“Nice Lakeview Room in Dormitory Building” 4 of 5 stars

Donner Lake Village
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   15695 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, CA 96161   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Truckee
Northern California
“Nice Lakeview Room in Dormitory Building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I first saw this complex of buildings in October and was curious but in walking around the grounds I could find no one about, just a few cars in a large grouping of seemingly desolate buildings, a bit like wandering in a modern day de Chirico painting. But it is on Donner Lake, which I love, so I threw caution to the winds a few months later and looked at their website. It was confusing, with various kinds of rentals and all apparently looked different. I called to make a reservation during a "down" time when many hotels had few occupants. We would arrive about 8 hours later and I wanted to see a room before booking, as I was confused by the welter of possibilities and also by the very mixed reviews I had read. I was told by the reservationist that rooms were beginning to fill up; there may not be one left and so I should book that instant. I did this, but felt deceived when we arrived, fairly late at night, to see that there were only three other cars in the large parking lot. And during our stay, we encountered about that many other guests.

But the room on the lake was lovely, the kitchen clean and ample and the little balcony affording a great view of the beautiful lake. The decor was pleasant–– antique iron and wooden artifacts interspersed with old photographs of the area. When we first arrived and walked down the dormitory-like hallway my husband said, "If I had known the carpet was so dingy I would never have come here." And then a half hour later he said, "these fascinating old photographs on the walls make it worth the price of admission."

A friend said she used to work there and that it had been a kind of conference center run by a very nice man so that explains the dorm feel. At the end of the hallways are very lovely lounges for perhaps a dozen or more people providing wonderful views of the lake.

So, despite the kind of oddness of the lodging, we will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a lake view: beaitiful!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Winnemucca, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have never been thru the Donner Pass since I was 14. Then it was a winter wonderland. This time the fall color is beautiful and the view of the Donner lake and Donner Lake Village is awesome. In the distance I could see snow being made on the ski slopes of the Sugar Bowl. When I finally got down to the village the lake was so still it was like looking at a mirror image of the surrounding mountains. The boat docks around the lake look lonely. I stopped in at the Donner Lake Kitchen to have a bite to eat. I didn't care for the gravy but the biscuits were really good. I plan to go back after the snow falls.

Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Silver Springs, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

We were only there one night but service was great, rooms were nice, with connecting doors so the three couples could get together after dinner to talk. We could walk to the lake in a few steps. We went in late October and it rained & SNOWED, but we loved it and were prepared for it.

Room Tip: Its on Donner Lake and has a beach on the property so, we had ground floor rooms with easy beach acc...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Stateline, Nevada, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

Got there to find the rental office closed.. did not know it was a condo rental. Called the manager who came over right away, checked us in and offered us great info about the area and the facility which was unfortunately under construction. No loud noise, they seemed to keep that well contained. The room was decorated nicely, they are all individually done.. this suited out needs. It is an older property on the water that is well cared for.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

Excellent customer service, I appreciated a run down of the facility, and the awareness of the lounge area, with a gas lit fireplace, overlooking the serenity of the lake. Our room was appointed nicely, and comfortable, with a partial view of the lake.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Pleasant Hill, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

Nestled on Donner Lake with gorgeous views of mountains and lake..Property is very clean and well groomed..We enjoy the lower level (2 story) with seating and picnic table on our patio...There is a boat rental on the property and docks to tie up or just relax and maybe fish.

Room Tip: No Elevators..Request ground floor
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Peters, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2014

I LOVED staying here. Wish we could have stayed longer. The front desk person was nice, the accommodations was more than we expected. We stayed in a lakeside view lodgette. It was PERFECT! The room was decorated really cute, the beds were comfortable (even the pull out couch), the view was better than expected and I love the fact that the resort is eco conscious. They have recycling bins and the soaps, etc., are eco friendly as are the cleaning supplies they use. I highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a lakeview room. You won't regret paying the extra $.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
DTFam10558, General Manager at Donner Lake Village, responded to this review, September 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at Donner Lake. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for recognizing our efforts to improve the hotel recycling and product lines.
We hope you can visit us again soon.

Dan Tester

Been to Donner Lake Village? Share your experiences!