“The rooms were very clean but the slot machines are very tight” 4 of 5 stars

Pechanga Resort and Casino
45000 Pechanga Pkwy, Temecula, CA 92592   |
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Temecula
Orange County, California
“The rooms were very clean but the slot machines are very tight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

I stayed at the Pechanga Resort & Casino last night and I arrived at 11 AM in the morning of February 20, 2008...I live about 1 hour away and just drove there from my apartment..I had planned on staying at the hotel to relax for the night and do some light gambling...I parked my car in the parking garage and made my way inside the casino...I got about half way through the casino and started playing the $1 slots...I spent about $40 and did not win anything...I went to some other slots and spent another $20 and the machines that I played just kept my money...I looked around and I didn't see anyone really winning anything big and it appeared to be the same story for most of the casino floor...I have gambled at many Las Vegas casinos and have been to most of the California Indian casinos and Pechanga (in my opinion) doesn't pay out and it seems like the machines are very tight and hold most of your money when you play..I don't know what the percentage rates are but Pala casino (down the road from Pechanga casino) is a better choice for your gaming value time...The weekends are the best time to gamble at Pechanga (Friday, Saturday) and when I go on the weekend the slot machines are in a winning mode and I see more people winning (even if it is a little bit of money) vs. going there and playing on the weekdays..I made my way to the hotel front desk (it was 11am and there was no line) and the friendly lady at the desk asked me if I needed help..I was impressed and she gets a A++ for the super service she provided (I don't remember her name) I asked her how much the rooms were tonight and she quickly checked on her computer and asked if I had a AAA card (to save me more money on the room rate) This was opposite of what you would expect from a business that is trying to get every dollar they can out of you...once again impressed with the customer service..I used a debit back card and she advised me of the $119 rate plus a $50 hold (because it was a debit card with a Visa logo) She then handed me my room card keys and told me the bell hop would show me to the room...I told him that I could find my way to the room and "thank you" anyway then shook his hand..he was kinda of surprised that I didn't need him but accepted this fact...Maybe he works on tips? and thought that since I didn't need him that he wasn't going to make any tip money...I didn't think of his potential tip factor untill later on that night..So I get to the elevator and make my way to the 8th floor and quickly find my room...I used the electronic card key and it lit up green and unlocked the door...I made my way inside the room and I was impressed by the size of the room and how clean it was..I had a view of the Temecula Valley and of the casino below (see my pic) I looked around and noticed a coffee maker, iron, iron board, electronic safe, a small refridgeator, two coffee cups, a ice cube bucket with tongs, two regular drinking glasses, a can of coffee ($7.99 more if you take it or open it up) and a single serving of regular coffee, decaf coffee, black tea, and green tea (all free to use or take with you) I opened the wooden dresser doors where the TV was hiding behind then and wasn't really impressed by the regular old style Phillips television (it should be a flat screen or LCD style television to make the whole experience better)...On top of the television was a Nintendo 64 controller and below that was a wireless keyboard and remote control for the television...The view of the Temecula valley was breathtaking and probably better then the mountain or pool view rooms..The place was very clean and I couldn't find any dust on anything...I did notice a few small stains on the room chair but it wasn't big and you would have to look very close to see it...The bathroom had plenty of towels and everything was folded and looked nice..there was also a hairdryer, Q-Tips (not the real Q-TIP brand but cheaper) , cotton balls, a makeup mirror (mounted to the bathroom wall) and extra toliet paper...Everything worked great and the water got warm fast when I took a shower..there is also a drain plug if you decide to take a bath...the bathroom was clean and in new looking shape..they also give youa complimentry shampoo, conditioner, dental rinse (mouthwash) and soap...the shower curtain was thick and the toliet had a seperate rolling door for privacy..The television has internet ($9.95 per day extra) and there is also a ethernet cable and port to plug your personal notebook or laptop into to use your own set up...You can also order pay-per view movies, television, adult movies, or Nintendo 64 games...I believe I got this room cheap at $119 per night because I have seen it go for up to $180 per night..I guess I stayed on a night where nothing was going on at the casino (no concerts or comedy acts)...The bed was big and comfy and you can control the temperature of the room using the in room digital thermostat...There is also an alarm clock with a compact disc player with AM/FM radio near your bed to wake up on time...The hotel room is what is hot at Pechanga but the casino slot machines need to loosen up and let people at least play for awhile...I did see one lady hit $600 on a $1 slot but that was nothing compared to how many people playing that seemed to be losing on the floor..I never play cards so I couldnt tell you anything about card games and I don't drink alcohol so can't say anything about the bar...Save your money and get the room and eat at the many resturants and enjoy the room...Check out was easy and I checked out using the television in my room and left my room keys on the table but I didn't get a confirmation email like the television message said that I would get but maybe I typed my email address in wrong..I called after I got home to confirm that I was checked out to be sure I will not be charged for two nights...I like the Southern California casinos because the drive time is less then driving to Las Vegas, Nevada but Las Vegas is much more fun and the slots out there are way looser

• Liked — The clean hotel room
  • Disliked — The $9.95 charge to use the internet on the Television and lack of .05 and .25 three reel slot machines
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Corona, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

We went on Valentine's Day to see a show at the Pechanga and the showroom was pretty good; it was made for shows, not doubling as a sports arena. However, we live 40 minutes away and next time, we'll skip the so-called "resort" and drive home after the show. We brought our bags in with us since it was too cold to make 2 trips, and the second we got our room keys some old bellhop grabbed our bags, put them on his cart and started babbling about the resort and asking where are we from, etc. Now, I hate being hustled for tips. Even so, we let him do it, I gave him 5 bucks and off he went after giving us a tour of our room. The room itself was nice, the towels were of Hilton quality, the shower was hot; but like another reviewer said, there was no fan in the bathroom and no heat lamp to stand under after a shower. I opened up the bedside table and the previous occupant had left a full flask of whiskey, which brings the cleaning to suspect. The TV remote didn't work and the batteries were probably dead, but I didn't feel like calling the desk so I let it go. The casino itself was a cigarette cloud and although our room was non-smoking, we couldn't help but smell that wisp of cigarette, whether in the central air, or maybe people bring it in on their clothes, you're not getting away from the thick smell of nicotine. After the show we ate at Blazing Noodles. The waitress was very nice and service was relatively quick. My wife liked the fish soup she got; I ordered some sort of creamy shrimp, walnut and mushroom thing that didn't set right with me and I only ate a little, but judging from the slurping of the other patrons, it was me and not the food. In short: see the shows, even eat the food, but skip the hotel.

• Liked — View from the room was very nice.
  • Disliked — The smell of cigarettes in everything, also the bellhop grabbing our bags to hustle a tip.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

Pechanga resort is a nice place to visit, but I would not recommend staying the night here. The improv is nice and the shows are generally good. The restaurant, The Great Oak, serves the best steak I have ever had. That is the good stuff.

Now, the bad: we have eaten at the restaurant Paisano's twice. The first time, it took 2 hours to get our dinner. This time, was even worse. The waitress was SO awful. Probably the worst that I have ever had. You have to order your noodles separate from your entree, which would have been nice to know before our food came. They were out of the appetizer we wanted and could care less. It was a bother for her to bring butter with the bread. I looked around, and this seemed to be the norm there. They just plop the bread down in front of you and walk away. The Cafe' has the worst food I have ever had. For breakfast, they served cold mushy potatoes, rubbery bacon, and the coffee was unbelievably awful. The waitress was very nice there, though (too bad she didn't work at Paisano's the night before).

The room decor is like a Holiday Inn, and there is no fan in the room nor a fan in the bathroom. Our room was nonsmoking and smelled of smoke. The air conditioner does not go below 60, which it definitely never felt. It was stuffy and you could hear everything outside the doors of the room. I will not be staying here again.

• Liked — Improv and Great Oak restaurant
  • Disliked — No fan in room or in bathroom, paper thin walls, Pasiano's restaurant, The Cafe' restaurant
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2007

This is my third time staying in Pechanga and have to say the facilities and rooms at the Hotel are very good, where my main problem was when I was checking out.
The first problem I had was they did not have any details of the amount the took out at time of booking and I had to produce copies of credit card statement , before they accepted this .
There reasoning was they had a new booking system and none of the outstanding balances were transferred over.
The second was I made 2 phone calls from the room back home to Ireland which was 6 minutes in total and they charged us $70 .
When asked to speak to a manager about this there was no one on duty even though it was thanksgiving weekend and have emailed them constantly but have never recieved a reply.
I will not be staying at pechanga again.

Stayed November 2007
Orange, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

I stayed here on my way down to San Diego. As far as
I know it is one of the largest Indian casinos in california.
The regular rooms are pretty standard but the suites are
very nice. Large, with a nice wetbar-This is the way I would go.
I ate at 3 of the restaurants (I believe there at least 6 or 7)
-blazing noodles, the buffet and the steakhouse- they were all excellent. Front desk and car valet service tend to be slow.

Stayed August 2007
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2007

We had a Marine Corps Ball at Pechanga on 11/07 and on several diffent occasions the staff, security and managers treated men in uniform very poorly. At one point the night manager, Michelle called a female Marine a "disgrace to the uniform" for NO reason. Our bags were searched at the elevator for no apparent reason except that our military uniform was present.

What else?
The food in the cafe was NOT good.
You can not take your own liquor to your room.
If you don't gamble you are treated poorly.
Craps sucks, go to Vegas!

Overall really bad place, I would never suggestion anyone visit Pechange Casino.

• Disliked — Rude, disrespectful staff
  • Stayed November 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

Okay, so I have to say after reading the reviews I was VERY weary about staying here. We went for a party at the hotel and all other were sold out. Overall, I am glad we stayed here. The rooms were well maintained and could be cleaned up to twice a day.

Silk---wow, we went to the club one of the nights. A real "special"crowd there. Be forwarned NO JEANS are allowed. The music was awesome if you like the new stuff (i.e. Justin Timberlake, rap, some 90s, etc.). The DJ did his job because the dance floor was going non-stop. It was a good time.

• Stayed October 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Pechanga Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!