“Great resort but essential details inconsistent” 4 of 5 stars

Harvest's Bounty
Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Temecula
GreenLeadersSilver level
Port Clinton, Ohio
“Great resort but essential details inconsistent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the South Coast Winery four nights July 30 through August 3, 2013. This was our 2nd visit in three years; first time in 2011 stayed in a villa. This visit asked for room in the new hotel. Would not do that again! Walls are thin, noises from neighbors above and next door (we we on the 2 of 3 floors) balcony small and view not the most appealing (we faced the entrance of the hotel) housekeeping slow to clean room even when we asked for service. Only advantage? Ice machine close to room instead of at the pool. Had to replace door keys twice. We LOVE this resort and will return...to a Villa. Pool hours changed from midnight back to ten p.m. Problems with a lack of towels and loud guests in hot tub...no supervision. Seems like some of the personal attention to detail and quality "spa resort" experience have been replaced in favor of quantity. And $45. daily charge to use the spa facilities is outrageous. An average dinner on site was $150...prime rib, scallops, bottle of wine & gratuity for two a bit much. Great dining choices in Temecula. This place used to be a gem...we hope the ambiance returns by the time we do the same. When you are paying resort prices, you expect to be treated like you are special.

Room Tip: Ask for a villa...they are the same price and you have your own parking outside your own door instea...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Vanessa G, Public Relations Manager at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hi Pcferd,

Thank you for your review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa would like to extend our gratitude to you as a repeat visitor to our resort over the last 3 years and for your recent 4 night stay to our winery resort. We are sorry to hear that your stay in new luxury hotel tower suite and pool facilities did not meet up to your expectations. We strive to provide all of our guests the best experience possible and first-rate customer service during their visit which I’m sure you have experienced during your past visits with us. However, we are pleased to hear that you think so highly of our villas, complete with old-world styles and the rustic charm of an authentic countryside villa. We extend an invitation to you to return once again and enjoy South Coast Winery and everything it has to offer. We hope to see you soon.

742 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We visited the Temecula Valley about 6 months prior to this stay and while enjoying the scenery and the wine we came across South Coast Winery. It was beautiful! Everyone we ran into that was staying there raved about it. We knew then that we had to book our next trip at South Coast. They had a lot of good deals on their website. We stayed in a Villa which was gorgeous and quaint. The front desk staff were very nice. We got to do the Behind the Scenes tour which was a lot of fun. We really enjoyed the wine pairing at the end and the tour guide was very knowledgeable. They have a very nice tasting room. Along with our room we got a champagne breakfast each morning. Overall this was a great place to stay at for a nice couples getaway. I would definitely recommend this resort to others.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vanessa G, Public Relations Manager at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hi Amanda L,

Thank you for your review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We are so glad to hear that you chose to stay at our winery resort after your previous visit to Temecula Valley wine country. Nothing makes us happier than knowing that we are so highly recommended by our guests! We are happy you found your private villa to be so gorgeous, our front desk staff to be pleasant, and enjoyed your Behind the Scenes wine tour and Mimosa Breakfasts. We hope you can come visit us again soon for another relaxing and fun couple’s getaway.!

Cheers
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the South coast winery for our 45th anniversary.. what can I say except fantastic!! the hotel, the grounds,... the employees!! the employees took the time to find out that we were there for are anniversary and went out of their way to make it special. Management should be proud! the room at the villa we stayed in was showing alittle wear, but it added to the experience because the room was clean- no doubt about it.
Thank you again SCW we will be back, you have become number one on our list of hotels

