“Will never come back” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Temecula
Santa Fe
“Will never come back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We purchased our stay off of a Travelzoo special and needless to say we are VERY disappointed. We checked in September 3rd for our two day stay. When we arrived we stood there and the two ladies behind the check in desk were talking about their dogs and then the lady who eventually checked us in stated that she was going to leave "early at 7". Once they were done talking, she finally checked us in and said hello. It was not a good sign to how the rest of our visit there was going to go. We got checked in and the room was nice, nothing wrong there, BUT, the AC did not appear to work. We checked in around 4 so we figured we'd wait and see if it kicked in by the time we left to the wine tasting at 5. It didn't. When we were down there we heard another couple had the same problem and switched rooms. So we asked the same. The wine tasting was okay. We returned to the room and she switched us to another room. The AC still did not appear to work. We left to eat dinner and when we came back, surprise, it still didn't work. By then the bed & breakfast was closed and we didn't know who to call. In the morning we woke up and checked out. Even though our visit was prepaid the lady at the check out counter did not appear to be too worried that our stay was terrible and that the AC did not work. She said "oh the breaker went out and since it was a holiday we couldn't call anyone" So apparently they knew the whole time the AC wasn't working and didn't tell us. She did not offer any compensation for the poor visit. I would not and will not ever return to that hotel.
I think at one time this estate was gorgeous. I don't think managment/owners even care about the property or service of their employees anymore. Find another place to stay. We left a day early and went back to San Diego and enjoyed our last day of vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I recently called to get some information on availability. The person that answered the phone was short on the verge of rude! It was as though she did not want to be bothered, and could not end the phone call soon enough! In the hotel business,your phone manners are as important as a face to face meeting! My impression from this is that if this is the attitude now, I do not want to waste my money on the same lack lusterservice and attiude on a stay! I would not bother going there or recommend to friends...

San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I feel like we stayed in a different hotel than the one described in some of the reviews below!!
We thought that the room(209) was one of the nicest ones we have ever experienced! There was a lovely 4 poster bed with tasteful furniture.The terrace was extremely private and had a great view out over the vineyards to the mountains beyond. There was a fridge(hidden in a cabinet) a flat screen tv and small coffee pot. The bathroom was fabulous! In addition to 2 sinks and a lovely stall shower there was a gigantic jacuzzi tub with wonderfully strong jets.We thought the faux marble floors and backsplash looked elegant. My only added suggestion might be to offer bath salts since the tub was so inviting!
We enjoyed the cooked to order breakfast for 2 mornings. I had eggs benedict on a bed of spinach one day and the french toast the 2nd day. My husband had a wonderful omelet and traditional eggs benedict for his 2 meals. When I travel I like to enjoy eating things I don't get at home so was happy with the choices offered.
The free wine tasting hour each night was a fun time to socialize with other guests.
You must remember that this is a wine tasting hour and not an appetizer/happy hour so no food unless you are there on some special weekends.
We thought the staff that poured for the wine tastings were very generous. By the 2nd night we knew which wines we preferred and so just had full glasses of those instead of the smaller tasting pours. Even after "last call" we managed to squeeze in an extra glass on the way out to the patio to sit and sip a little while longer!
We easily found restaurants nearby so didn't miss the fact that the Churon restaurant is only open for dinner on weekends(I think)
As for the service I'd describe it as "European in style". What I mean by that is that you need to ask for what you need because no one will push themselves on you or offer advice until they see what you require! I DO think that first impressions are important and that the front desk could be a bit more welcoming when you check in!
All in all we really enjoyed our 2 day getaway and will definitely return some time soon!!

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have more privacy on their terraces.
Ft lauderdale
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I visited the area a few months ago and stayed at the Southcoast winary. We tried to rebook there again buty they were sold out. We found this place online and it looked ok. We were so wroung. As soon as we arrived we wished we could canceled. However they have a 2 day cancelation policy and since we did not know until we arrived we were out of luck. Lets start with the hotel itself. It was poorly maintained. When we arrived we learned there was no bar, NO RESTAURANT at the hotel so eating or drinking required a drive to another winery. The hotel had no pool, no gym, no spa, the internet in our room was intermitent at best. The rooms were outdated and the AC in our room would cycle on and off every 45 seconds with a big thud then it would strain to get going and then click off in another 45 seconds all night. The wine tasting area was small and the lady that helped us was rude and seemed bothered by us. We met another couple that was staying there and they had all the same problems. So we shared a cab and went to eat and drink together at another winery. I also learned that we were suposed to get a free bottle of wine in our room. The other couple did we did not. When we asked about it we were told that the bottle "was" in our room. My wife said it was like a bad movie! My wife booked some Spa services at a different winery so we could use the pool and grounds at that location.When we we driving away we we relived to be leaving and my wife turns and says to me as we oull out of the driveway "we have escaped"

