“Falkner Winery, California's Temecula Valley's finest Syrah” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 89 Activities in Temecula
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: Falkner Winery is one of the premier wineries in southern California. Located in beautiful Temecula Wine Country, Falkner Winery offers spectacular hill-top vistas, daily wine tasting, tours, a large gift shop, wine tasting classes, weddings and scheduled events. FREE Jazz is performed on Sunday's from April through October. The Falkner's specialize in Mediterranean and Tuscan wine varietals including their award winning Super Tuscan "Amante". They also produce Viognier, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Riesling.
Alta Loma, California
6 attraction reviews
“Falkner Winery, California's Temecula Valley's finest Syrah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and our son who recently turned 21, enlisted in a class at Falkner's VIP Vertical Syrah Tasting. The group that joined the tasting consisted of couples and singles who were either new to wine tasting or wine club members. The tasting room was located down stairs below ground level where the French Oak casks were aging. In a Tuscan style, the large enclosed glass room had a big table with an elegant spread of selected fruits, cheeses, meats, nuts and other delicate delights for pairing with Syrah wines dating from 2001 to 2009. George, our host was 4 Season's Corporate Certified Sommelier and now wine maker for Falkner Winery. The group was first transported from a view of the vineyard sipping on a mimosa of Imperial Chandon with very little freshly squeezed hybrid Valenica/Mandarin Orange juice and went physically down to the aging rooms and up in spiritual quality. The class was held down stairs in the Pinnacle Restaurant. Apparently, the restaurant is owned and operated by winery. After introductions, we tasted each vintage, we were given historical aspects of the weather, the people involved and the wine maker's artistry that the general public can read about. The aroma of various vintage and pairings with what would be considered an outstanding 5 star hors d'oeuvres were consumed. There really was no time limit to the tasting of all 8 vintages from the Rock Creek Vineyard. I was entertained by the George's personable approach that displays his passion for his craft.

The first time I visited Falkner Winery was 3 weeks ago on a short visit that was uninspiring. Upon dining at the Pinnacle Restaurant, located next door to the Winery, I consider the cuisine offered as good as any cuisine in Napa, Mendocino, Sonoma Valleys. This prompted me to re-consider Falkner Winery and sign up for a special wine tasting class.

Located on 40620 Calle Contento, Temecula, California, I recommend this winery for the wine tasting classes. I am informed that they do not give regular classes as many of nearly 40 wineries in Temecula Valley, however, upon going to 7 classes, Falkner Winery has impressed me. I have been transformed from, knowing what wines I like to enjoying the Syrah wines which I did not explore in my youth. Upon meeting George and Ray, both who are passionate wine makers and their enthusiasm to teach people the joys of Syrah wines, I cannot think of why anyone with an ounce of a wish to learn wines should not enlist and be amazed. I bought bottles of their International Wine competition gold medal

I have been drinking wines in America, Central and South America, Europe and Asia and did not learn as much in over 40 years as I have in the time I spent at Falkner Winery. The dining afterwards at the Pinnacle Restaurant tops off any meal anywhere in the world.

Visited July 2012

Temecula, California
4 attraction reviews
“Great View... but That's about It”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

It's a nice place to visit - on a hill top in wine country with great views - but the wines really aren't very good and the tasting room is kind of seedy.

Visited May 2012
San Diego, CA
12 attraction reviews
“good, not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Worth a stop. Friendly and helpful tasting room staff. Wines are decent but lots of others in the area offering more complex wines these days.

Fresno, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Don't waste your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Horrible service!!!!!!!! Remember you are there to sell wine, that would mean your employees must know the wine and want to interact with the patrons. You guys need a lesson on customer service. And your wines suck.

Las Vegas, Nevada
9 attraction reviews
“Nice, friendly and a great view of the valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Visited Falkner as part of the WOW event last weekend. We had a great time there, as usual. We visit them every time we are in town. They had a full house for the event, has a great view of the valley and they had some local artists making oil paintings. The staff was friendly, in particular we want to thank Bob for being so informative and friendly when telling us about the fermentation process.
Also, if you get a chance to visit, you got to try their Meritage and Luscious Lips wines! They're awesome!