Northstar manages the rentals of the many condos on the property. We were looking for a place for 3 nights that was centrally located in the north Tahoe area. Website pictures looked good, so we reserved a 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath condo for my wife, my self, and our son. The person who helped us said they were not very busy, and she would get us a nicer unit close to the village. These are NOT cheap places, so while I didn't expect luxury, I did expect somewhat modern, clean, and functional. Not what I got.
When we got the first set of keys, we opened the front door to a dump. The carpet looked like 30 year old shag, with large stains, similar to what would happen if you had a big dog that was not potty trained. The furniture was ugly and dated, the kitchen barely functional. The cheapest appliances possible. Dingy. I have rented a LOT of vacation condos, and this was the worst.
We went back to the rental office. I asked if anyone in that office had actually SEEN the inside of this unit, they shrugged and said all units were 'inspected'. They were able to find another unit. It was quite old and a bit beat up, but the kitchen was updated. Furniture was fine, bed lumpy but usable. It was a OK ski type condo for a bunch of young people, and worked for a couple of days for us. Being the summer, it was quite warm outside, and the units do not have central fans or air conditioning. Not even a celling fan! It gets quite stuffy.
Bottom line - The condos at Northstar that we saw were old and threadbare. The management has dubious 'inspection' tastes, and apparently does not notice obvious failings. You MAY get a decent unit, or you may not. If they were full, and we would have been stuck. I would have left and not paid the credit card charge. That is how bad it was.
If you plan on going, get pictures of the ACTUAL unit. Better yet, find a better complex.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Northstar California Resort beckons visitors with its 3,170 skiable acres of impeccably-groomed trails and dramatic glade skiing; variety of luxury and family accommodations; and penchant for food and wine which highlights the best of California's freshly-sourced, seasonal ingredients. Distinctive detail imparts a true sense of California laid-back luxury and style - from The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe's slopeside elegance, mountain-view patios, award-winning spa and decadent cuisine, to The Village at Northstar's fine boutique shops, restaurants, movie cinema, 9,000 square-foot skating rink, heated cabanas and fire pits perfect for roasting S'mores. Deemed the best resort for families by Outside Magazine, Northstar California's intimate yet approachable atmosphere offers a year-round retreat which pours forth world-class ski and ride programs, culinary excellence and unique traditions which together offer an experience of a lifetime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Expedia so you can book your The Village at Northstar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Northstar-At-Tahoe Hotel Truckee
- Northstar At Tahoe Truckee