“In business trip in SF....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 23 Restaurants in Tiburon
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“In business trip in SF....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

grazie Antonio, you did for us a great "Pasta con le Vongole" like in Napoli! I will come again next time I'll be in Tiburon. G from Napoli

River Forest, Illoinois
“Fine Italian cuisine in Tiburon, CA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was my second visit to Don Antonio, and it confirmed my positive impression from my last viist last year. Don Antonio offers very fine Italian cuisine in an extremely relaxed, comfortable atmosphere, and has an excellent wine list as well. The staff is very courteous and helpful. One knows that this is a well above average restaurant as soon as one receives the bread. Hot, fresh, and distinctive bread with a crisp crust and much richer flavor than one finds in most restaurants in America. The minestrone soup was filled with fresh vegetables, but also light and not too filling. The brick-roasted chicken is a winner, as is the special risotto. One companion raved about the home made lasagna, another about the rack of lamb (a huge portion, by the way). The menu is not forbiddingly large, but it is varied enough to meet virtually any taste. The quiet ambience is also a positive. A real gem.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco
“Where's the "wow"?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I celebrated his birthday here last Saturday. We chose the restaurant largely based on the rave reviews on Trip Advisor and looked forward to a very special, romantic experience and outstanding food.

In short, it was ok, but definitely didn't live up to all the glowing reviews (people, what are you smoking/drinking??).

First, the positives: The restaurant is small, cozy and warm. When we walked in, I immediately thought, "Oh, this is really charming." I especially liked the unpretentious feel. It looked like exactly the kind of place I usually like; simple, charming and un-trendy.

The food was perfectly good, but nothing to write home about. The only standouts were the desserts; the tiramisu and bread pudding were absolutely heavenly.

Ok, now for the negatives. It was Saturday night, and the restaurant was absolutely packed.
Hence, the noise level was quite high. We could barely hear ourselves speak across our little table.

We could have tried to ignore the noise. But the tables were placed so closely together, it was impossible to ignore the people sitting next to us. My neighbor's chair hit my chair
multiple times. That really detracted from the cozy, (potentially) romantic atmosphere.
I was distracted and annoyed by all the jostling. Not good.

I read a lot of praise here for the friendly service at Don Antonio. I didn't see all that much of it. Some members of the Italian waitstaff were extremely warm and friendly. But our main server, an imperious Italian woman (the wife of the owner?) seemed impatient and harried.
Her attempts at smiles quickly morphed into sneers. And the host who greeted us (the owner?) wasn't much better.

Remember I said the atmosphere was "warm"? The night we were there, it was beyond warm; the room was so hot, we were all roasting. When I asked our server if anything could be done about the temperature, she snapped at me and said, "No...we're ALL suffering...and we can't open the windows because it would bother the people sitting at the window." Really? The couple next to us immediately told us that they, too, were melting in the heat, and they wished someone would open a window. We immediately struck up a conversation with them...we bonded over
our mutual discomfort.

Note to owners: I know you have a goldmine here and want to pack in as many people as possible on the weekends, but please consider removing a table or two. It would make it so much more enjoyable.

Bottom line, Don Antonio has a lot of potential, but squanders it with overcrowding, marginal service and a certain indifference to its customers. We are willing to give it another try, but only if we go during the week, when it's (hopefully) less crazy and loud. We'll also insist on a table off on the side...near the window.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Reno, Nevada
“Great Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were there for New Year's Eve, food & service were excellent! Wine list was very reasonable for Tiburon, too.

Visited December 2013
Sacramento, California
“Great italian resturant ~ always look forward to comming here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great food, great service. Make sure to call ahead for reservations. It gets crowded fast! Great atmosphere, great appitizers and pasta dishes. Great choice of wines and entrees. Everything is delicious! Always look forward to comming here whenever I'm in town.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere