“It pays to get off of the beaten track.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 89 Activities in Temecula
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
Los Angeles, California
“It pays to get off of the beaten track.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I was recently wine tasting. Honestly more like wine drinking but not driving in Temecula. The Wineries on Rancho California Rd were too busy for me. I grabbed a map and found myself back on De Portola rd away from the main wineries. I wandered into Leonesse and was very glad i did. In addition to some very nice reds that produce a really nice Port. Actually it started to get crowded here too.

Green Valley, Arizona
56 attraction reviews
“For Temecula this is one of the better wineries. Ok wine but costly; good views”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

After 3 days wine touring in Temecula I found the overall area somewhat under whelming. My focus was on smaller wineries serving primarily a range of reds - Cab, Zin and Syrah. Found most of the wines to be middle of the road and over priced as they typically started at $30 plus. Agree with another review who found most of the reds, including those Leonesse, to be drinkable but middle of the road. Did not generally find a lot to distinguish between the different varietals. Leonesse had a crowd when I visited (tour bus was there) but they had the tour group at a separate bar. Though the area I was at was busy I found the pourer attentive and knowlegeable. He even poured a couple of wines off the wine club list for me. For Temecula area it was one of my better winery experiences.

Omaha, NE
3 attraction reviews
“Outstanding views but the Red wine is...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010 via mobile

Outstanding views but the Red wine is below average, not robust and lacks the tannins. But it was smooth and very easy to drink-like water.

Philadelphia, PA
“AMAZING !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

So, we are in San Diego from Philly, and our B&B hostess suggested a few wineries/vineyards in Temecula to visit. We happened to choose Leonesse because we missed the times of the other ones--and boy, are we glad we did! We called in around an hour ahead to ask about a tasting/tour, and Christie on the phone was SO helpful and friendly in regards to setting it up. When we got there, they weren't quite ready -- so Christy sat us at the comfy leather couch with a glass of white wine while we sat and drank in the amazing view (and wine). And then Nathaniel arrived -- and gave us a most spectacular and informative tour. Thank you SO much for such a fantastic experience. We even met the owner, who himself was down-to-earth and friendly. If you are ever in the area, do consider stopping by this warm and welcoming place!!!

California
“Tuscan look alike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

Leonesse winery is so picturese to me. We felt it looked a tuscan landscape. The staff and the wine were great and i will definitely be back to enjoy it again.