“Beautiful condos, warmly appointed” 4 of 5 stars

Northstar California Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   5001 Northstar Drive, PO Box 129, Truckee, CA 96161   |
Ranked #7 of 14 hotels in Truckee
Southern California
“Beautiful condos, warmly appointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed in one of the one bedroom condos in the Ironhorse South building. I was impressed by how well appointed the kitchen was. We especially enjoyed snuggling in front of the large, stone gas fireplace on chilly winter nights. You can walk right from the condo to the lifts and slopes. The bellman also recommended we rent skis through the Black Tie service, which comes right to your room to fit you with all your gear. It was so much easier than dealing with the lines the next morning.

Room Tip: I was glad our room was away from the center of The Village, as it was a little quieter where we wer...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We were originally going to go to Squaw but when we arrived in Tahoe, everyone told us that Northstar had invested the money in snow making and trails, and that they had the better snow, and it was true! Had a GREAT day of skiing there, lots of fun, beautiful vista views of the mountains and the lake. Had a great lunch at the Summit Deck and the new Zephyr Lodge was amazing! Food wasn't cheap, but the free parking was easy, a shuttle came every 2 minutes it seemed and dropped us off right at the village. The Northstar Village was HUGE and had lots of shops and restaurants. Everyone was so friendly!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I usually love this resort, but the conditions this year(i.e. lack of snow) make it a bit painful to pay 100 dollars a lift ticket when 1/3 of the lifts are closed and the open ones are in horrible condition. If you have to ski this year up in Tahoe for some reason, I'd probably just pick a smaller resort like diamond peak or mt rose for 1/2 the price, since you're likely to ski about the same amount of terrain. The village is still lively and fun, but if you're a skier, I'd probably just wait until next season before visiting. They really should discount the lift tickets this year given how horrible the conditions are.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
memphis, tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My girlfriends and I stayed in Northstar-at-Tahoe resort, and the ski-in, ski-out condo was fantastic. Very clean, super convenient, and I loved the ski locker on the ground floor. Even though there was no natural snow, the snow-makers were running and we had enough snow to keep us busy for four days. I have to admit, I am not a mogul skier. Blues and greens for me, and there were enough runs for me to have a bit of variety. The weather was beautiful, although some snow clouds would have been welcome. The staff were friendly and helpful, without exception. Restaurants were great and not too expensive. Lunch at Zephr lodge slope-side is a must-do. Non-skiers can take the gondola up for lunch and pictures. Oh, and there are professional photographers there to take your group's picture. Very, very nice!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Danville, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We strongly recommend to NOT stay at Northstar. Even if you have money to spend, you will be much better off staying off-resort and driving there. We stayed at Northstar Village for the two nights from January 7, 2012. When I made the reservation for my family in early December, all Web sites including Northstar's own Website, northstarattahoe.com, and all the travel sites I visited such as Travelocity and Expedia showed no availability. I became suspicious as all other snow resorts showed much availability given the lack of snow this season. So I called Northstar central reservation and was indeed told that there are ample availability. At this point, I assumed that they may be having some difficulty selling their rooms online due to their recent acquisition by Vail Resort and resulting system merger. I asked the reservation agent accordingly but he said he has not been informed about anything regarding the online reservation.
I proceeded to reserve a room with him, and asked him specifically for a room that fits a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) in the NEW village, close to or better in the same building as the overnight ski storage facility, which is located right next to Chocolate Bar if you know where that is, because my wife and I did not want to walk any long distance with our ski boots on as we both have been suffering bad lower back. The reservation agent at Northstar assured me that we will get a room very close to the locker facility. By the way, the previous time we visited Northstar during 2011 Thanksgiving week, we stayed at Village at Squaw Valley. They accommodated the same request and put us in a room very close to the chair lift (ski lockers are located within each building in Squaw's case). We intended to ski at Squaw the whole week but ended up driving to Northstar everyday for half of the week because Squaw had only limited slopes open due to lack of snow whereas Northstar had more slopes open. So we did not stay at Northstar the previous time. Anyway, I completed the reservation with him and received a confirmation email for a room with 2 queen beds with a request for 2 sleeping pads to be in the room (for our two boys). The room rate was at $309 per night. I visited back Northstar's Website and confirmed that the price is within the range for a room at the Village quoted on Northstar's Website - Northstar Village Rooms + Lofts: $175 - $405. This was on the "Lodging Rates and Description" page where they listed comprehensively all the lodging types and their price ranges. I looked for the lodging type "NEW Village" on the page but I could not find it and thus assumed that "Northstar Village" meant the NEW Village. As of today, this has not channged and I have saved a copy of this page. So on January 7, 2012, we picked up our kids from school and drove up to Northstar. And as we checked into the room, we found out that we were booked in the OLD Northstar Village building room #9207. Not only the room was not in the New Village close to the ski locker, but also very run down to say the least. There was water leaking from bath shower squeaking glass door. The room carpet was kind of moist and had lots of hairs left from prior guests. There was even a Christmas card to a mom and a jacket hood lying like left over trash from previous guest on the floor behind the curtain. The noise from upper floor corridor as well as the voice of another guest talking loud on cell phone in the elevator lobby was coming down loud and very bothering. The room was extremely cramped and virtually no room to use the sleeping pads. The server glass kettle for the coffee machine was broken and leaked water. Worst of all, the room was totally outdated and not equipped like a $309 per night accommodation facility. It was like a run-down cheap Motel room and obviously far from what's been described in the Northstar lodging pages. It was late at night that we arrived and had no energy left to go back to the front desk driving for minutes. We had early morning to get the kids to the ski school. So we decided to bear the uncomfortable for this stay. Upon check out in the morning on January 8th, Sunday, I complained to Adam, the front desk clerk who checked us out. His comments made our aggrevation worse - he said "what do you want? some kind of compensation? The New Village room would have cost you twice as much" I could not believe my ears. "You mean six hundred eighteen dollars a night !?" Adam said "Yes." I did not tell him that the price he was quoting was far higher than the range shown on their Web page. I asked him to talk to the management of Northstar Lodging about our unpleasant experience and get back to me. Adam said, "I will and send you an email TODAY." I did not receive any mail from Adam. The only thing I received from Northstar is a request to fill out a survey which I received this morning. We totally feel rediculed by them.

