This property can really range from a 2-star to a 4-star property depending on who you rent the actual room/condo from. The four-star rating is actually for the first stay with Tahoe Mountain Lodging property in Northstar.
Stayed on this property (in the Village itself) twice - the first time rented it via TahoeMountainLodging (great). The next time it was through Northstar Property Management (poor). The rates turned out to be the same - however the quality of stay was quite different - Tahoe Mountain Lodging offered a far superior room and service.
Tahoe Mountain Lodging has a reception/lobby in the Village - whereas the Northstar Property Management had their reception/lobby in the entrance to the Northstar resort area off hwy 267 (about a mile and half from the Village itself).
The room offered by Tahoe Mountain Lodging was luxurious, clean and new. They also had ski racks in the ground floor and you did not have to lug your skis and boots to the room upstairs. The room was quite expensive but the price was something you could relate to the quality. Kitchen and bathroom were extremely well appointed, clean, functional and luxurious. They offered covered underground parking for these lodging. Nothing to complain about really if you were willing to pay the price in the first place.
My second stay, which was a room booked via Northstar Property Management had outdated/musty carpets, poor beds (very cheap and soft - could not really use them) - and the cupboards were barely useable as they were filled with the owner's junk and cleaning equipment. The TV did not work right - cable and DVD players were broken (and took half a day of not skiing to get right). No convenient ski storage in the building ground floor. The bathroom door was a pain to use (one which was a heavy hanging door with no handles to hold onto or locks). The showers looked fancy but were not really functional or powerful. The toilet flush broke down the first night we were there. Really a two-star place (one because it was clean including the kitchen and one additional star for the location) for the price paid - no comparison to the Tahoe Mountain Lodging property. I would definitely not rent from Northstar Property Management again and would rather chose to stay out in Truckee as there are no other reasonable options nearby.
I take it there are also owner-direct properties - which could be rented from VRBO - those could be hit or miss as well.
Both rooms did not offer Daily Housekeeping for the duration of our stay (3 days). Northstar Village itself can be quiet boring after skiing in the winter - but for the cabanas and the ski-rink. If you want a better after ski-life you would go to Truckee or better yet to South Lake Tahoe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Northstar-at-Tahoe™ Resort is host to a recently completed $55 million base area village featuring movie theaters, conference spaces, and 35 unique shops, galleries, California-based specialty stores and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, Amex, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline and Venere so you can book your Northstar California Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Northstar-At-Tahoe Hotel Truckee
- Northstar At Tahoe Truckee