“Home away from Home” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
SE Michigan
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel too many times to count since they opened. In fact it's the only hotel I forgo my Marriott points for. The hotel is still very clean and still looks new. Staff are always friendly and helpful. Bed is extremely comfortable.

Typically the first thing I'll do is take a picture of the Japanese tub and text it to my wife to make her jealous. I'm not into baths much unless they are Japanese style like this one -- it's great for relaxing. I usually try to stop at Mitsuwa before or after checking in to pick up a can of Asahi Super Dry to enjoy while I'm in the hot bath later. And I try to get some snacks for the kids for omiyage.

Breakfast at Gonpachi is first rate. American side and Japanese side buffets as well as made to order eggs, pancakes, etc. I've never had dinner there.

If I had to nitpick:
- the bed has a very warm comforter which forces you to put the A/C on higher than you need to otherwise (defeats the eco concept).
- wifi can be spotty depending on the room
- breakfast choices could get monotonous for a long stay

That's it. Great hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear mdchachi,
Thank you so much for your review and thank you for being a loyal guest! We are delighted that you choose Miyako Hybrid as your destination and that you enjoy our unique bathrooms, the tubs truely are a great way to relax. Thank you for your comments about the AC and wifi, our management team will be looking into this.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Cherie Davis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel. It is clean, very clean. The staff is exceptionally professional and eager to help. Upscale pillows, nice thick duvet, and the bathroom even has a rain shower and a high tech bidet! DirecTV in the room that has all the channels including HBO. The hotel lobby and common areas even smell fresh (as if you are in a spa) and delightful.

However, in spite of all the good that this Japanese-themed hotel has to offer, there is one thing it cannot: a strong air conditioning temperature in its rooms. My wife and i have only started staying here last spring (of 2012). The weather in LA at the time was already 80 degrees and higher. And we stayed perhaps two more times in during the summer when the whether was in the 90s and over 100 degrees fahrenheit. Each time there was no problem with the a/c. It was perfect at 67 degrees. Ahhhh nice and cool! Just the way we liked it.

Well, today is 9-22-2012 on a Saturday. We only use our room during the night starting at 8pm since our day activities are very busy around LA. This is our second night here. It is now 11pm and we have been in the room for 3 hours with the a/c set at 65 degrees. Guess what? The temperature is still 75 degrees! I have already complained about this problem last night.

The manager was kind enough to move us out of the regular room #706 (top floor) into their premuim suite room 737 with a living room, dining room and a larger bedroom. Only two problems with this room: 1. There is only one air duct to cool down a room over 2 times the size of a standard room; 2. The flat screen tv faces perpendicular to the bed and the living room set. You cannot lay down on the bed to watch the tv in front of the bed. The tv is along the side wall and cannot be turned to the bed. It was rediculous! Above all, we were in the room for 30 minutes and it was still hot!

I had to call the front desk again simply to ask "I'm not asking for a premium suite for free or for anything more than what I am paying for, which is a regular room where the a/c temperature is something I can control and the tv faces my bed so I can be comfortable watching it after a long hard day. Am I asking too much?"

The management sent me and my wife on our third room, each time carrying our luggages, laptops and other belongings. Room 719 I thought would be it. Well, it appears that when the weather starts to cool down in the low 70s, this hotel's a/c system caps the rooms at 65 degrees. You might think that 65 is pretty cool. But it is not. It feels like 78 degrees! All night last night my wife and I slept without the sheet and the duvet!

Right now it is 1125pm, it is so hot that I have to open the sliding door window to allow the 73 degree temperature outside to come in to the room. The irony is that the hallway is actually cooler than the 3 rooms that we experienced.

If you like your room warm, this is the hotel for you! But if you like to sleep where it is nice and cool, and you like to be covered up with sheets, blankets and duvets, then the Miyako Hybrid Hotel will not meet your needs during the cooler months. My wife and I are already checking out tomorrow and we paid ahead of time for this room through Booking.com, which is why we just stuck it out. But it didn't mean that we enjoyed our stay. Everything else was perfect, but temperature control is so very important. I just hope that the hotel isn't doing this on purpose to save money.

My wife and I won't be staying at this hotel during the cooler months because the a/c cannot get cold. It only gets cold the way we like it in the Spring and Summer. I guess we will come back only next Spring...

Room Tip: The suites take longer to cool down because it only has one air duct instead of two in spite of the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear AL M,
Thank you for taking the time to send your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you were happy with the staff and service that you received, I am however disappointed to hear of your experience with the AC. The management team will be reviewing the issue and making adjustments accordingly, to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of each guest.
We hope that you will return soon, for a more comfortable stay.

Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here from 10-14 August 2012 and it was superb! The staff were absolutely fantastic, in particular the female Manager (originally from the UK) who chatted with us at length a number of times.

Our room was immaculate and had everything we could have wanted. Having previously travelled to this part of LA frequently a number of years ago the location was perfect for us. The freeway was a short distance away for our day trips North and South, and Thrifty Rental Cars were on Hawthorne Boulevard just a few blocks away.

We ate at the Japanese restaurant downstairs in the hotel and the service and food was fantatic.

I really cannot say enough about this hotel - it was the highlight and definitely the best of the 4 hotels we stayed in whilst in the USA.

