“the Hangover in Temecula” 3 of 5 stars

Pechanga Resort and Casino
45000 Pechanga Pkwy, Temecula, CA 92592   |
Ranked #8 of 18 hotels in Temecula
Monrovia, California
“the Hangover in Temecula”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I'm spoiled by the Las Vegas experience, so Pechanga really didn't knock it out of the park for me. Heck, even the OLD casino's at the Nevada stateline, for their age, have more charm than Pechanga. That being said, the place has it's own sense of space and tranquility that you do not get from the rush-rush-rush high pace of Nevada.

We were out in wine country for a mid-week getaway and had a little too much too late into the evening, and SURPRISE all of the cheap hotels and motels out near Temecula were booked up, except Pechanga. We spent so much on good wine, we decided why not, we were splurging already, and we headed to Pechanga (thank you shuttle vans) before we got on the road and risked life and limb.

Despite being REALLY trashed, the staff was able to check us in and get us up to our rooms to sleep it off. Our rooms were last minute, so we didn't want nor think about getting anything too fancy. Seriously, the staff there was very good to us even though I believe we were making a scene (yeah, so gone I don't remember how we got to the rooms). The rooms were simple and efficient (photos on website look good, but the quality of the bed material... well, you can feel it in your hands), just above 3 star hotel quality and refreshingly didn't smell like a wild and crazy party town. But the hallways felt more like you were walking in someone's corporate office rather than a resort, despite the themes and decorations.

And if you have been in Vegas too often and your mind and body are used to coming up out of a drunken haze... let me tell you that a hang over in the casino area is really jarring. I can appreciate the science and investment Vegas has put into muffle the background noise so that a walk through the casino is not unpleasant on the ears. Here, you hear every yank on the handle, every machine awarding money or being made active... ugh, nauseating.

BUT the outdoor area and excellent breakfast selection (despite the small servings) more than made up for it. And besides, we didn't come here to gamble. We came to a safe place to recover from too much wine. And that's exactly what Pechanga was able to provide. An inland spa/resort that just happens have gambling as an option.

So if you do go, keep your expectations low and let the place surprise you. Just don't go there expecting a the great Vegas experiences. Let the resort show off it's own charms on it's own.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

330 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We have been visiting the Temecula area since 1999 when the Pechanga Casino was open for gambling in mobile units and tents. Since their new hotel, casino & golf course has opened we have stayed there for a few concerts,wine and balloon festivals over the last 5 years. In late-May, we took advantage of the Resort's "Fuel Your Summer" package. This package included a comp. upgrade to a suite, 15% in their shops, 15% in spa services and a $15.00 gas voucher at their on-property gas station. We enjoyed the good staff services from the Valet parking, the Front Counter, Shop store gals, the casino managers, dealers and the buffet staff workers. The rooms were very clean and the bedding was very soft. For a great casino & hotel packages In So. California this is the best resort to stay and is all within an hour's drive from the Orange County area.

Room Tip: Use your "Pechanga Club Card" for added discounts & Resort specials. For additional l...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Henderson, NV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed here for a couple nights while visiting family. We got comped rooms based on previous play, I guess. Either way, valet, bell desk, and front desk staff were all very friendly. The room was nice, clean, and well stocked with the standard stuff.

The pool area has everything you would expec from a casino resort except a pool. I has cabanas, a bar with food, lots of chairs for sunbathing, and music piped in. Then there's the pool. It looks like they ran out of money and got the most basic pool they could afford. It is a basic, rectangular pool with a ladder and steps. If their reasoning is that they located it on the third floor of the building, they should have moved it.

The casino has everything you may want to play, including a HUGE poker room. The wife and I probably could not have won a coin toss if it were just the two of us in there as far as the slots were concerned. The poker room does run some nice promotions and tournaments. The casino staff, in general, needs to work on their customer relations skills. There were a few friendly faces, but most seemed too busy being self-occupied. Plus , after spending hours at the car table, I still had to pay $5 for a domestic beer. I dont think I've ever paid for a drink in a casino before.

The food options are plentiful, and priced as I they have you trapped. The Blazing Noodles restaurant has an excellent chicken satay appetizer, the coffee kiosk has some awesome baked goods, and the food court is the best eating bargains in the building. I suggest the sandwiches at the Parkway. Huge and delicious!

I wanted to try their highly touted (at least by themselves) golf course, but didn't feel like shelling out $80 for the twilight guest rate. I can play courses just as nice for half that at home. If you can move up tiers in their casino players club, you get a better discount, but they weren't able to explain how an it seemed to take 100,000 points to move up.

