“There is a reason.....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Temecula
Nashville, Tennessee
“There is a reason.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

.....this Holiday Inn Express is ranked #12 of 18 hotels in Temecula.

First, let me note that the staff is excellent. Very professional and very helpful. My complaint about the bathroom light with a mind of its own (turned off after 20 minutes of no use) was met by a maintenance person within minutes to see if he could make it work. He could not.

The problems I note here can all be laid at the feet of Holiday Inn Express management.

The outside structure was built no later than the 1980's and it looks it. However, I really like HIex bedding, particularly the smooth white sheets tightly tucked. So I took a shot at it.

Walking into the hotel entrance gives me the feeling that I am in a mausoleum. Black wall, dark stones, ugh. Dark and dreary. That could be so easily fixed.

The interior halls all smell of cleaning fluid.

Decor appears (to me) to be late 80's. Could be more recent, but if so, the decorator was pretty poor, or HIex dictated a low low budget. Probably the latter.

I was "upgraded" to a king bed with a sofa. Would have been better off without the ratty looking fabric sofa, also of ancient lineage.

The bed itself was excellent.

The bathroom light will turn off after 20 minutes if no one is in the bathroom. When I stay in a motel ALL the lights are on ALL the time except when I'm sleeping. That ALONE reeks of cheapness and it is HIex policy. Local mgmt has no choice.

The shower is of 80s vintage. My guess is that it is the original shower. Old and narrow. Pieces of non-slip strips on the bottom. Dirty strips. You will get clean but you will not enjoy the shower experience. I'm normal size and 5'8" and I kept bumping against the shower wall and getting twisted in the curtain.

Internet service is VERY poor. Yes, you will be able to log in to the net. No, you will not be able to go to any URL that just pops right up at home. Every one I tried to pull up took several minutes (not seconds) to come up. It would not pull up the URL for my bank at all.

This HIex has the unusual policy, normally attributed to high end hotels, of requiring cancellation no later than 3pm THE DAY BEFORE arrival. You will discover the reason for this policy if you drive about a mile farther down the street (Jefferson St) toward "Old Town". There I found the two most gorgeous Hampton Inn and Suites AND SpringHill Suites that I have ever seen. They both look like brand new castles, especially the Hampton. AND the rates are comparable to HIex. Thus the policy. No more newcomers driving into town, spotting the Hampton or the Spring Hill and immediately cancelling at the HIex.I would have done it had I not already been committed to pay for the night.

Room Tip: It is quiet on the front and on the third floor (and I made sure to get a front room, based on other...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Temecula, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear boycetalbert,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. I am happy to read you recognize the efforts of our hotel staff and found the bed to be excellent. However, I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and apologize for any inconvenience you may have had due to the bathroom facility, hotel interior and policy. I have documented your comments and shared them with the hotel ownership and management so that they can take corrective measures and upgrades.

We appreciate your honest feedback. We hope that the next time you come through, you give us another chance to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed here 5 days for my daughter's wedding. Room was clean and quite comfortable. The bathtub was peeling but that wasn't that big of deal. You could walk on the carpet without your feet turning black, unlike the next place we stayed. Quiet as well, didn't hear a lot of noise but we were on the 3rd floor. Good parking situation.

The breakfast is outstanding. No Continental Breakfast here! There's hot dishes, great coffee, breads, fruits, yogurt. Great way to start the day. Service was excellent. Adequate towels, etc. There's a laundry room available if you need to throw in a load of wash as well.

One note, the internet is horrendous. We couldn't get on several times, even to check email or look for something, but if you really need Wi-Fi they do provide one downstairs.

The only thing I would say is that the pool and spa are pretty small and there were no umbrellas to get out of the sun if you wanted to hang out by the pool, but it wasn't a big issue, because we were so busy with the wedding and going to a couple wineries that we only spent a little time by the pool.

They have a fitness center, 1 treadmill, 1 bike and some weights. I used it several times and it was always empty but clean, providing towels and water.

I would have no qualms about staying here again. It's close to everything, about 8 minutes to grocery stores, etc so very convenient. Very comfortable.

Room Tip: Make sure to try the cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Yummy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kathy L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Temecula, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind words I will make sure that I share them with my staff. I want to apologize we were experiencing internet issues and have made some repairs. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and were able to relax and visit with friends and family during your stay. Maybe for a one year anniversary you and your family can stay here again. Thank you again.
Laguna Beach, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

A quick overnight trip to Temecula with friends that chose this property. Stayed one night that was apparently sold out thus making the rate quite high for a Holiday Inn Express. It was clean and had friendly staff. The room was decent but average. The complimentary breakfast was adequate but not made-to-order.
Some rooms face the adjacent freeway. If you are sensitive to noise, ask for a room facing away from the freeway.

