I stayed here with my wife and two kids (1 and 8 yrs old) and another couple with their 2 year-old. After flying into Reno, we drove to the hotel (30-40 mins) and once we approached the hotel we knew we were in for a treat - it was amazing, a truly beautiful property. We were greeted with smiles and welcomes the moment we arrived. Kyle, at the Front Desk, was great; friendly and welcoming. When we arrived at our room (5th floor overlooking the pool) my daughter was beaming with excitement; her bed was a little pink/purple tent near the foot of our bed!! She has always wanted to go camping, and this is definitely our kind of "camping." Needless to say, she was delighted. We stayed in a room with a king bed, a tent, and a crib, and there was still plenty of room - very spacious. The room was what you would expect from a Ritz, and the bathroom had a great walk-in shower. Both the shower and the toilet had smoked glass doors which helped tremendously with the privacy. All in all, a great room.
After we were settled in our room, we took the families outside to the fire pit where we were able to catch the Marshmalogy session - this is just a great idea; a chef and some assistants basically set you up to toast marshmallows and make smores (the caramel marshmallows are delicious). The kids loved it and the setting was absolutely surreal. Whoever came up with this idea should get a raise. Afterwards, we had dinner at Manzanita. The food was delicious, though a bit pricey. I recommend splitting the entree with your partner since the portions are quite large. We did and it worked out perfect.
In the morning, we had breakfast at the Club Lounge. Wow! The views were spectacular. Billie and Maxmillian were very welcoming, always smiling and making sure we had everything we needed. The food and the staff were so great that we had breakfast there every morning (5 days)! Truly a great experience. Afterwards, we went to the lobby to seek out the concierge for some recommendations and we came across an employee, John-Michael (I think he was a server), who was going out of his way to make our 1 year-old laugh. He inquired about our stay and asked us if we needed anything. Always looking for advice from locals, we asked him to recommend a good place to eat at the lake, and he told us about Gar Woods (sp?). I can't remember the town it was in, but, for four adults and three kids, it was a great recommendation; right on the lake, and we took the kids down to the beach after dinner to skip rocks - they LOVED it. Thanks again, John-Michael!
The Village was also a great recommendation for lighter fare and fun for the kids. The gondola takes you right down to the Village, and we ate at the pizza restaurant (I forget the name). It was quite good and family friendly. We all loved the atmosphere, which made it great for us parents to enjoy ourselves. I recommend getting there early though, as almost all of the stores/activities were closed by 9pm. I should also mention that Sandy Harbor Beach was the most beautiful beach relatively near the hotel (30-40mins), but you definitely need to get there early. The parking is limited and the lot fills by noon. After that, you wait in line - one car in, one car out. There is no roadside parking available. The concierge did warn us about this, so keep it in mind as it will definitely eat into your time.
All in all, this hotel absolutely exceeded our expectations, and we've stayed at a number of Ritz-Carltons. As a matter of fact, we've stayed at a number of phenomenal resorts over the years, and this was by far one of the best experiences. The employees all seemed delighted to work there, the rooms were spacious and well appointed, and the grounds were surreal. Kudos to the staff and management, you're doing it right. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, and we will most certainly be back. Thanks for the memories!!
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe Hotel Truckee
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Featuring a mid-mountain location on Northstar California, The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe is the first and only AAA Five Diamond mountain resort in California. Highlights include luxurious guest rooms and suites with in-room fire places and floor-to-ceiling windows; ski-in/ski-out access on Northstar California with ski valet services; a 17,000 sq ft slopeside spa with treatments themed around water and woods; extraordinary dining in Manzanita featuring rustic California cuisine with mountain resort influences; a signature "Marshmology" experience each evening at the fire pit featuring the “Art of the S’more"; and a comprehensive children’s program allowing parents to make the most of their Lake Tahoe vacationDuring the winter season, The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe’s mid-mountain location provides for ski-in / ski-out access to Northstar California, consistently touted as one of the nation’s best family-friendly ski resorts. With a slope-side location on Northstar’s “Big Easy” run, the ski-in/ski-out access can be enjoyed by skiers and riders of any level. When you are ready for a day on the mountain, simply head down to mountain concierge where the ski valets will assist you with your boots and escort you to your skis and poles waiting on the slopes. Northstar offers world-class grooming and provides a plethora of family activities in the Village at Northstar accessed from the hotel by an intermountain gondola. At the heart of the Village is a 9,000 sq ft ice skating rink surrounded by cozy fire pits and a variety of options for shopping, dining and entertainment. During the summer months, Northstar transforms into family-friendly playground offering the region’s best mountain adventure. Families and their four-legged friends will love hiking the easy loop to Sawmill Lake. After a day on the mountain, guests can gather around the fire pit with The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe Marshmologist for complimentary s’mores, enjoy cocktails on the resort’s heated outdoor terrace or enjoy a game of bocce in the backyard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel, Fareportal and Agoda so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.