“Rude staff” 1 of 5 stars

South London
7 attraction reviews
“Rude staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband and I parked in the car park with the full intention of paying the entrance fee to the lighthouse. As I was entering the building I looked up and took a photo of the lighthouse and as I did this a woman came out and stood over me in an aggressive way and demanded to know if I was coming in and if not I was not to take photographs. I said of course I was coming in but was waiting for my husband. She said “where is your husband” in the same aggressive tone. I pointed to him and said just there. Even though she spoke to me in this manner we still wanted to visit the lighthouse and I got the money out and stood by the till to purchase two tickets. The woman had in the meantime run outside to get a man who had been sitting outside in a car to come in and he approached my husband to say “you have to leave your bag with us or you can’t come in”. At this time we still wanted to visit as it was the last day before it closed for the winter and we thought we could put the bag in the car rather than leave it in reception as it was full of expensive camera equipment. As we turned to go back to the car the man said in a nasty manner “good riddance”. We did not stay around to visit. If these people are always in charge of the lighthouse I cannot see that it will stay in business for long.

Visited November 2013
owner-lighthouse, Owner at Old Lighthouse Dungeness, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
I have a zero tolerance to abuse of staff on my premises. Trip Advisor has been used because this couple were shamefully behaved not able to intimidate staff.

Clearly stated on the outside and inside of the Lighthouse stating that large camera bags are not permitted to be taken up the narrow stairs of the building as it is dangerous to other customers and spoils others enjoyment by blocking views on the gallery by the use of tripods etc.

This couple blocked the entrance by taking photographs on the doorway, on our land without permission. They then came in and were agressive with staff over the large camera bags they carried. All our other customers are happy to leave them with reception or in their own cars. It is a very safe area.

The lady lighthousekeeper was reduced to tears and our male member of staff merely asked them to leave. In fact they had to be asked three times and only vacated the premises when the phone was lifted to call security. Most of our customers are such lovely people it is a great pleasure to keep the lighthouse open However this type of appalling behaviour makes it hard to retain staff.

Tullamore, Ireland
32 attraction reviews
“lighhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Sorry I couldn't think of a more inspiring title. I agree with Ackhurst's review. He mentioned semi random photos and artefacts.. Some memorabilia of rescues over the years. August 19th was a fairly clear day & we could see France clearly.

Visited August 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I am glad you enjoyed the view. France is not always seen, the weather from the west has to be ideal. Apart from Romney Marsh and up to Appledore you have Pevensey to the right and Dover to the Left.

We hope to see you again next year.
London
12 attraction reviews
“Worth The Climb At Half The Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

It's a lighthouse! You climb to the top and have a look, simples!
There's a little museum of semi random photo's and artefacts.
It's £3.50 to get in and you've done it in 15 to 20 minutes, dunno if that's good value?
The lady who took our money was very funny and the bloke at the top knew stuff when we asked him questions, and he had a captains hat and a beard.
I bought a Dungeness snowstorm, or is that a fallout storm?
A good view even on a murky day.

Visited October 2013
owner-lighthouse, Owner at Old Lighthouse Dungeness, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your day with us. Many of our customers return year after year and the Staff hope to see you again.

Some of our customers spend the time it takes to get to the gallery, walk round and come down, usually about twenty minutes. Most love to read and spend time either with the lens or outside and are with us for over an hour.

Our Staff are all paid and the Lighthouse does not benefit from any grants as it is privately owned. Last year the maintenance was over £80,000 for a complete repaint and outer overhaul. We have not increased our prices for three years. We feel that £3.50 is not excessive. Two adults and four children can be admitted for £10.
Liverpool
38 attraction reviews
“Apples and Pears!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Think I paid £3 or £3.50 to visit this site. I incorporated it with the trip on the steam train.

It's a long way to the top up the stairs so if you have bad joints or gasp for air sit it out!

I ran up half way (that's all I could manage at my age) but it was well worth a trip to the top just to see the views (look at my pics).

When you get to the top you can climb through a small door to the outside. Make sure you have secured your belongings, zip up your pockets, put the camera strap around your wrist etc....oh and keep hold of the kids!

There are things to look at on the way up or down but I was surprised that there was not more history on display.

Visited September 2013
I liked your photos and am glad you enjoyed your day out. Most of the history of the Lighthouse is on the walls. A mini version is on our website and we do sell for £2.50 a comprehensive history of this Highlight Tower, the fourth on Dungeness due to continuing shingle prograding.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Heads in the clouds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

What an experience , chance of a life time to go to the top of a lighthouse and walk around the outside , the views fantastic, cost value for money good , 169 step steps but we'll worth it .

Visited October 2013
owner-lighthouse, General Manager at Old Lighthouse Dungeness, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Pleased you enjoyed your visit. The staff try hard to prepare the lighthouse each season to keep it open to the public. We hope to see you again