“Simply the Best!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 19 hotels in Torrance
New York
“Simply the Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

It's a beautiful hotel with large size rooms and bathrooms. The lobby is tastefully decorated, light and airy. It is walking distance from Mitsuwa, a huge supermarket, with vendors selling Japanese food, assorted pastries and teas. It is close to Redondo Beach and an easy drive to the Santa Monica promenade. The restaurant, Gonpachi, is good. The service throughout the hotel is impeccable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear PinayRox,
Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Miyako Hybrid and our guest service, our staff are truely hospitality minded to create memorable experiences for all of our guests. I am happy to hear that you had the opportunity to visit Mitsuwa, there is so much to see there and is very popular with many of our guests.
We hope to see you again very soon.

245 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I travel a lot. It's July and I have maybe been in a dozen different hotels so far this year. Maybe more. This place is easily the best. In New York, I couldn't afford to walk by this place. In Torrance, CA, I could even go inside.

This is a very Japanese hotel in SoCal specifically here because the Toyota and Honda US offices are short car rides or even walks away, not to mention piles of other companies that would feed into Honda and Toyota.

It's evident this is no Best Western the moment you walk in, and it carries through every detail. The place is gorgeous and everything just works.

I didn't try the restaurant or lounge, as I had other stuff shaking, but a peek inside confirmed they were beautiful and designed for auto execs with big expense accounts.

The room is spacious (didn't expect that), with a very comfy bed and a chaise lounge and nice working desk. There is a safe and a small, hidden fridge. The AV was very good and the set-top box even had a setting for direct from Japan TV, which was cool. You need to fiddle with the inputs on the remote to get to domestic channels. The TV is a big flat panel running 1080 HD.

The bed was very comfy and didn't have one of those terrifying bedspreads you see in lesser hotels. It was VERY quiet.

The WiFi was smoking fast - as fast as I have ever come across in a hotel.

The bathroom was the fascinating thing. Because it caters to Japanese, and they accounted for maybe 90% of the guests from what I saw, the bathrooms have those toilets with the electric things that spray water on your private bits (if you choose). The bath was a big soaking tub and the shower was a separate open kind of area beside it, with a stool and wash bowl. I know there is some Japanese name for all this, but Lord knows what.

The hotel is also super clean and super quiet.

I think I got a room on a slow week, and maybe the price would be too high on other weeks, but if I am back this way, I am definitely staying here again if the rates allow.

Rate it 6 out of 5.

Room Tip: To change inputs on the remote, press the input button repeatedly.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear canuck169,
Thank you so much for your review and feedback. I am so happy that you enjoyed our unique room amenities, our bathroom is one of the most talked about features in the hotel. We hope you return soon and perhaps next time you will have the opportunity to visit the restaurant and lounge.

Fairbanks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Beautiful hotel, beautiful rooms. Loved the heated bidet toilet seats & the deep, Japanese-style bath. TV was a nice big LCD screen, the office/desk area was well thought out with easy to access outlets & LAN (if needed). Staff, especially the bell staff, were very friendly, helpful, and prompt! Conveniently located and easy to get in/out of parking lot. The only thing was, and someone else had pointed this out, was we were told that the only difference between a standard room and a handicap accessible room was that the handicap room had a bar in the shower/tub, though I believe the standard rooms have a separate shower/cleaning area, much like the style in Japan. No biggy though, as we happily took the only room available for an early 10:00am check-in...a BIG plus with 2 very tired, jet-lagged kids. Planning to stay again if we make it back to the LA area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear BearCanyon,
Thank you so much for your review, I am happy to hear that our front desk was able to get you checked in early so your kids could start recovering from jetlag! Our bell staff were excited to read your comments and felt great that they helped create a memorable experience for you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to the LA area.

Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is my second review of Miyako because I wanted to give an update of how well this place is run. We've stayed here many times now in the last year.
This time, we stayed for 2 nights (June 10-12). Upon entering the lobby, we were quickly greeted by Christine, who always has a beautiful smile. She remembered us from before and all of the staff were also very welcoming. This is more of a business hotel but by no means unwelcoming to families. One of the staff gave my son a rubber ducky and that really made his day.
For some reason, they gave us a free upgrade to executive floor-which made my day. At first, I didn't really see any difference when I entered the room. But then, I stepped into the bathroom and realized it had rainfall shower head!! For a Japanese girl who loves to take baths and showers, this was an awesome upgrade!
Everything was great until the middle of the night when the air conditioning system broke down. At first, I thought it was just our room but later when I called the front desk I found out it was the entire floor.
Later on in the day, we were notified that they were unable to fix the system until the following day. I called to see if we can be moved to another floor. Any room would have been fine. The A/C was a minor inconvenience, although it was quite warm in our room. But ANY room wouldn't do for Miyako's standard!! They upgraded us yet again, this time to a suite!!
The open floor plan suite was quite roomy and the bathroom had the same upgrades as the executive floor room. However, what I loved the most was that there's a glass window in the bathroom that looks into the rest of the suite. (same set up as executive floor room) There's a big screen TV that can be adjusted to different angle so you can watch TV while taking a bath. Now, I usually don't care for watching TV while bathing. However, this night was not just any night. This was a night LA Kings won their first Stanley Cup. Mommy could not miss the game, yet had to bathe her son. Oh the dilemma! So you can see how this came very handy. :)

Overall, we always enjoy our stay at Miyako. I do not expect them to give us an upgrade every time, but this time was a nice surprise and was very much appreciated. We really appreciate how far they go to accomodate each and every guest. From house keeping to bellhops to front desk staffs. The management is doing a great job and I hope they keep it up.
This is why Miyako is the #1 hotel in Los Angeles!

Room Tip: Wifi tend to be very slow in some rooms. I would check your wifi connection first and ask to be move...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Kaismommy,
Thank you so much for your review, I am very happy that you chose to stay with us again but apologize that you experienced an unexpected issue with our AC system. Our staff truely are hospitality minded and I am happy that you were taken care of so well. Our duckies are a real hit with the kids and our deep soaking tubs are perfect for some fun bath time!
We hope that you will be back very soon.

Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

The Miyako is a very well kept hotel with good sized rooms and a good breakfast included. The only disappointment for me was that I was put in a handicap room and told the only difference is that there is a bar in the shower...Turns out there is also no overhead shower head. This was inconvenient because it meant that in order to wash my hair or face I had to duck down into the lower wand unit.

Overall a nice stay for the price. Staff is friendly, wifi is free.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the handicap room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Cherie D, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear jwrichte,
Thank you so much for your feedback, I am sorry to hear that you did not get the room of your choice, your profile has been noted and we hope that you return soon to experience a non-accessable room. I am however happy to hear that you experienced our fantastic guest service, our staff are truely great!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We saw the pictures on the website that helped us choose this hotel, and our expectations were surpassed. Service throughout the experience, from front desk to checkout, was polite, informative, and amazingly helpful. We had absolutely no problems with the overall experience. The rooms must be singled out for ease of access to outlets, comfortable bed, and our first bidet experience.

One other note: must go to Gonpachi. The service is impeccable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Miyak0, General Manager at Miyako Hybrid Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Pounder_for_Timbers,
Thank you so much for your feedback, I am thrilled that we surpassed your expectations! We have such a fabulous team who work very hard to ensure each guest receives the highest level of service! Our uniques amenities like the bidet, are extremely popular with our guests, we hope that you come back very soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Having recently stayed here for a trip to Los Angeles with my partner, I must say not only did this hotel read the book on good hotelling, I suspect they wrote the book also. All staff are friendly, polite and helpful. The rooms are modern, very clean and well maitained. The food was spot on and a welcome change from the usual in America. easy quick access to the freeways. Not that we watched much T.V, but there were plenty channels to choose from. Other Hotels take note:- FREE WIFI !!!!. Room not lit at night when door is closed from corridor. We had a problem with the iron, before I barely put the phone down there was a knock on the door with a working replacement. Next time we travel to L.A,(CASE CLOSED) we are staying here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Storm1970,
Thank you so much for your feedback, I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we will be your hotel choice for future LA visits! We certainly have a fabulous staff, from valet and guest services, to housekeeping and maintenance, all of who are ready to go above and beyond for all our guests. I apologize that you had an issue with the iron, but am happy to hear that it was resolved quickly.
We look forward to your return very soon.

Cherie Davis

Been to Miyako Hybrid Hotel? Share your experiences!