Room Tip: Stay off-resort and drive to Northstar, parking is free.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
San Rafael, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The ski trail condos at North Star have arguably the best location for staying and skiing in Lake Tahoe, and the NorthStar development that manages them has definately the worst housekeeping service for these condos. We have come between Christmas and New Years for many years and have the same horrible (yes horrible) service each time. I just do not learn! We come with four other families. We go other places some years after I remind everyone how bad the housekeeping is,and then someone says - but if we stay on the ski trail condos it will be so convenient and relaxing.

So once again, the condos are not clean when you arrive. No one will respond when you complain. You ARE provided one cleaning service every three days. The cleaners came at 8:15 AM on the third day. We asked them to come back. They did in 15 minutes. We asked if they would come back in 1-2 hours, they said no. We asked if they would come back the next day and they said maybe and walked away. I should, I really should be used to this by now - see above but I was rather surprised at the brazen response. So the next day at 9 when we walked out to go skiing, I saw the same exact person who woke us up at 8:15 and asked if we please could get service and if we please could get fresh towels. She just looked at me and ignored me. Naturally nothing happened until our last day when once again, knock, knock at 8:15 - please when are you leaving, we need to clean.... So if location is all you need - these places are for you, but come with scouring pads, a vacuum cleaner, extra towels and soap. Please do not bother complaining, I do, and nothin happens - housekeeping is closed at 4 so if you check in to a dirty place and you cannot check in before 4 - you are out of luck..... I have and I hope that I can get my family to go to another resort next year. As an aside - the folks on the mountain at North Star are great! They are courteous

Room Tip: Ask for a GOLD condo, as they come in GOLd, Silver and Bronze. Ours was a Silver and very poorly mai...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We rented a 3br condo and paid over $700 a night. I almost couldn't stay here. The shag carpet had pieces of food in it, the tile floor in the kitchen was sticky, there was hair in the bathroom (as well as bits of toilet paper or tissue) on the floor, the bath/shower was stained, and the sheets weren't clean. The only reason we didn't leave is that there was no other option for lodging (it was the week between Christmas and New Years).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Northstar California Resort? Share your experiences!