I will divide my review into Great and Needs Improvement.
1. Beautiful Location and hotel itself--just know that it is pretty isolated from the rest of the conveniences. A drive to a CVS (in unlucky event you get sick) is good 20 minutes each way
2. nice large rooms. We had a suite connecting to a regular room--perfect arrangement if you have kids
3. great spa--and you have unlimited use of spa facilities for FREE--it is a part of the resort fee that they charge
3. Gondola ride down to the Northstar Village--kids really got a kick out of it (just bear in mind that there is not much to do once you are down there...nor are there many restaurant options there either so you are pretty limited in your menu options...
4. Looked like a perfect hotel if you ski (we don't but we enjoyed watching other people skiing)
5. Impeccable service from all staff members--truly memorable
1. Food. We had dinner at the LIving Room--very mediocre and they messed up the order twice.
2. TV programs for kids. Absolutely NOTHING for little kids (ages 2 and 4) to watch UNLESS you buy a show ($3 for 25 minuted of Super WHY...) There was a TON of little kids at the resort and it would be nice if the hotel offered some Nick JR or Sprout programs in the room. After all, they cannot spend all day outside and at some point you will need your sanity time in the room while they are occupied..
3. Sledding. The Resort gives you sleds for the kids for free. Great! BUT they do not designate the areas where you can actually use them...not so great as there are skiing trails and you cannot take little kids sledding because you will get knocked over. Moreover, the guys at the ski/sled booth advised us that we cannot sled down the hill. ????? then why do you offer free sleds??? we did use them of course. Once the resort patrol advised us not to sled in a certian area because if we hit the nets it is a liability for the resort. Again. ??? There are no signs anywhere that say "no sledding here" nor are there signs that say "sled here". Ritz needs to designate an area where kids can safely sled down the hill just like they have designated an area where little kids learn how to ski. What is so difficult about that? With the volume of families they have, this is a MUST. Don't give me the sleds and then tell me I cannot use them--that is just ridiculous.
So...if I was there with my husband for a couple's vacation, I would give the resort a 4 star rating because there was not much to complain about but food. However, as I was there with my little kids, I am giving it 3 starts as they really need to work on improving the family experience. Little things make a difference. And one more thing to remember--the rooms that overlook the ski slopes, the pool etc. are VERY NOISY at night because of the slope grooming machines. They do sound like construction vehicles and they work ALL NIGHT. If you are a sensitive sleeper, I suggest you get the rooms looking the other side of the resort...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Featuring a mid-mountain location on Northstar California, The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe is the first and only AAA Five Diamond mountain resort in California. Highlights include luxurious guest rooms and suites with in-room fire places and floor-to-ceiling windows; ski-in/ski-out access on Northstar California with ski valet services; a 17,000 sq ft slopeside spa with treatments themed around water and woods; extraordinary dining in Manzanita featuring rustic California cuisine with mountain resort influences; a signature "Marshmology" experience each evening at the fire pit featuring the “Art of the S’more"; and a comprehensive children’s program allowing parents to make the most of their Lake Tahoe vacationDuring the winter season, The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe’s mid-mountain location provides for ski-in / ski-out access to Northstar California, consistently touted as one of the nation’s best family-friendly ski resorts. With a slope-side location on Northstar’s “Big Easy” run, the ski-in/ski-out access can be enjoyed by skiers and riders of any level. When you are ready for a day on the mountain, simply head down to mountain concierge where the ski valets will assist you with your boots and escort you to your skis and poles waiting on the slopes. Northstar offers world-class grooming and provides a plethora of family activities in the Village at Northstar accessed from the hotel by an intermountain gondola. At the heart of the Village is a 9,000 sq ft ice skating rink surrounded by cozy fire pits and a variety of options for shopping, dining and entertainment. During the summer months, Northstar transforms into family-friendly playground offering the region’s best mountain adventure. Families and their four-legged friends will love hiking the easy loop to Sawmill Lake. After a day on the mountain, guests can gather around the fire pit with The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe Marshmologist for complimentary s’mores, enjoy cocktails on the resort’s heated outdoor terrace or enjoy a game of bocce in the backyard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe Hotel Truckee