“Beautiful retreat among the vines!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Inn at Churon Winery to your Saves list
Inn at Churon Winery
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33233 Rancho California Road, Temecula, CA   |
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Temecula
“Beautiful retreat among the vines!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This two night stay was a nearby, quiet getaway for our anniversary & Churon has just what it takes for such a retreat. Nice rooms that open onto a balcony or patio that overlooks the vineyards with beautiful oversized bath amenities & fireplace in the room. Nice breakfasts served & a wine tasting happy hour were included in our stay (which was a special voucher...) I would go again & I recommend it to wine country lovers! Bonus was in the morning, when we opened the drapes, there were a half dozen hot air balloons drifting over the valley! Ahhhh....!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We recently returned from 2 nights at Inn at Churon on a TravelZoo special.
We spend a least 2 weekends a year in Temecula, usually at South Coast, and were happy to give this place a try.

After reading many of the recent complaints about the hotel we were concerned...but decided to go with a good attitude and "make the best of it" - even though the weather was forecast to be blisteringly hot.

I have to say the Inn at Churon is a complex juxtaposition of good and bad...pretty and ugly...classic and tacky.

The good:
We found the staff to be STELLAR in their customer service...from the registration desk, to the housekeeping staff, to the wait staff. We saw none of the negative issues others have reported.
The Inn is in a gorgeous location with a fabulous view and beautiful landscaping. It is obvious they've recently spent many thousands of dollars on a wedding venue that rivals Disney.
Strangely, the run-down rooms have some high-end upgrades, including a wall-mounted large flat-screen TV and good quality, comfortable mattresses.

The bad:
The Inn was built in 1995. It appears that there is serious deferred maintenance - from cracking plaster to broken doors to water damage to peeling paint and wall-paper. The whole feeling is of a beautiful movie star who has lost her "edge" and is letting herself go.
It is good that the discount with TravelZoo was so substantial - there is no reason to pay the rack rate on this hotel.

The Inn at Churon has stiff competition from South Coast and the new Ponte Winery hotel - and South Coast is now adding a new multi-story hotel complex. Hopefully the Churon owners will see these comments and make a concerted effort to repair this beautiful yet tired gem.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Based on the photo of the Inn and their description I was happy to book their basic room for the regular room rate of $333 per night, including taxes and fees.

BUT!! Upon arrival we walked into a sparse lobby with a few tables with dead flowers in vases on them. Not dried flowers, dead flowers. To be fair there were a couple of tables with dying flowers on them. There was a couch facing the fireplace. I approached the front desk to check in. I was met by a bitter woman that seemed very put out to have to stop what she was doing to check us in. She took my name, shuffled some papers and then asked for my name again. Found the reservation and checked us in.

The room had a beautiful and very comfortable King size bed. It also had paint peeling off of the ceiling near the airconditioning vent, accompanied with water stains on the ceiling. The main dresser had ants, in modest numbers, crawling over it. There were baby spiders in the room as well.. I eventually tracked them back to a very large nest attached to one of the two silk plants on the mantel of the fire place. I took a photo, I don't see where I can post it here in my review. Having to retrieve something from my car late in the evening I passed by the "Champagne Suite", the dirty door was open, the smell inside was quite nasty. It was a horrible clutter of miscellaneous tools, rags, cans, and dirt everywhere. It filled the hallway with the oder of grease and dirt. Back to the room, the fridge sounded like a small toy electric airplane waiting for take off. I could handle the fridge noise, it was after all a white noise. The NOISE that did bother me was whenever we or a neighboring room would flush the toilet, or turn on the water there would follow a wop wop wop sound that sounded like a helicopter hovering outside the Inn. That noise made for a very difficult nights sleep, even though the bed was very comfortable.

In the morning when I spoke with the not so cheerful woman at the front desk from the day before and told here of the issues I had with my stay she said she had ants at her home too. No apology for the noises, lack of sleep, the odor outside the open door to the Champagne Suite, not even a thank you for bringing the issues to her attention.

The view from the room was very nice. It could have been a wonderful place to stay, but it simply wasn't. And sadly I was left with the feeling that Churon Inn does not rely on repeat customers. It is not that difficult to keep spiders and ants out of a room and to keep the hallways odor free by keeping certain doors closed. And it is not too much to expect for a B&B to at least fake their appreciation for your visit.

I predict the Churon Inn will be under new management or ownership within the next few years. Maybe then I can try another visit. But until then I would avoid staying at the Churon Inn. At least room #101.

