“Best Pizza Sauce!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Dallas, Texas
“Best Pizza Sauce!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We loved eating at Hank's when we lived in the South Bay-on our most recent visit we had take out pizza and salad and were happy to taste that the yummy Hank's sauce hasn't changed one bit! We also enjoyed take out salads (Cesar and Antipasto-sp?) but thought they both had a bit too much salad dressing for our taste...it's much more fun to make one's one salad at the salad bar in the restaurant itself.

Visited December 2013

Torrance,CA
“Pizza crust needs help ASAP”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I tried this neighborhood italian restaurant again since our usual place is closed Mondays and Hank's is open. Ordered pizza and spaghetti to-go. Spaghetti was to my liking. Unfortunately the pizza was not right. The components above the crust were exactly like what your would find on a "normal" pizza; cheese, tomato sauce, mushrooms, etc. The crust however reminded me of what they served in my junior high school cafeteria 40-something years ago. Fluffy, light, spongy! This dough has got to be frozen bread dough, maybe Bridgford bread dough. Sorry, but this is not pizza dough! I make homemade pizza dough sometimes and my worst effort is much better in texture than this sorry dough. I realize that there are thin crusts and thick crusts but this crust is just bad. Obviously this is all a matter of opinion and I would assume the owner and management like the pizza just like it is.

If they were to improve the pizza dough, this place would be one of my favorites since the people running it are nice, the restaurant interior is cozy and the patio is pretty and comfortable appearing.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

won 5 stars in my view. Wondering who or where is any better ? Been looking for years to find any restaurant to bet this place in the south bay.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rolling Hills Estates, California
“Yuk!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

This place was sold and does not taste very Italian. It has a definite mexican taste in the sauces and food. It used to have fantastic eggplant sandwiches.

Los Angeles, California
“A Local Staple... and always good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

A few days ago, after an extremely dry winter, the rain was literally coming down in buckets... in sheets... almost horizontally! I love the rain: watching it, driving in it, sitting on the sand at the beach just smiling and looking up at it. During this particular torrent, we we out running an errand and decided to stop into Hank's. It had probably been close to a year since we'd eaten there and hot Italian on a cold, wet day sounded perfect. I don't know exactly when they opened, but let's just say I've been eating there for about 20 years and have never had a bad (or even mediocre) meal.
I think that says a lot.
She started with the bruscetta and smiled contently as she sipped her wine. I dove into the creamy, savory garlic bread which, I'm sure, they put an addictive chemical in because it takes the strength of Samson to hold yourself back from filling yourself before the entree arrives!
The reason I mentioned the storm was that Hanks has these beautiful large windows which are bordered by stained glass. As we sat there, the heavy rain coming down framed by those windows made it look like a picture. On clear days, you can sit outside in the brick-layed patio under an umbrella or under the sunshine. Either one is nice. They always have a steady flow of Italian songs playing (not too loudly) while you eat.
The main meal came. She had the meatball soup (the bowls are very big & the meatballs are huge! Just to warn you...). I forewent my usual Italian meat pizza for their take on Hawaiian: The crust is thin (my preference) and leaves a sweet aftertaste; the marinara is not overly acidic and there was an abundance of ham and pineapple (those of you who follow my reviews know that I'm from the islands... this JungleBoy LOVES him some pineapple!) and a gracious spread of crumbled mozzarella to boot. Melted in my mouth!
So if you're ever in my beach-close area of SoCal, make sure you visit. Have I let you down yet, Trippers? Enjoy.

• Visited March 2012