Room Tip: pick the villas for the full SCW experience
Hi 957JanH,

Thank you for your wonderful review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We would like to thank you for choosing our beautiful winery resort as the destination for celebrating your 45th anniversary. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a fantastic experience while staying with us and that our staff was part of making your stay so memorable. We are glad you enjoyed your private villa; in fact our villas were carefully designed to evoke the old-world styles and rustic charms of an authentic countryside villa found in the wine regions of Provence or Tuscany, allowing guests to feel like they really are escaping far away from the everyday. We love being #1 on your list of hotels and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Cheers
Calimesa, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked our 10 yr. wedding anniversary a month or so prior and had never been to any of the Temecula Wineries. We chose South Coast Resort & Spa, based on a quick drive by and thought it was just beautiful.
While on the phone booking our package, the girl asked me if we were celebrating anything special when coming in for our stay and I told her “Yes, it will be our 10 yr. anniv”, and she just mentioned, “Ok, I will sure to make a note of that”. NOTE: I hadn't read any reviews on Trip Advisor (still getting used to having this awesome site available at our fingertips) until AFTER I made the reservations.
Needless to say, I was "concerned" after reading some of the latest reviews and actually considered canceling. We decided against canceling, and chose to go on our previous experiences through Trip Advisor and hoping the problems (if truly in existence) will have already been resolved and MAN, ARE WE GLAD WE DID!
We arrived on Friday, had dinner reservations at Vintage (on site restaurant) at 7p. During our check-in process, the girl gave us a card, signed by all the staff wishing us a Happy Anniversary and I was shocked! Being a bit skeptical I had my guard up because of the reviews and I thought what a nice touch. The girl was so sweet, while making just a couple of mistakes, persistently apologizing and explaining she was "new" (I thought, well maybe the bad reviews I read about show that the Mgmt. Team here, fixed one of the problems with Customer Service). So we are off to a good start!
We got checked in to our Villa and I was AMAZED with everything. The cleanliness, the quaint way the Villas are set up and thought we had hit the jackpot. As read in previous reviews, the bathrooms are MAGNIFICENT. Dual shower, dual vanity, separate toilet room (with door) and an awesome Jacuzzi tub. The fire place was adorable and in working condition! The bedding was wonderful and the “wet bar” was just that. It had a larger mini size fridge, sink and glasses. My understanding of a ‘wet bar’ is that it has a sink, not necessarily alcohol supplied. So we had already packed any refreshments we wanted in addition to on site Wine, so we were very pleased. Our package also included a case of wine, my choice was Cabernet and it was wonderful.
Our dinner was fantastic! Kurt was our waiter and was very polite, attentive and helped me with suggesting a wine based on my likes, tried one glass and we bought a bottle for the rest of the dinner, which we took back to our Villa with us to finish. We ended up splitting our dinner ($3.00 charge) but well worth that, neither of us could even finish our “half” of the dinner. We had small salads beforehand, they were yummy as well! No room for dessert, so we headed back through the Vineyard paths to our Villa.
Saturday, our Mimosa breakfast was again a great experience. Julio was our waiter and he was really on top of things. Julio’s “assistant” was a jewel, Maria was so friendly and during our conversation found that she was actually Julio’s mother and that her husband also worked at the Resort (they have been married 42 years) and I kept saying to my husband thus far, “I am amazed that someone could have had a bad experience here…I guess we are getting really lucky”.
We took a stroll around the property, the pool was packed by 11a, so mental not to self, if we want to lounge at the pool next time, we will head over there no later than 10a to get a chair.
Midafternoon our “Up Close and Personal Wine Tour” led by Laura, was a lot of fun. (While I would have probably been disappointed to have paid $40 pp. for this tour, it was included in our package and we had a great time). We had 10 other really fun people in our group for this tour and Laura did a great job and it was neat to get the behind the scenes tour and then the tasting at the end. Which of course lead us into the lounge, experiencing another great tasting off the menu! I thought it was a good deal, you pick 6 wines of your choice for tasting and it included a plate of cheeses, prosciutto, salami, olives etc.. for $30.00. At that time, my husband was “wined out” and just ordered the local Hefeweizen on tap for only $4.50 a pint and he loved it. They have a nice piano (that plays itself) and we were just very relaxed people watching and enjoying the wines I chose.
Saturday evening, we were actually still full from the tastings from the day we just kicked back in the Villa, which we did end up with a Vineyard view (FABULOUS) and enjoyed the sunset.
Sunday we had another Mimosa breakfast (both days were included in our package) and we both tried the famous Banana Pancake with Vanilla Bean frosting/syrup and we were both elated! Again, couldn’t finish either of them, they were the size of the entire plate. But they were scrumptious!! Waitress (forgot her name) was again, very polite and attentive to our needs. Maria was also there, she remembered us from the day before and was just as friendly as if we had known her for 10+ years.
We checked out and were both just ‘revived’ at having a great relaxing weekend at South Coast Resort & Spa, with my husband actually saying out loud as we left, “I see no reason why we can’t do this every year for our anniversary. I had a really good time and thought was well worth the package price we paid!” So I jumped on board and will make sure we do this again and again each year, hoping to have the same if not better experience!
Thank you to all the staff at South Coast Winery & Spa for making our 10 yr. anniv. a very memorable and relaxing weekend getaway. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for the Vineyard view Villa, take some refreshments of your own for the room
Hi Ronda K,