P.S. Besides the bed being very comfortable, the breakfast was quite good. Also the Churon Winery makes some excellent wines.

Room Tip: Avoid room #101 if you are determined to stay there.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Checked in to French Chateau style room, with high bed, rose wallpaper and a huge bathroom with a spa bath, however no plug on either of the two handbasins.
No evening meals available on site, so purchased a picnic at the local supermarket, which was consumed sitting out on the balcony following the complimentary wine tasting. Very convivial hour working our way through the wine tasting menu and felt distinctly 'pink' by the time we got to our al fresco dinner.
The air conditioning in the room was very noisy and the curtain rail for the drapes had parted company with the wall, a fact we discovered when we drew the curtains across at night. Other guests were discussing similar problems at breakfast the following morning.
Breakfast was cooked to order and portion size was adequate rather than generous.
General impression was 'shabby chic' - a bit of housekeeping attention could improve the experience.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I selected the Inn at Churon for my birthday weekend somewhat at the last minute, and fortunately they had a cancellation and were able to accommodate my husband and me. I am happy to report that their air conditioning issues have been resolved. Although temperatures were well over 100 degrees, our room was cool and comfortable. I loved the decor, king sized four poster bed, luxe linens, ginormous bathroom with jacuzzi tub. Since we stayed over a Saturday we qualified for a free bottle of wine. However all guests receive a complimentary tasting and glass of wine every night. While there is no restaurant, or food served with the tasting, every room has a mini fridge, so it is quite simple to bring/stock tasty snacks for your stay. A coffe pot and coffee was provided for early morning coffee, and we purchased cream and stored it in that handy mini fridge. The balcony is large, shaded, and equipped with a charming wine themed table and chair set.
Each morning we were able to enjoy coffee on our private balcony with a wonderful view of the hot air balloon launch, every evening we enjoyed our complimentary wine with the crackers and cheese we brought from home.

There is really no need for an on site restaurant with the dozens of amazing choices nearby. Enid at the front desk made recommendations and handled our dinner reservations for us. There is a small dining room that serves a cooked to order breakfast each morning that was very delicious. There were healthy choices, such as a poached egg atop fresh spinach and sliced tomatoes, and also French toast for those with a sweet tooth.

This a real working winery and we were able to observe the harvest and crush up close while having our lovely breakfast served to us outdoors on the patio.

While it does not have the amenities or atmosphere of a five star resort, neither does it have the price tag. It was the perfect choice for us and I plan to return next month with friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room and do not forget to pack a corkscrew, cheese, crackers, perhaps even some sa...
Santa Fe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We purchased our stay off of a Travelzoo special and needless to say we are VERY disappointed. We checked in September 3rd for our two day stay. When we arrived we stood there and the two ladies behind the check in desk were talking about their dogs and then the lady who eventually checked us in stated that she was going to leave "early at 7". Once they were done talking, she finally checked us in and said hello. It was not a good sign to how the rest of our visit there was going to go. We got checked in and the room was nice, nothing wrong there, BUT, the AC did not appear to work. We checked in around 4 so we figured we'd wait and see if it kicked in by the time we left to the wine tasting at 5. It didn't. When we were down there we heard another couple had the same problem and switched rooms. So we asked the same. The wine tasting was okay. We returned to the room and she switched us to another room. The AC still did not appear to work. We left to eat dinner and when we came back, surprise, it still didn't work. By then the bed & breakfast was closed and we didn't know who to call. In the morning we woke up and checked out. Even though our visit was prepaid the lady at the check out counter did not appear to be too worried that our stay was terrible and that the AC did not work. She said "oh the breaker went out and since it was a holiday we couldn't call anyone" So apparently they knew the whole time the AC wasn't working and didn't tell us. She did not offer any compensation for the poor visit. I would not and will not ever return to that hotel.
I think at one time this estate was gorgeous. I don't think managment/owners even care about the property or service of their employees anymore. Find another place to stay. We left a day early and went back to San Diego and enjoyed our last day of vacation.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I recently called to get some information on availability. The person that answered the phone was short on the verge of rude! It was as though she did not want to be bothered, and could not end the phone call soon enough! In the hotel business,your phone manners are as important as a face to face meeting! My impression from this is that if this is the attitude now, I do not want to waste my money on the same lack lusterservice and attiude on a stay! I would not bother going there or recommend to friends...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Churon Winery? Share your experiences!