“A Total Gem in North Tahoe!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday House

Save Saved
You added Holiday House to your Saves list
Holiday House
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7276 North Lake Blvd., P.O.Box 229, Tahoe Vista, CA 96148   |
Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Tahoe Vista
Carmel, California, United States
“A Total Gem in North Tahoe!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Holiday House is such a special place. We had never stayed here before and the main reason we booked with the Holiday House was we could bring our dog... what a pleasant surprise this little hotel is!

First, the Holiday House offers THE BEST lake views, hands down, for the price. The property is right on the lake and all the rooms either open up to a shared deck or balcony with chairs and tables. There isn't a beach, but you can walk down the stairs right to the water and swim out to a floating dock. Your also walking distance to a few different restaurants (Spindleshanks and Captain John's).

The woman who runs/owns the property, Alvina, is very friendly and welcoming, and just a lovely hostess. If we needed anything, she was happy to accommodate us.

While it's a small property (I think just 8 rooms), we felt like we had privacy. The rooms are spacious, and the room we stayed in had a separate bedroom and living room, with a full kitchen. My husband, dog, and I were very comfortable staying there for a week. Keep in mind that the coffee mugs may not match, etc., but that's really the charm of the place. And I have to say the shower was really nice!

We had such a lovely time, we ended up adding a day to our 7 day stay, because we didn't want to leave. I'm so glad we found this Tahoe treasure!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fort Bragg, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The Holiday House was in an excellent location with fantastic views. The furniture was a little worn but it was only one of very few on the lake side that allows dogs. The owner even brought some throw blankets for the couch and bed just in case your dog jumps on the furniture along with a towel if your dog gets wet and doggie biscuits. The little kitchenette was just the right size for preparing breakfast although new fry pans would be appreciated. There is a Bar B Q for anyone to use. Parking is a little tight but not a problem.

Room Tip: All rooms have full lake view.
Granite Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We rented a buoy from Alvina in view of the Holiday House. Our error in attaching the shackle to her buoy resulted in the boat coming loose. Alvina immediately contacted us and kindly secured our boat to her dock so that no damage occurred to our boat.

Quemado, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at Holiday House for a family wedding on the recommendation of a local because it was dog friendly and had a lovely view of the lake. I had spoken with Alvina the proprietor in planning our trip and understood that while the kitchen had a small under counter refrigerator, otherwise it was a full kitchen as I had some cooking to do. Actually, it was smaller than a camper kitchen with the space between the tiny stove and sink, maybe a full 12 inches. The good news was that there was a propane bbq on the communal deck which we used to cook dinner as the small stove was not up to cooking for 4. There were 2 knives-- a small steak knife and a large bread knife for all chopping and slicing needs. The small refer had a tiny freezer compartment that held one plastic ice tray so if you wanted to cool several drinks, it was not up to the task. There was no ice machine on premises, you had to drive to Safeway and buy ice and have a cooler in which to store it.

There was a lovely view out our 2 sliding windows to the lake. One window had no screen, the other window’s was bent so it was good the bug count was not high this time of year. The week we were there it was quite hot in the afternoons with little breeze which was when we discovered there was no air conditioning. Nights cooled down enough to sleep comfortably but the afternoons in the high 90’s needed some AC or fans at least.

There is access to the lake by climbing off a deck onto boulders and large rocks and carefully picking your way out into the water, a very uncomfortable process. No effort has been made to make water access easier and there is nothing resembling even a small beach. