“The View is Spectacular” 5 of 5 stars

Sea Ranch Lodge
60 Sea Walk Dr., The Sea Ranch, CA 95497   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in The Sea Ranch
South Texas
“The View is Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I made it up to Sea Ranch Lodge after a very windy and at times GORGEOUS drive up Highway 1. I read many mixed reviews regarding Sea Ranch Lodge before booking. We found our room to be warm, inviting and a pleasant flash back to the 70's furniture. We had large windows overlooking the water and the bathroom was large with shower only and great sample products. I had specificly requested a non pet friendly room and my reservation was accomodated. Electric tea pot in room and coffee/tea supplies. Large king-sized bed was comfortable. We ate at the restaurant and our food was delicious. Staff in all areas was courteous and friendly. I shopped in the gift shop where they had a nice selection of interesting clothese and items. We enjoyed walking the cliffs and it's a photographer's dream. Loved our stay there. It gave us a time to relax and reconnect in a beautiful location.

Room Tip: If important to you, they have pet friendly rooms and non-pet friendly rooms. Our view was spectacu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cathy K, Social Media Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad you were able to relax and reconnect with one another! Thanks for your room tip to other guests and we hope you come back again soon!

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Somehow this place manages to remain iconic along the coast. I'm not a huge fan of the weird architecture; who has this much ocean frontage and doesn't put in giant picture windows in all the rooms?

The weathered grey wood is very characteristic of the north coast, and does give the place a little atmosphere. The architecture is actually quite angular, and reminded me of the old ski lodges at Alpine and Squaw from the 70's (maybe all that raw, untreated wood.)

The beds were amazingly comfortable, and the bathroom was top notch. Great shower head. However, the ancient boards in the walkways outside the room made it impossible to ignore any casual passers-by...and the linen cart going by in the morning was like a truck rumbling over a covered bridge. Loud. Not sure there is anything they can do about this.

We really enjoyed the headlands right in front of the property, and the very long walking track that stretches north up the coastline. Excellent.

Food in the restaurant was great...and breakfast was a standout! What an awesome menu, and what a treat to pick anything at all that we wanted! Didn't need to eat again all day, until dinnertime. Yum.

I think I'll try somewhere else along the coast next time, but if your heart is set on experiencing Sea Ranch, you'll probably love it.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs, or one on the north corner (with a fireplace.) Anything along the external cor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We are pleased to hear your stay at Sea Ranch was comfortable and the you enjoyed the food in our restaurant! Thank you for taking the time to review us and we hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon!
Forestville,CA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I'm sorry if some of your stays were not as pleasurable as mine and my wifes its a romantic getaway spot not Disney World. Three words- Get-A-Sitter
We ate at the restaurant and it was perfection.Five stars all the way we had duck and prime rib paired with Alexander Valley Ferrari-Carano Chardonnay and it was amazing and we are bolt food and wine snobs.
We loved it so much that the next morning we woke up early and had the lemon meringue crepes best on the planet hands down! Don't let a few of the reviews trick you this place is a hidden secret jewel and we live in wine county were not tourist.
This place is perfect for spicing up a marriage the only complaint I could foresee is the price is on the higher side,but sometimes you gotta live it up.

Room Tip: pick a room with a ocean view its worth it
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
GMGregH, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Ali B,
Thank you very much for these kind words. We're delighted that you had such a great time and hope to see you again soon.
PBG, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our family (of 5) stopped here for lunch twice during our recent stay at The Sea Ranch. Both dining experiences were similar.... food was mediocre (except the potato salad which was patently unpalatable); service was inattentive; and there must be a disconnect between the customer/server/kitchen as on both occasions our orders were not right! Our lunch experiences guaranteed that we did not have dinner there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GMGregH, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear ljd,
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We consider all feedback extremely valuable and will work hard to correct the impression we left with you. We're not perfect but our aim is to be far better than what you describe. Thanks again for alerting us to this experience.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I was excited to stay here because of the great reviews however I wish I had checked out the room before deciding to stay. The view was beautiful and the restaurant was very good. The room was not ideal for a young child however. We paid $230 a night and that price must have been for the view alone. Our room did not have a bath, AC, radio, TV, microwave, or a table. I had a toddler with me and was not offered a crib and only found out that breakfast was included during check out. There is beach access but was warned by several hikers to stay away because it would not be easy with my child. We drove 10 miles north and paid $6 to be able to walk on the sand. From the photos of the lodge, I was looking forward to have some grass area for my child to play however there isn't grass, only dirt. The bed was comfortable and room clean. Dog next door woke us up a few times barking. Won't be returning.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Alison U,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is full of information that is very useful to us, as we are always striving to improve. While families with small children are accommodated and cribs are available, the property is geared more towards couples. Our recent rooms upgrades did include changing all the beds to Kings, which makes them more ideal for couples than small kids. I only wish that we could have been more attentive to your family's needs and informing you of all the options available. We will redouble our efforts to make this communication more seamless in the future. Thank you again for reviewing us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Sea Ranch Lodge on the evening of my 30th birthday. It was wonderful. We had the biggest room- room 11, which has an amazing corner window seat that my boyfriend and I spent the afternoon relaxing on, drinking champagne an watching the ocean. If you are looking for an escape near the ocean, this is the place. You're far away from pretty much everything, in a great way. It felt like it's own little world. We loved the style of the hotel. The recent renovations are perfect. The bed was comfy, the window seats perfect, and the fireplace was relaxing. We had a superb time. My only complaint was that the room includes your breakfast, however the quality of the breakfast was less than that of dinner. My boyfriend enjoyed his eggs Benedict, but my corned beef hash, was watery and the potatoes were mushy and it wasn't browned the way a hash should be. It was nearly in-edible; I'm just not much for sending things back so I ate the eggs and some toast. Not the end of the world- but somewhat of a disappointment.

• Stayed September 2012
Bay Area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We went here for dinner and ordered two plates of oysters and a bottle of wine to start. Everything was good at this point. The waiter recommended the prime rib on special which my husband had and I had the roasted halibut. When my husband received his prime rib is was cold (as if in the fridge) and over cooked. The waiter agreed and he returned it. The waiter came back and said that is how all the prime rib is and suggested to order something else which my husband did. From this point on the waiter ignored us like the plague. (we were also with another couple) He didn't refill our water glass or ask the rest of us how our meal was. When my husband's hamburger finally came out (the rest of us were done with dinner) he also handed us our check and didn't ask us if we wanted dessert. We handed the check back and asked for a dessert menu since my friend and I wanted coffee and something chocolaty. Again, he was very stand offish as if he was embarrassed but by all means don't ignore a customer! I would not recommend this place!

Room Tip: Dont eat at the restaurant
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
GMGregH, General Manager at Sea Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Holley, Thank you so much for bringing this experience to my attention. We are always striving to improve and this clearly falls well short of our standard. I will be sure to contact you directly to ensure that we use this as a tool for our growth and improvement.

Been to Sea Ranch Lodge? Share your experiences!