when we departed, no one had seen it all morning. On our walk back, we came across the driver who refused to drive us back up to the hotel because he "was on smoke break." The Ritz staff on the terrace assured us they would address that issue with Northstar staff.

The whole place shuts down rather early, so be sure to wear yourself out on the slopes during the day and hit the hay early.

The village is tad small. Olivier's and Baxter's were wonderful. I would stear clear of TC's Pub. Their food is terrible! Also, the skating rink doesn't have a zamboni, so it's a bit like skating on a pond. And, the skate shop doesn't sharpen their skates, so the combined effect is not all that much fun. But, the fire pits around the rink and the vibe in the village in general is fun. The whole place shuts down around 8 PM though.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

Just returned from a two night stay at the Ritz Tahoe and had a wonderful time relaxing at the spa and skiing Northstar. Let me first say that while the property is beautiful and for the most part the staff is helpful, there are some major design flaws with the hotel. Here we go...

1. The Ritz cheaped out so bad with their hotel to town center gondola that it's almost funny. I kid you not when I say it dead stops every 50 yards to let people out. Yes folks, they have managed to build the first ever non detachable gondola. Lifts in North Carolina are more state of the art then this boondoggle. Shame on you Ritz.

2. If you eat at Manzanita be prepared to take a taxi to the restroom. Yes folks, no restroom anywhere near the restaurant (The hosts up front think they are in Soho with some of the worst attitudes ever).

3. Ski rental store rivals Walt Disney. 2,000 kids and no organization at all. There should be separate areas for getting skis for the few people that are over 12 at the hotel.

Now let me get to all of the positives:

1. Manzanita has amazing food.

2. Rooms are very nice and comfortable

3. Great lobby area for drinks by the fire place

4. Ski in - Ski out cannot be beat

5. Spa is beautiful and you can spend hours just wandering from the steam room to the sauna, to the pool, etc.

p.s - Analyze your bill with a fine tooth comb. These desk agents are on a mission to confuse you. They must hire crafty accountants for front desk agents.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Sanger, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a stay at the new Ritz-Carlton Highlands resort in the Lake Tahoe area. I must admit that, after reading some negative Internet reviews, we were a little apprehensive about going. However, now having stayed at the resort, I can only say that the other reviewers must have had very anomalous experiences in the hotel’s first few days of operation, because we found this new hotel to be excellent in amenities, service and ambiance. Having stayed at many of the world’s finest hotels, my wife and I are pretty discerning in our tastes. With that perspective, I can state without reservations that the Ritz-Carlton Highlands is pure quality and that we will return.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

Our room was absolutely beautuful and well-designed. The Service was fabulous from the time we pulled in, through our check-in, stay, and departure. The food was very good but not quite exceptional. The staff members were very good and friendly ( except for a restaurant hostess who told us that our table would be ready "closer to our reservation time when we arrived 10 minutes early"--no reason to scold us for being early ). The ski valet staff inside and outside are a credit to the hotel. I sense that the issues with the hotel are as a result of how new it is although it really is operating at a high standard for the short time it has been open. Finally, the valet charge for the car was very irritating in light of the cost of the rooms--it just come off wrong for such a quality establishment.

Sausalito, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I spent two nights at this hotel last week with my small dog and found some things were very good and others were less so. The staff fluctuates from being very attentive to being incredibly unhelpful. The bell staff is excellent while the very overpriced spa personel are less so.
The first niight I spent there a carbon monxide detector began beeping in my room at 3:00 Am. I called the front desk who sent someone up immediately to take care of it. I expected an apology from the hotel the next morning but received nothing until I called the manager myself later on in the day. He said he was sending me a bottle of wine and some cheese as a gift to make up for my lost sleep. He also promised to make an allowance on my bill which he never did!
We had dinner one night in the dining room and the food was mediocre, the service poor, and the bill, exorbitant.
I think the hotel needs a lot of time and attention to work out the issues mentioned in other reviews as it is way too expensive for what you get now.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Woodland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

We booked the Ritz Carlton for a special trip to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday. When I read the reviews on this board, I think that either they were staying at a very busy time (and we were not) or that the Ritz has gotten their act together, because we had nothing but great service (the ski valet greeted my husband by name after the first meeting, we could hardly go ten steps in the lobby without someone asking us if we needed anything), great food (we ate at Manzanita for dinner and went back the next day for lunch because if was so good), and great skiing.

Yes, it is expensive. Yes, there are added charges (after I tipped the room service person in cash and signed the check, I realized that they had already added in a service charge and a tip.) But for a beautiful getaway, skiing as easy as it gets (seriously, you walk down and they help you on with your boots --a little weird, to be honest--and then set your skis in the snow so that all you need to do is step in), and a romantic room with a fireplace, big picture windows, and all the little extras the Ritz can't be beat.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!