“Great Place To Fish” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Skinner State Park

Lake Skinner State Park
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Temecula
Lake Skinner State Park
You added Lake Skinner State Park to your Saves list
Rancho California Road, Temecula, CA   |
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Temecula
Menifee, California
“Great Place To Fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

If you like to fish you have to check out this underwater video that I made at Lake Skinner, hundreds of bass! The video is called under the dock http://www.reelschematic.com/gallery/index.html

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Business
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I read some of the reviews and got scared to camp here but i had already booked it. The staff was very nice the rangers were very helpful too. The bathrooms were very clean and always had paper towels and toilet paper. The camp was full this weekend but it wasnt crazy. Everyone was quiet at 10 and the ranger came by and told people to keep their kids quiet and turn off music. We slepted great both night. It was great to wake up and see the hot air balloons flying up around the mountains. It was a fun stay and everyone was very friendly expect our neighbor who was in a million dollar tour bus, i guess he was to cool for us but thats cool. Its camping there will be noise and kids around thats what its all about havin fun. We stayed here may 4 -6 2012. Will be back hopefully next month. We stayed in a section i our pop up trailer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Menifee, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed here a couple of years ago and it was awful. Decided to give it another try and they have improved in many areas. The staff was much nicer this time around and the bug problem we experienced last time was gone. They have added a nice amphitheater, newer bathroom facilities, newer playgrounds and a splash park which is great for the kids (although it only runs April-October). My husband fished one day while we were here and all he caught was a sunburn! As far as the campspot, they are way too close together. The layout of the site was also strange. Our firepit was right up against our neighbors trailer. And if you had neighbors like we did, you'll be getting eyeballed all night through the blinds. This is camping right? Isn't the purpose to be outdoors? Anyway, the best spots are on the ends of the rows but of course are hard to come by unless you reserve way in advance.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Unsure if it was the season, weather and or location, but this camping trip went much better.

Last time it was very loud at night and a lot more drinking went on, this time everything seems to have quieted down and overall it was peaceful after dark, unlike our last camping trip.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Temecula, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

The best time to go is winter- less people, less noise. I've never had a problem with staff but I've never run into anyone but front gate. I do think 6 bucks on the weekend for day use is high. The waterpark is fun in summer but it gets way too crowded on the weekend. In winter, its closed. Fishing is not good. It does get hot in summer. Balloons aglow in the summer is fun- its around the fourth of july. By far the best thing to do is have a picnic and walk around the lake in the dead of winter!

• Stayed January 2012
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

My family and I come to Lake Skinner a few times a year to relax and enjoy the park. This past August we were camping next to some people who very rude and drinking. They were playing some kind of toss game right in front of the camp site next to them and it wasnt even their site. They were drinking during the day and then late at night and being loud. They would be quiet when the rangers were close by and then would be loud and laugh about it. Two of the campers next to us had to call and complain because these campers were threatening to kick people's a$$ if they called the rangers on them. The rangers were called the next day and even then were treated badly by these campers yelling and cussing at the one ranger who showed up. I do not understand why these kind of people are allowed to stay and camp in the park. They should have been kicked out. It looks like the park is only interested in money and not the safety and enjoyment of the campers. I love to go camping but this was not a very good weekend and it sounds like the review from menifee is the people that other campers were complaining about. I will go back, but I will stay next to a camp host in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Menifee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

First off, we are avid campers. We have camped all over California and Arizona. We decided to camp at Skinner because it was close to home and we wanted to form our own opinion. We have children ages 8 & 10 and camp with 5 other groups. The only positive thing about Skinner is the park is clean. The biggest complaint I have which left an awful taste in my mouth was the RUDE staff! From the moment we arrived till the time we left, the camp host, the gate attendants and the Ranger were unbelievably rude. They definitely need to teach a class on customer service and how to approach people.
It started when we decided to drop our children off a day early with their grandparents before we came in. We showed up at 9pm to drop them off and the front gate charged us $3 just to come in to drop them off! I had no cash and they still swiped my credit card. Ridiculous I thought, but those are their rules so I kept my mouth shut. Next, the rangers came by our camp spot multiple times and were extremely rude every time. I mean, extremely rude. I was dumbfounded at the way they approached us. They wouldn't let you talk and treated us like we were children. Also, there is nothing to do in the summer time there. It was extremely hot and all they have is a little baby water splash area that is packed with outside guests because they only charge $5 a car load. Totally trashy people. I also thought it was ridiculous that they lock you in after 10pm. You cannot exit the park from 10pm to 6am. This is a first because usually a park will not allow entry after a certain hour, but will still allow you to exit. I asked the staff, "what if I have an emergency?" Their response was to call 911. I said by the time I wait for the ambulance to come all the way out to Skinner then drive all the way into the park, it could be a matter of life and death. They said we could wake up a camp host and they would unlock the gate. I didn't like the fact that I could get out with my son's asthma. My parents as well as ourselves ended up leaving a day early because we felt uncomfortable there. All of our friends that were camping had the same experience and said they will never come back. I'm filing a complaint on their Ranger as well. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Lake Skinner State Park? Share your experiences!