Room Tip: the price was about the same as the nicer winerys I would not go back here ever
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My husband surprised me for our anniversary to a romantic weekend in Temecula. The Inn at Churon Winery was wonderful. We had the Merlot Suite which had 3 fireplaces in it! It was truly beautiful. The bathroom was HUGE with a marble encased jacuzzi tub that would easily fit 3. A separate shower and so much room. On to the living room. Another fireplace, a full bar and sitting area with a couch and two chairs. Now the bedroom. A big king bed that was so comfortable with a patio overlooking the vineyard. We sat outside in the evening and watched the bunnies hop around and listened to a neighboring winery having a party with a real good band.

We spent the day wine tasting visiting Cougar, Leonese and Longshadow Ranch winery. When we returned Churon offers it guest a special free wine and cheese tasting in their tasting room. Since Churon is a B&B, the breakfast that they offered in the breakfast room was very good. My husband had the omelet and I had the egg croissant with red roasted potatoes. We packed up and headed to Escondido to try our hand at beer tasting at Stone Brewery. I had never heard of this place but I was so surprised at how nice it was. When we got there we got in line for tickets to the tour. Since we had a couple of hours to kill we had lunch in the their beautiful restaurant. My husband had a buffalo steak and I had a marvlous citrus salad. This was not a cheap lunch, but the food was devine. Then we took the tour which was a lot of fun and I learned about brewing beer, we headed to the free tasting area for 4 samples. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Here are the basics that were bad
1. bottle of white in room but no bottle opener
2. very poor front desk service
3. no cheese or any snacks at wine tasting
4. internet terrible
5. no cable
6. NO RESTAURANT except on weekends
7. No Spa but got an in-room massage that was terrible
8. No materials about what to do when you get there...no book on restaurants, no info on guides, cars, etc. If you have no restaurant or anything to do at your place and no internet...you should definitely provide some info on where to go and what to see.
9. out of champagne for mimosas in the morning
10. DO NOT USE GPS TO GET HERE. it will take you somewhere else which maybe the person could have mentioned when I booked room.

Good:
1. Staff at wine tasting was very sweet
2. enjoyed the wines and got 20% off
3. The hotel property is lovely.
4. Room was spacious and it is great to have a patio.
5. Breakfast was good
6. Met owner and she was wonderful
7. Great deal

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Oceanside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We are very experienced "B & B" travelers, and we were very disappointed in this property. THE GOOD: Staff in the dining room and wine tasting was quite friendly; (however, staff behind the front desk was awful); THE BAD: The breakfast menu did not offer anything "healthy" like fruit bowls, yogurts, etc. The wine tasting room/shop had very limited items-no cheeses, chocolates, etc. to buy to go with the wine tasting. The Inn offered nothing but the wine (However, it was very good wine); both vending machines were out of beverages and a request to buy some to the front desk was answered: "Well, guess we'll have to go to the store sometime"; THE UGLY: All hallway and stairwell windows were beyond filthy-looked like they had not been cleaned for months; THE UGLIER: When we checked in, there were long dark hairs on the floor in the bathroom. 2 days later, when we checked out, they were still there; there were potatoe chips and empty peanut wrappers on the stairs when we checked in-2 days later they were still there along with empty water bottles. Also, the TV guide provided had no correlation to the actual channels. It is as if nobody really cares about this property. Sad, cause the setting and location are great.

NOTE: The rooms themselves were quite nice, but very dated. Lots of deferred maintenance. The employee who rally shined: A young lady named Brittney-she was gracious, helpful, did not hurry us along (she waited on us at wine tasting, and the next day in the breakfast room). She deserves a promotion and a raise.

Room Tip: TIP: Go to the South Coast Resort/Winery/Spa and stay there. If you do go to Churon, do not park u...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Churon Winery? Share your experiences!