Frankly, it was way over priced (+$200) for an average "economy" room, a marginal breakfast, with freeway noise.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Kathy L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Temecula, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay here with us here at the Holiday Inn Express in Temecula. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the breakfast and were unable to get an decent nights sleep due to the freeway. I am very happy to hear that you found the rooms clean and the staff friendly. Thank you again for your time.
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

First off, I rate this very good, but the four star is somewhat misleading. It is not a four star hotel - but it is a very good Holiday Inn Express grade hotel. The room was small, but comfortable, clean and well maintained. The hotel in general is small, comfortable, clean and well maintained. It has a small exercise room, and an outdoor pool.

To compare this to a true four star hotel is inappropriate - it is not nor does it claim to be. But, for travel, weekend getaway, or as in our case a wedding, it serves the purpose.

The breakfast was surprisingly good. Eggs (sometimes scrambled, sometimes cheese omelets), sticky buns, yogurt, some fruit along with cereals were on the buffet.

The staff was friendly and accommodating.

The only downside is the wifi was poor - very slow and weak signal. We were just checking email, and looking up some local attractions and directions, so we didn't demand much, but it was very slow.

If I was in the area again, I would stay here. There aren't really any better hotels in the area, except for some of the vineyards outside of town have resort accommodations.

Room Tip: This hotel, along with many others in the area, Hug Interstate 15. As others have commented. if poss...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kathy L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Temecula, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay. I want to apologize for the slow internet. We were experiencing a issue with our internet which has since been corrected. I hope this problem did not lead to any inconveniences. I am however happy that you found the hotel clean and the service friendly. Thank you again for your time we hope that we see you again in the future.
FULLERTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed the night at this hotel over the weekend. We had a third floor room. The rooms were clean and it came with its own air conditioner which made the temp. just like we wanted. The small buffet was surprisingly good. The beds were nice and parking was easy. Although we had a view of the freeway, we never heard it due to the room having.........wait for it, not one but 2 dual pane windows! I went to open the window to obtain some fresh air and found I had to open two different windows. Wow, I was impressed. The only noise we heard was a small humming coming from the A/C. There was a nice size flat screen television in the room and the water pressure in the shower was amazing. This is definitely not the Holiday Inn my father knew. The cost was just under $200 but when you look at the amenities (Jacuzzi, gym, buffet, etc.) it was worth it. It was so comfortable we asked for a late check out which was granted. I would recommend this place to my family and friends.

Room Tip: There's really no bad place in the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kathy L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Temecula, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for the kind words. We are certainly glad that you enjoyed your stay here.I m happy that the rooms were comfortable for you and your wife and you could relax while you were here. I am delighted that you were excited about the double pane windows, we make every effort for our guests to be able to sleep in peace (we will work on that air conditioner). I am pleased to hear that you would recommend the hotel to your family. We hope that if your travel bring you to the area again you bring your friends and family and have breakfast with us.
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Perfect place to stay. Close to the wineries , close to the 15 fwy.
Rooms are clean,updated and comfortable. Only down side, if staying on bottoms floors
you hear everything . Thin walls. Breakfast is only okay. Stale bagels , running eggs. But great coffee.... Overall a great place to a night or two.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 115. It's right across from the morning breakfast area. And the closest t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Kathy L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Temecula, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay here and for taking your time time to write a review. I am happy that you enjoyed the comfort of your room and the local amenities here in Temecula. While it is great that you are fond of the coffee I am terribly disappointed that the breakfast was not up to standard. I want to assure you that I have spoke to the breakfast staff to insure that they are constantly checking the freshness of the baked items and also following the proper cooking procedures for the eggs. We hope that if you return to wine country that you choose to stay here with us again.
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I'd definitely stay here again - the staff is friendly, the rooms are roomy and clean, and even the breakfast is pretty good - unusual for an inexpensive hotel, and the price is right. This hotel is just on the west side of Interstate 15, but still convenient to the wine country (15 minutes) and old-town Temecula. You can walk to fast food if that's your taste.

Room Tip: The west side hotels are away from Interstate 15 and are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kathy L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Temecula, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Express. I am certainly glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and that my staff made you feel welcome and that you were able to enjoy your time here in Temecula, The next time you can get away we hope you chose to stay with us here again.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Temecula? Share your experiences!