Anyway, overall the Pechanga hotel is nice (depending on the price), the casino is the best in a 40 mile radius, and the food is a plus if you find the bargains.

• Stayed June 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Hotel: The entrance, front desk and gaming area are very nice, probably on par with some of the nicest hotels in Vegas.

Parking: Valet or self-parking, ample self-parking so should never be an issue finding a space.

Dining: The hotel has a number of dining options, plus room service.

Rooms: For all the hype and the cost of the room, I must admit I was expecting something more. Staying at the number of hotels I do, you begin to see the subtle and not so subtle differences prices do for a room. In this case, I would call the room standard to a little above standard at best. The room was very similar to a La Quinta room I stayed in recently. The major difference is the cost. The rooms at this location are usually above average for the area and with that, I would have expected a little more of a room. The bed, size of the room, flat screen TV and bathroom were in my opinion satisfactory, but nothing that I would recommend based on the above average price. For business travels especially, since internet access is additional, which is included in most other hotels in the area.

Pool: Another disappointment was the pool area. I expected a resort of this size to have a large pool, something similar to casino resorts in Vegas. No so, the pool is possibly larger than most national chain hotels, but certainly nothing that makes it stand out.

I have to say I like to location of the hotel. It’s surrounded by mountains and lush fields of green grass. I’m sure the gold course is a pleasure to play in the morning hours. With that said, unless you get a great rate on the room that brings it close to or below the prevailing average cost of rooms in the area, I would recommend you think hard about the true reasons for staying here.

For business travelers, the added cost of internet on top of room cost will defiantly make you want to consider other options.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband and I went there for 4 days and we had a blast. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from. We enjoyed the sports bar Kelsey's alot. You have to pay for drinks but the prices aren't too bad.

We also enjoyed a couples massage. It was wonderful and staff was so nice.

We also hit the pool. Kinda small but it was still nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We had a good time at Pechanga. Won money for once. Didn't stay in the Hotel but the food was good in the Casino. As for the campground... It is nice. The spaces are big enough for my 39' 5th wheel and space for hangin out. No fires though (only real bummer). Full hookups, pool, horseshoe pits, bathrooms, laundry and full 24 hour shuttle service to the casino (two minutes away) Very clean. All the spaces are concrete and grass. No dirt.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is a really nice resort for being so close to Los Angeles and in a suburb area where houses are known to be very low cost. It is on the way to San Diego for some people driving from areas east of Los Angeles area like Pomona and Arcadia (not East LA).

The pool area is open only to guests however we were able to tour the pool. The view is nice from the green mountains however the pool is super tiny for the size of the hotel, has live music on weekends and movies projecting at night at the pool but its full of kids, (see pic) so if you are an adult I dont think you will get in. The sun is super burning strong just like some other parts of California like Burbank and OC which is weird as you wont get that kind of sun at Santa Monica for instance. The smell of burgers was awesome although we didnt eat there, we had to get out of the sun.

I was curious about the comments made about the staff here on tripadvisor so purposely I engaged in conversation with any staff member I ran into and they were ALL nice and polite, from gaming, to SPA (where the girl gave us a free tour), and the pool area and the rest. I think the place is a bit under rated. Not sure about the nightly hotel cost but for gambling its certainly a good place to go for a day trip.

I am an avid craps player so I was a bit reluctant to play without dice and only cards but it was good, the cards come out of a machine, the dealer puts a single card down and the other five on its side, they come out of different part of the shuffle machine. Then the dealer flips the single card side up but doesnt show the other 5. Not sure why the other 5 even get on the table. Anyway. The dealer does this with two sets of 6 cards, one red, one blue. So the dealer ends up with two rows, one row is red, one row is blue, the first row in red is one card facing up, and 5 cards facing down, the second row is the same but in blue. The two cards facing up are the ones that determine the play. Its kind of faster too than the dice game and you dont have to keep waiting while people mess with the dice. But its obviously not as much fun as the entire table watching the dice roll and scream. lol. There was only one craps table working and another one that was off which is not very good. The limit was $5 which is my preference. The 12 pays double (not triple) so I dont play the field there.

The food court was good, for the two of us was $19 for Mexican food, the quality was average. We didn't eat at the restaurants as the price seemed a bit high.

Ok, its NOT the cigarettes, its the lack of ventilation. After an hour at the Casino I felt like I cannot breath any longer. They smoke all over vegas too but unless you are standing next to someone you dont smell it because they are very well ventilated I guess.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pechanga Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!