“Great hotel, great service, avoid rooms with mountain view” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
High Sierra Golf Package
Ranked #1 of 14 hotels in Truckee
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Great hotel, great service, avoid rooms with mountain view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Location of the hotel is pretty remote, something I, but mostly probably not all visitors, can appreciate. The obligation to use the $35 per day valet parking is absurd considering the location of the hotel; free parking is simply not possible!

Planned to stay four nights that I prepaid in full to get a very good (non cancellable) rate. On my way from San Francisco to Truckee I got informed I had to leave the hotel after the first night's stay due to a family emergency. Upon check-in I informed front desk staff, who without any hesitation cancelled the rest of my stay and refunded the excess amount prepaid. Upon return from dinner later that night two bottles of beer on ice had been delivered to my room with an encouraging message. I have no words to express my appreciation for this level of service and sensitivity.

The one king bedroom suite with mountain view I received was wonderful: spacious, comfortable and (as requested) very quiet indeed. As you should indeed be able to expect from a Ritz Carlton room. As I suspect September to be off season (certainly on week days), the hotel was very quiet, which I very much enjoyed. Wifi comes with the room, which I would expect for a room at this rate.

However I was very, very dissapointed that (being on 4th floor) the "mountain view" consisted basically of a view of the pool/terrace area of the hotel with tall trees covering the mountains (see attached pictures).. So it was exactly the view I did NOT would have wanted for my stay; I had been looking forward to an undisturbed view of some mountains. I would actually advice valley view rooms, these also are way lower priced!

Further the bathroom was perfect, however the cover of the light switch fell of when I operated it. To conclude the complaints are of this review: the bed wasn't the best I slept in, definitely in hotels of this (price) level. Too soft, sheets not fully tugged in (slipping loose during the night). Should be improved.

I did not have dinner in the posh restaurant, but had a burger in the bar restaurant. The burger was more than adequate and tasty. The waiter was being very warm and personal even trying to speak my language when he thought he (correctly so) recognized me as a Dutchman.

Their lobby area with fireplaces is absolutely wonderfull to relax......if the hotel is quiet. During peak season I can imagine the place to be full and noisy with people fighting for the armchairs near the fire. That wasn't the case now and I had ample rest to finish my book and relax given my family circumstances.

Rushed out in the morning without having had any breakfast or having seen the Spa area.

Would I return here: definitely! Would I take a mountain view suite: I don't think so!

Room Tip: Really think twice about paying for "mountain view". It rather is pool/terrace/tree view...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

329 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe is a lovely hotel with great personal service. From the bell desk to the front desk to the concierge desk, everything is handled in an impeccable way. Our group was a challenge (with 12 adults, 1 child, 1 infant and 5 dogs), yet the hotel was up to this challenge and anticipated our every need.

The rooms are beautiful, the bathrooms spacious, but the mattress was so soft, I woke up every day with a stiff neck and back.

Unfortunately, the gondola that delivers you to and from the Northstar Village was closed, so we had to drive everywhere.

Dining at the hotel restaurant, Manzanita, was a huge disappointment, with poor service, cold food and a hefty tab of nearly $1000 (which I will review separately). Dine somewhere else!

All in all, we had a great time. My advice:

1. Stay at the hotel
2. Dine somewhere else
3. Enjoy the inventive cocktails in the bar
4. Sit by the fire pit and have s'mores!

Note to the Ritz Carlton management - please keep front desk intern Robin Cannon,who is very helpful and extremely efficient.

Room Tip: Valley views rooms are preferable to the mountain view rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe is one of those hotels that make me appreciate the finer things in life. The staff here takes every opportunity to make guests feel welcome and comfortable. On top of that, the setting - half way up the Northstar at Tahoe ski area - is nothing short of spectacular.

The rooms are large and comfortable, complete with gas fireplaces and balconies.

I can't say enough about how professional the staff is here. They strike a perfect balance by being attentive, without being intrusive. Clearly, this group is carefully selected and extremely well trained to do everything possible to make your stay a wonderful experience. Everyone from housekeeping to valets, to the managers are just too nice for words.

I guess that we all have preconceived notions about what a stay at the Ritz-Carlton would be like. This property exceeds everything that I'd imagined. It's truly a special place.

Room Tip: I think that pretty much any room at the Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe would be a good choice. We went f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Staying at the Ritz Carlton at Northstar is a delightful experience in every way! I've never had an easier ski in ski out experience with ski valets right on the snow to take your skis whether coming in for lunch or for the day. Then the boot valet just inside the doors and you are walking in your own shoes minutes after skiing ends! Cocktails in lobby bar outstanding! S'mores around the firepit in the afternoon. Of course luxurious rooms. Just perfect!

• Stayed March 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Unfortunately, I stayed at the Ritz outside of ski season since it is practically right on the slopes. During the remainder of the year there isn't near much it, although it is a nice, quiet location.

Check-in was quick and the bellman brought our luggage to our room quickly. The room was very nicely appointed and seemed quite new. Also, it was very quiet - one couldn't hear noises from outside, the elevator or surrounding rooms. The gas fireplace in the room was a very nice addition. The bed was comfortable, bathrobes nices, tub was huge, and had two sinks and a separate shower. All very tastefully done.

After my wife took a bath the tub wouldn't drain and a repairman was up very fast, did the repair, and when we returned to the room there was a small give with a handwritten note apologizing for the inconvenience and thanking us for allowing him to rectify the situation. (This is what makes a Ritz exceptional.)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Algarve
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in interconnecting rooms for one night as a family to check out the famous Lake Tahoe area before we finished our trip across the US.

The rooms are lovely with fantastic fireplaces, good quality bedding and linen and good sized bathrooms.

The pool area was nice for a quick dip to relax.

The restaurant where we had both dinner and breakfast (Manzanita) - had a warm and cosy decor but was not exceptional at its price. However, it served its purpose. It's probably the only thing I had to criticise about the hotel.

The drive to the Lake was very quick and the whole area is beautiful. I'm sure it's all amazing during the winter.

The service was exceptional all-round - from the door, to the front desk, to the restaurant. The front desk even gave the kids smores kits for the open fires outside in the evening!

Lovely stay and would recommend this place for families - high price for low season but you're paying for quality of accommodation and top-quality service. Well worth the trip from San Francisco for one night!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My family and I have stayed here during summer, winter and over Thanksgiving. Each visit was excellent. The staff are wonderful, food is great and location is spot on. Take the lift up to ski or down for ice skating or bungee jumping.
They have gone above and beyond every time for our young daughter. And you must try "Smore-ology"! The chef comes out to the fire pit in back to help everyone young & old make smores. You cannot get any better.
We plan on making the Ritz Carlton our family Thanksgiving tradition!

Room Tip: We enjoy the slopes/pool view rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!