I first saw this complex of buildings in October and was curious but in walking around the grounds I could find no one about, just a few cars in a large grouping of seemingly desolate buildings, a bit like wandering in a modern day de Chirico painting. But it is on Donner Lake, which I love, so I threw caution to the winds a few months later and looked at their website. It was confusing, with various kinds of rentals and all apparently looked different. I called to make a reservation during a "down" time when many hotels had few occupants. We would arrive about 8 hours later and I wanted to see a room before booking, as I was confused by the welter of possibilities and also by the very mixed reviews I had read. I was told by the reservationist that rooms were beginning to fill up; there may not be one left and so I should book that instant. I did this, but felt deceived when we arrived, fairly late at night, to see that there were only three other cars in the large parking lot. And during our stay, we encountered about that many other guests.
But the room on the lake was lovely, the kitchen clean and ample and the little balcony affording a great view of the beautiful lake. The decor was pleasant–– antique iron and wooden artifacts interspersed with old photographs of the area. When we first arrived and walked down the dormitory-like hallway my husband said, "If I had known the carpet was so dingy I would never have come here." And then a half hour later he said, "these fascinating old photographs on the walls make it worth the price of admission."
A friend said she used to work there and that it had been a kind of conference center run by a very nice man so that explains the dorm feel. At the end of the hallways are very lovely lounges for perhaps a dozen or more people providing wonderful views of the lake.
So, despite the kind of oddness of the lodging, we will definitely stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Donner Lake Village is a year-round condominium resort nestled in the pines on the west shore of Donner Lake, one of the Sierra Nevada's most charming and beautiful alpine lakes. Our friendly staff can help you plan your visit, too. Encounter serenity in a one or two-bedroom suite, studio or spacious room complete with microwaves, refrigerators and FREE high speed wireless internet. Easy access to year round activities. In summer enjoy our private beach and marina with boat rentals. In winter hit the slopes at eight nearby world class ski resorts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Donner Lake Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Donner Lake Village Hotel Truckee
- Donner Lake Hotel
- Donner Lake Resort
- Donner Lake Village Resort