“Serene and charming lakeside accomodation” 4 of 5 stars

Donner Lake Village
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   15695 Donner Pass Road, Truckee, CA 96161   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Truckee
London
“Serene and charming lakeside accomodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

We were skiing in Tahoe for few days and chose Donner Lake and I'm really glad we did. The location is fabulous. I personally find smaller lakes more charming and cozy. We had a 1 bedroom suite at the end of the building next to the lake so we faced the lake on both sides of the living room.

The accomodation was spacious. Things were on the more basic side but the view was unbeatable. It was great to come back at the end of the day and cook dinner in the full kitchen.

We thought it was really good value overall (they were running a mid-week special). And the drive to Squaw Valley was convenient and scenic (20 min) though a bit far from Heavenly (about an hour on the Western Shore passing by amazing vista points like Vikingsholm)...

• Liked — Location location location
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

I just spent two nights at DLVR and am amazed at what a great place it is for the price — or even for a higher price!

In the "shopping-around" phase, I was impressed at the price for my single-occupancy stay, but thought I'd compare with area motels. They all offered less for around the same price, or a higher price.

Listen: for about $90 I got to stay in a spacious room with a kitchenette, cable TV, wireless internet, small refrigerator, microwave, table, small balcony, sofa — all right on the shore of Donner Lake. At the end of the hall is a very comfortable lounge with a fireplace and a beautiful view of the lake.

You'd expect location to add at least half to that price, or to find conditions shabby and run-down. Not at all.

Staff was friendly and generally helpful.

In case internet matters to you as it does to me: how strong and good is the wireless system? I was carrying my laptop to a bench on the end of a long dock to do some Bible reading, when I heard a Yahoo! email alert. "You're kidding me," I thought, and checked. Yep: I had WLAN reception, on the lake, 100'-plus from the building!

If I could have, I'd have rated it at 4.5 stars. They need to work on their card-readers. The external reader had me waiting in the cold through dozens of failed tries. Also, I had to clean the coffeemaker from still-wet coffee from previous user. But these are minor quibbles.

Highly recommended, and I'm very likely to be back.

• Liked — Closeness to lake
  • Disliked — Thin walls. As soon as I had neighbors, I heard them.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, CA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

I've been going to Donner Lake Village for many years with my family. Firstly, it has one of the best location in the North Shore. It's just a few miles to Sugar Bowl, or Boreal and about 10-15 minutes to Squaw. The property sits on a beautiful, pristine lake. Literally. It also has boat docks for water sports in the summer and terrific views througout the year. Our unit that we stayed in last weekend was a Townhouse unit. This unit was on the lake, we were about 20 feet from the water!

This townhouse unit is, in my humble opinion, the best value in Tahoe. It features a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit that is very spacious. I'm estimating about 1,500 sf. about 4 to 5 times the size of a regular hotel room. The townhouse had it's own kitchen, washer and dryer and fireplace. Did I mention the spectacular views of the snow covered mountains beyond the lake? Or how about a Sauna after a tough day at the slopes. Yep, this place has saunas too.

This unit is suitable for two families and rates are between $190-$300 depending on the season. While pricier than a regular hotel room, an equivalent stand alone townhouse unit in the Tahoe area often comes with a hefty $100 cleaning bill added. This did not.

Much cheaper one bedroom and studio units are also available, all with kitchens.
Get more info here:
www.donnerlakevillage.com

• Liked — Location, views and value.
  • Disliked — Often sold out.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Walnut Creek, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

My wife and I spent two nights in Room 203 at the Donner Lake Village Resort last month. First of all, I really loved the location on Donner Lake. It was rather isolated (a plus) but we were just a few miles from Truckee and a little more to Lake Tahoe. While our room had a view of the parking lot, the common area with fireplace outside our room had a wonderful view of Donner Lake. It was also only a 50 yard walk down to the lake.

The room was not in great shape, though. It seemed as if everything had been moved around inside the room with as little preparation and cost as possible. Things just seemed out of place and disorganized. The furniture was also out-dated and somewhat run down. Not terrible but not good either. We didn't spend much time in our room, though, because the point of our trip was the outdoors.

All in all, we were just happy to be there, we had no problems with our room, and the rate was the one of the best in the area.

• Liked — The location and view.
  • Disliked — The comfort of the room.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Fremont, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

This resort is has an amazing lakefront location at the west end of the lake. A big plus is that there is a Marina next door that rents kayaks, speed boats, jetskis, etc. The units are very comfortable, clean and well equipped. The resort area next to tthe lake has picnic tables, barbecues, and chairs. It is a great setup for a family vacation. I recommend requesting a lake view unit.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mill Valley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

We didn't know what we were in for, but what a pleasant surprise
The staff was very personable and accomadating. The rooms are all different (we looked at a few.) We stayed in a Lakeside
Studio, the kitchen was equipped well, the bed was very comfortable. In fact the entire room was very comfortable.
What a view of Donner Lake, it's slightly frozen over right now but what a Gem.!!! We Loved it...Will be back again.

Stayed February 2007
Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

We stayed at Donner Lake Village for two sunny winter days. I thought that the lake was going to be nice, but it far exceeded our expectations.....like a beautiful picture postcard. We chose a one bedroom condo. It was exceptionally clean with outstanding views of the lake. Highlights of our trip included a walk in the snow on the nature trail at the State Park, and a visit to downtown Truckee. Lynda, the property manager, was extremely helpful. We were very impressed.

Stayed January 2007

Been to Donner Lake Village? Share your experiences!