Thank you for your wonderful review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa. We would like to thank you for choosing our beautiful winery resort as the destination for celebrating your 10th anniversary. We always love to read comments about our amazing staff and we couldn't be happier that they were part of making your anniversary trip so memorable. We are so glad to hear that you had such an amazing time at our winery resort from relaxing in your private villa overlooking the vineyards, enjoying dinner and breakfast at the Vineyard Rose restaurant, and partaking in a fun and informative Behind the Scenes wine tour. We hope to see you again next year for your 11th anniversary or perhaps you can stop by sooner for a relaxing day of wine tasting or spa treatments.

Cheers!
MacMasters Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Our son booked through Travel Zoo in the States, where he lives with our American daughter-in-law. We were visiting from Australia. We arrived and did a pre-check in, finding the staff friendly and helpful. However, the booking confirmation that was emailed to us said that all taxes were included, but the 'Voucher' said exactly the opposite. When we asked the girl at the desk to clear it up, she was instructed by her boss to apply the taxes. That was disappointing, and in my opinion is entirely unfair, deceitful, and thoroughly avoidable.
The hotel rooms were amazing; roomy, well-appointed and with a stunning view over the vineyards towards the ranges nearby.
The wine tasting experience was a joy, and fairly priced compared to some I had experienced. (Even though most wineries in Aus never charge you for tasting their wine, as they see it as an opportunity to promote their product). The selections of wines was abundant and covered a multitude of tastes and preferences. The staff member who did our pourings was the perfect balance of friendly, knowledgable and professional. And the wines were good, with several of them reminding me of home.
The dining in the Vineyard Rose restaurant was exceptional; wonderful quality food well prepared, and the waiter/sommellier was knowledgable and helpful, homing in on the exact style of wine we wanted to accompany the meal. Excellent.
The Mimosa breakfast at the same venue the next morning was a farce. We were received by a charming lady who asked if we were to have the Mimosa breakfast, to which we replied, yes. So the staff knew. We were shown to our table and then approached by a not-entirely friendly waiter who asked if we'd like coffee. We are both serious coffee drinkers, and so immediately answered yes. Trapped!! We had not even looked at the menu, and it was not made clear that by getting coffee we had foregone our right to the 'included' mimosa. Not only that, but I specifically asked if they did espresson coffee. I was assured that they did. I ordered a double-shot short black, and my wife a macchiato, stating clearly she wanted only a very little milk. What we got was not espresso coffee - it was the weak, drip-through coffee that is anathema to anyone outside the States. My wife's coffee came in a balloon cup, with about a qaurter pint of milk in it, the contents spilling into the saucer and melting the sugar sticks, with the same insipid coffee. For that privelege - because we insisited on having a mimosa each - we were charged over $6 each for the worst coffee we'd had anywhere during our American holiday. A complete scam, a ripoff. We let the staff know what we thought, and to be fair, they did apologise, but it was completely fake. We left there feeling completely disallusioned. By the way, the food was OK, if not great.
All in all? I think the taxes anomoly is totally avoidable and comes down to very poor management practice. Lazy and inept. The Momosa breakfast was the last impression we had of the place, and it was very negative indeed. We had intended to go back to the shop and buy some wines, but we couldn't get out of there quick enough.
So many things about this place are perfect, but overall they ruin it for their guests and themselves, by doing several things really badly. And by doing that, they lose customer dollars, and some reputation. Dumb!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the vineyards towards the hills.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Vanessa G, Public Relations Manager at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Hi Nick S,

