“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Torrance
Sacramento, California
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The Marriott Residence Inn is located directly across from the Del Amo Mall in Torrance. This hotel complex is huge, consist of many 8 individual rooms per each 2 storied buildings. The check in process was smooth and fast. The front desk staff was very friendly. Our room was huge with a queen and a sofa bed, and still have lots of room to move about. However, the carpet and the room furniture definitely needed an upgrade. The morning breakfast was good with a large selection scrambled egg, sausages, waffle machines, and etc.
Word of caution: This hotel will place 2 separate holds on your credit card, one for incidentals, and another as a security deposit. (in case you decided to trash the room)

Room Tip: Upstair rooms away from the street and the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
frankeeper, General Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles Torrance/Redondo Beach, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for submitting comments to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and that our suites, services and location met your expectations.
We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Fairhaven, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Beware Gold and Platinum Reward members. This hotel is not elite member friendly, nor is it family friendly. I came here for two weeks (actually I am here right now on my second week, and stuck here now since the other two Marriotts don't have capacity now). Normally when I come to California for vacation we stay in the family's inlaw suite. This time we decided on the Residence Inn. I wanted manhattan beach! wife wanted here. I called ahead of time to let them know that I had a baby, 3 & 5 year old and was hoping that they would be able to upgrade me based on my status (Gold). I booked with points for 160,000 points. They said it shouldn't be a problem. I get there and they say they are pretty booked and gave me a double/double room. I walk in to this small room that doesn't even have a stove, although the website clearly shows the room with a stove. I stay a lot at Residence Inns and would rate these rooms as 2 or 3 on a 1-10 scale based on my experience with Residence Inns. I go back to the front desk and tell them that this isn't going to work for two weeks. They said they would upgrade me for the first week then see how week 2 was for capacity. They didn't want me to cancel my reservation and stay down the road. I get an email today with my stay reminder for my second week. In that reminder it says that I have the suite, which Im in now. Further down in the email reads room upgrade charges of 5,000 per night going back to my first night. How slick to say they will upgrade me based on my status then charge me. So here is the math, 160,000 for my original stay +70,000 for an upgrade to a room that cost $20 more a night. That's a 44% up charge for gold elite members. This Marriott has made me rethink my commitment to Marriott. I will most likely never stay at another Marriott and abandon my status. For those that have families, the rooms are old, dirty floors, paint or something going up the steps. The grills for outdoor cooking wouldn't work, the lighters were broken. The front door had a huge gap where air whipped throughout the room, seal was horrible. The room cleaning times are random. We asked that they come at 930, they show up at 2 when the kids are napping. Then the next night they show up at 430 when we are making dinner. This place is a mess altogether. I would recommend staying elsewhere.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
frankeeper, General Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles Torrance/Redondo Beach, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for submitting your comments. I am sorry that we did not have a two bedroom suite available to upgrade you. We very much value the loyalty of Marriott Elite members and try to do the best we can to recognize them.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Very nice hotel. The rooms were great. We stayed in a loft style room. The room was Very spacious with a lower level that had a full kitchen area, living room, and a bedroom. Upstairs there was a Bedroom with a full bathroom, closet and tv. There were 3 tvs, 2 full bathrooms and a kitchen. Room was clean and comfortable. The grounds were lovely. Nice pool, basketball court and parking was fine. Walking distance to some restaurants but definitely need a ride for going down to the beach. Breakfast was good and the staff was friendly. The offered a meet and greet with burgers, hotdogs and lts of sides for the Marriott guests for free. Nice touch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to submit comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Hotel was great, with room huge and amazing (especially after what we had experienced elsewhere in America). The breakfast was nice (especially the waffle machine) , but a better selection of hot food (eggs, bacon etc.) would have been appreciated. Location was good, in between Disney and Universal, though the LA traffic made it a pain.

Room Tip: If you are staying for more than one night, stay on the top floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
frankeeper, General Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles Torrance/Redondo Beach, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your positive remarks on Trip Advisor. We are glad you enjoyed our great location, food offerings and professional staff services. We are looking forward to your next visit with us.
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

visit South Coast Botanic Garden during Memorial Day Weekend and stayed in this hotel.
All staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good. If my memory is right, you can make your own waffle.

There were tons of people at the pool, grilling out or playing basketball. Everybody seems to have a good time. Lots of families, not sure if it's because of a major holiday or not.

staying in building 11, second floor. Park car in the back of the building. quiet area.
Although ccasionally you can hear your neighbors talking.

location is close to restaurants. 10 mins-20 mins to go to Japanese supermarket/restaurants.
Would stay here again if I am around this area.

Room Tip: building is a condo style. 2nd floor is the highest. To avoid noise, stay in the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for posting remarks on Trip Advisor related to the positive experience you had while staying with us. We are delighted you enjoyed our great location, the many services we offer and great treatment from our staff. We look forward to your next visit.
Bolton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Receive email even b4 we arrived to ask if we had any prefferencies. Then a couple while we were there to see if everything ok with suite,pool and anything in general. Only staying 2 nights so i really felt welcome. All staff friendly and helpfull. The accomodation was great a realy nice suite with all the amenities you would need, full kitchen, sitting area, great bed and shower. This hotel was close to many shops and eateries. Close to beach and other attractions. Breakfast was very good plenty of choice. Overall well worth the cost. Seems like typical Marriott high standard.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
frankeeper, General Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles Torrance/Redondo Beach, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for posting yur pleasant experience at our hotel during your recent stay.
We look forward to your return in the near future.
Regards
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Location: I didn't quite like that this hotel was pretty far away from the major freeways. One would have to trek at least 10 mins to get to a freeway. If you plan to do some sightseeing around LA, then maybe a hotel near a freeway would be better.

Cleanliness: I was pretty surprised to find a used slipper under the bed. And then another slipper (don't know if it's the same one) sitting next to the staircase the night after I reported the incident. And this is the second time I've found a used item in a Marriott hotel.

Security: I was a bit bothered by the fact that police was manning this property on the first night. But they were gone when I got back at 3 am. In fact, the second night I was there, there were two police cars. One was patrolling back and forth in the little parking area. On one hand, I felt that it was safer to have some law enforcement, but on the other hand, it made me a little bit nervous that police was required to patrol this area.

Staff: they were great and helpful.

Breakfast: it's a zoo on the weekend when I was there.

Room Tip: I requested to stay in a quieter room and stayed upstairs in building 30.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
frankeeper, General Manager at Residence Inn Los Angeles Torrance/Redondo Beach, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. I am sorry you did not find our location suitable for your needs; we are only a few miles from freeway access, the beach, major shopping, restaurants, etc. We hope you will visit us again; for your convenience, we will be delighted to provide directions.

Been to Residence Inn Los Angeles Torrance/Redondo Beach? Share your experiences!