We just returned from a week long stay at The Ritz Carlton Lake Tahoe and had a wonderful time at this resort. I've stayed in a few Ritz Carlton's in the past and this might be my favorite. Is it a large resort? No. Does it have a lot of activity surrounding the hotel (in the summer)? No. But the beauty of this hotel in the summers months is the isolation and just how quite it seems to be. Since there are plenty of places to go around the resort in the summer, when deciding to stay at the resort for a day, there isn't an overwhelming amount of people there because of golf, Lake Tahoe, amongst other things to do. The resort is one of the smaller properties...I think less than 300 rooms and the amenities are appropriate for that number of rooms. The pool isn't huge but is extremely comfortable, accomodating and well serviced. There are plenty of things to do with the family...Crocket, Cornhole, Frizbee Golf, Kids Toys, Volleyball, Hiking, ect...my 2 year old loved playing all the games.
Again the resort is small, so the one restuarant must do. We only ate there for breakfast because of the poor reviews on TripAdvisor...and you can't screw up breakfast. I can see how a winter traveler could get very frustrated by the size of the resort considering that random people that "steal" the service you demand by paying $900/night. I know that winter is the money maker for this resort but I would certainly hope that they would try to ensure that guests get the privileges they are paying dearly for and not the person paying for a one day lift ticket.
There are plenty of places to eat at NorthStar, Truckee, and Kings Beach area. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU RENT A CAR IF YOU'RE STAYING HERE FROM WELL OUT OF TOWN. The parking is a little over the top at $35/day but you don't stay here for value, you stay here for service and relaxation...so value better not be your mission. You simply need a car to get the full experience of the area. Not renting a car, in my opinion, would certainly ruin your enjoyment of the area.
The service and help at the hotel was really good. We never had problem getting our car, conceirge service (Sherry was great!!), or just needing some help by staff. We were helped numerous times by staff members for random things and they did it with a smile, which is expected/appreciated.
My wife used the spa facilities for massage and manicure/pedicure. My wife is picky about these things, especially when she's paying a good amount for them. She said that the treatments were great overall...some of the best she's had. However, she pointed out that the "experience" of the spa just wasn't that great, memorable or worth the money. The experiences at spas at other Ritz's, Grant Hyatt's or Waldorf Astoria's far exceeded the experience at this property...but again, treatments were very good. She's also said that there is only one person to do manicure's and pedicure's...so if you want to do them with someone else, you're waiting your turn. This seems to be a theme on TripAdvisor, so maybe something the resort could work on.
My review of this resort is very high. Lake Tahoe is one of my new favorite vacation spots after my experience this past week. I'm not a skier, so I don't know if $800+/night is up my alley but the summer rates ($300+/night) were good for one of our rooms and Marriott points worked for the other (my wife's mom and dad). I enjoyed the quite, relaxing, service filled week that you expect when staying at Ritz Carlton. This is not a huge resort but that is the charm of the place. Come here to relax for a week or just a couple of nights and I think you'll really enjoy it.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe Hotel
- The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe Hotel Truckee
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Featuring a mid-mountain location on Northstar California, The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe is the first and only AAA Five Diamond mountain resort in California. Highlights include luxurious guest rooms and suites with in-room fire places and floor-to-ceiling windows; ski-in/ski-out access on Northstar California with ski valet services; a 17,000 sq ft slopeside spa with treatments themed around water and woods; extraordinary dining in Manzanita featuring rustic California cuisine with mountain resort influences; a signature "Marshmology" experience each evening at the fire pit featuring the “Art of the S’more"; and a comprehensive children’s program allowing parents to make the most of their Lake Tahoe vacationDuring the winter season, The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe’s mid-mountain location provides for ski-in / ski-out access to Northstar California, consistently touted as one of the nation’s best family-friendly ski resorts. With a slope-side location on Northstar’s “Big Easy” run, the ski-in/ski-out access can be enjoyed by skiers and riders of any level. When you are ready for a day on the mountain, simply head down to mountain concierge where the ski valets will assist you with your boots and escort you to your skis and poles waiting on the slopes. Northstar offers world-class grooming and provides a plethora of family activities in the Village at Northstar accessed from the hotel by an intermountain gondola. At the heart of the Village is a 9,000 sq ft ice skating rink surrounded by cozy fire pits and a variety of options for shopping, dining and entertainment. During the summer months, Northstar transforms into family-friendly playground offering the region’s best mountain adventure. Families and their four-legged friends will love hiking the easy loop to Sawmill Lake. After a day on the mountain, guests can gather around the fire pit with The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe Marshmologist for complimentary s’mores, enjoy cocktails on the resort’s heated outdoor terrace or enjoy a game of bocce in the backyard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Tingo, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.