We at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa would like to thank you for your recent visit to our winery resort and for your review. We strive to provide each guest with a wonderful experience and first-rate service during their visit. Firstly, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your private villa overlooking the vineyards, had a wonderful experience in our Tasting Room while sampling some of award-winning wines and enjoyed dinner at the Vineyard Rose restaurant. However, we are disappointed to hear about your experience while checking in and the issues regarding the Mimosa Breakfast. We try very hard to present our guests with clear Terms & Conditions but it seems like there may have been some discrepancy regarding the appropriate charge for taxes. We understand your frustration regarding the incident during your Mimosa Breakfast. The server should have made clear to you your choice of Mimosa or coffee with your breakfast prior to you completing your order. We apologize for the misunderstanding and the inconvenience these issues caused during your stay with us. That said, however, we value every comment received from our guests, as this provides us with direction for continued improvement. Customer feedback, such as yours, continues to play a contributing factor in the many upgrades and resort improvements we are implementing today. We hope you'll visit us again soon to enjoy another stay in Southern California's Temecula Valley Wine Country.

We hope to see you soon.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here for a night. We wanted to reaquaint ourselves with Temecula and see if it would be a place to take mini vacations (only 2 hours from LA). We were very pleased with this hotel. The rooms were very comfortable, clean and large. The views were great. The hotel staff were very kind - although they seemed to be learrning as they go (new hotel, new systems??? not sure why).

We were however, put off by the poor service and attitudes of the front desk staff in the Spa. The gentleman working the front desk was curt and dismissive and offered very little help. The woman who answered the phone when we called to make a reservation was not helpful and insisted on taking a credit card deposit even though we already had a room in the hotel (which was secured with a credit card). When I mentioned this to the hotel front desk, they said it was not necessary fro them to take a cc deposit.

When we booked our services, the Spa staff didn't mention that our appointment was the last of the day and that the Spa closes at 6. Needless to say, when we wanted to enjoy the Spa after our treatments, we were kicked out. We asked if we could come by in the morning for a short visit to the Spa and were told that the Spa access was only on the day of the treatment. There was no consideration of the fact that they didn't inform us of the hours nor that we had just arrived at the hotel that afternoon - leaving no time to enjoy the Spa.

Bottom line is we will definitely go back to the hotel, but I hope the Spa staff (not the therapists) get their act together and someone trains them on customer service.

Hi Scott P,

We at South Coast Winery Resort & Spa would like to thank you for your recent visit to our winery resort and for your review. We strive to provide each guest with a wonderful experience and first-rate service during their visit. Firstly, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations in our all new hotel tower suite. We are disappointed to hear about your experience at the GrapeSeed Spa. We understand your frustration regarding what you believed to be less than favorable customer service by the spa front desk attendant and the confusion regarding being asked to leave a credit card deposit and not being able to enjoy your time at the spa after your treatments. We apologize for the misunderstanding and the inconvenience these issues caused during your stay with us. Although we understand your frustration regarding the spa hours, we make every effort to ensure that information regarding hours of operation for all facilities is provided to each guest in their Passport to Excellence/key card holder as well as our in-room Guest Service Directories. That said, however, we value every comment received from our guests, as this provides us with direction for continued improvement. Customer feedback, such as yours, continues to play a contributing factor in the many upgrades and resort improvements we are implementing today. We hope you'll visit us again soon to enjoy another stay in Southern California's Temecula Valley Wine Country.

We hope to see you soon.

Mohave Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Beautiful lobby & pool - Grapeseed Spa is a travelers reward. The hotel offers lovely and spacious rooms that offers separates tubs and shower; clean and roomy balcony. A close walk to the Vineyard Rose restaurant that served great food with 5 star service, Walking to the tasting room through the roses was my best memory of the resort. beach is a must.

Room Tip: Spa and vineyard views from the South West rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Robert C,

Thank you for your 5 star review of South Coast Winery Resort & Spa! We are happy to hear that your stay at our winery resort exceeded your expectations and that you loved the beautiful grounds, luxurious hotel tower suite accommodations with private balcony, the GrapeSeed spa and saltwater pool. We are glad you had the opportunity to enjoy a delicious meal at the Vineyard Rose restaurant and wine tasting in one of our Tasting Rooms. We like to think of ourselves as the “diamond in wine country” too and we are glad you had such a wonderful experience during your visit. We would like to invite you back for another relaxing weekend getaway.

We hope to see you again soon.

Cheers!

Been to South Coast Winery Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!