I have been to Northstar for the last 2 years. Each of those year the staff had reserved a section of the mountain near the ski school for snow play, including sledding. That area was "fenced off" from skier and was very safe to be in. It was very nice, having 1 kid in the ski school it was possible to play in the snow even sledding, they had build a nice little ramp for that, while keeping an eye on the older sibling ski development.
But this year they decided that providing a safe environment for family where kids can play and safely sled was no longer a good thing to have, instead kids play directly in the ski run which is way dangerous and they are banning sledding all together . Unfortunate when you have kids, at the end of the day, it is nice to have an outlet where they can just play in the snow and NortStar made sure to remove that and made it even less save. So staying at Northstar is no longer a viable options especially if you have very young kids and they just want to play in the snow, including sledding, in a safe environment go somewhere else. They offer tubing, but then, it requires you to go up the mountain and it is hourly, runs only during ski hours, the old play and sledding area was very nice, could use it until dark, safe convenient (*$ is very closed by) and have access the restroom.
Because of this change I give Northstar an average. They have the potential of being to go to place in Tahoe-Reno area but since they change their snow play area I can't give them more than 3 stars
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Northstar California Resort beckons visitors with its 3,170 skiable acres of impeccably-groomed trails and dramatic glade skiing; variety of luxury and family accommodations; and penchant for food and wine which highlights the best of California's freshly-sourced, seasonal ingredients. Distinctive detail imparts a true sense of California laid-back luxury and style - from The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe's slopeside elegance, mountain-view patios, award-winning spa and decadent cuisine, to The Village at Northstar's fine boutique shops, restaurants, movie cinema, 9,000 square-foot skating rink, heated cabanas and fire pits perfect for roasting S'mores. Deemed the best resort for families by Outside Magazine, Northstar California's intimate yet approachable atmosphere offers a year-round retreat which pours forth world-class ski and ride programs, culinary excellence and unique traditions which together offer an experience of a lifetime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Village at Northstar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Northstar-At-Tahoe Hotel Truckee
- Northstar At Tahoe Truckee