Thank you to the Miyako team - you are superb!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear KathrynAuckland,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are thrilled that you came so far to stay with us and that you had a memorable stay. Our staff truely go above and beyond to ensure the best customer service for every one of our guests and we are happy that you experienced this.

We are honored to have been your highlight and hope that we can welcome you back soon.

South Lyon, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Had to go to Torrance for business and was told about this hotel. Clean beautiful rooms, extremely helpful staff, well taken care hotel and Awesome Breakfast buffet with everything offered. anytime I go back I will stay here...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear dyoun,
Thank you so much for your comments. We are thrilled that you chose Miyako Hybrid for your business accomodations and very happy that you were referred to us! Our staff are meticulous in every way, from the housekeeping team to the front line staff and we are very happy to hear that you experienced the top notch service and enjoyed the breakfast offerings.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Concord, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here for three nights while visiting Hermosa Beach and Santa Monica. I chose this hotel based upon outstanding Trip Advisor reviews. I would not have stayed in Torrance had it not been for those favorable reviews and I was not disappointed. The only downside was that the horrible LA traffic made visiting my beach destinations much more difficult than I had anticipated. Nevertheless, the trade-off between closer proximity and an excellent hotel stay for a reasonable price made my stay at the Miyako definitely worth it.

My room was on the top floor. I was in an executive king room facing towards San Pedro and the Long Beach harbor. The view was nice and the small balcony with a sliding glass door was a plus for fresh air when I wanted, though the in-room air conditioning controls worked great and let me chill the room nicely at night for sleep.

I was travelling on a touring motorcycle with a fair amount of luggage. Guests cannot cart in their own luggage at this hotel, but the bellman was very nice accompanying me out to the self-park lot and waiting while I unpacked. The desk staff was extremely gracious. I received a call shortly after checking in asking if everything was OK. I told them I found someone's leftover pastry in the refrigerator and the response was a swift visit by two individuals who removed the item and apologized for the oversight. I was impressed by such outstanding customer service throughout my stay.

The room itself was just great and reasonably sized. The bathroom with the deep soaking tub and the large shower area was fantastic and the bathroom amenities were top notch. I didn't use the toilet features but they are there if you need the heated seat or other add-ons. The internet connectivity in the hotel and in the room was excellent and fast. The large flat screen TV in the room had an ample selection of DirectTV stations to choose from. The refrigerator in the room was small but adequate. I requested a microwave which costs $35 for your stay for a small unit. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bedding was superb.

My room was very quiet. I had only a minor amount of hall noise coming through the door. Insulation from outside noise and adjoining rooms is excellent. The hotel is in an area of business parks (Toyota's sprawing complex is just down Western Avenue) with a Japanese grocery store and a Ralph's market right near by.

I would highly recommend this hotel. Next time I look forward to taking advantage of the spa facilities and the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear southwest_traveller9,
Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted that you chose to stay at Miyako Hybrid and to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I sincerely apologize about the item left in the fridge, but am happy that it was taken care of immediately. Our team is truely dedicated to providing the highest level of customer service and creating memorable expreriences for our guests.
We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We LOVED! the hotel! Our only (minor) quibble was with the location. Not their fault of course, it was because of our unfamiliarity with LA. We were on a three night "never been to LA" whirlwind tourist trip and the hotel was a little remote from most of the attractions that we were interested in. Consequently we spent more time on the freeways than we would have liked.

The staff were extremely professional and very friendly. Service was excellent all around. The room was large, spotless, well appointed and the price was very fair. Very comfortable bed. Nice desk and internet workstation although we weren't there for business. The iPod dock was a nice little extra. The hotel had all the facilities you could need (although we didn't use the spa, restaurant or convenience store).

Self-parking was available but in short supply on the immediate property. There was a larger lot just across the street but the $8 valet fee wasn't a huge hardship all things considered.

If your travels take you to the Torrance area, stay at the Miyako Hybrid. We'd go back without hesitation.

Room Tip: Our floor (the fourth), didn't have an ice machine which necessitated an elevator trip to the fi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Scooter157,
Thank you so much for your review, we are thrilled that you came so far to stay with us and that you had an enjoyable time. Our staff are committed to providing the highest level of customer service to all of our guests. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with our room amenities, we hope that you will visit us again and try our Spa and Restaurant.

Marshfield Hills, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I just got back from a whirlwind west coast trip. Flew from Boston to San Francisco for a meeting, then flew the same day to Los Angeles for a meeting the next day. We checked into Miyako Hybrid Hotel at about 9:00 PM after a long day of travel and meetings. From checking in to getting to the room it was friendly and efficient. The room was super clean and I loved the soaking tub and separate shower. I had a little trouble with the TV, which was tuned to Japanese channels. There was a good work area in the room with a comfortable and appropriate chair at the desk. Some hotels don't have good chairs for working, but Miyako does. Free wifi and free parking were appreciated. We ate at the restaurant the next night after we checked out, and it was delicious with very good service.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 2nd floor, so I didn't have a balcony. I visited a room on the 6th floor and th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear dobrienma,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are delighted that you came so far to stay with us and you enjoyed your time at Miyako Hybrid. Our staff are committed to creating memorable experiences for all our guests. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our guest room amenities.
We hope to see you return very soon and perhaps next time you could stay longer.

Cherie Davis

Been to Miyako Hybrid Hotel? Share your experiences!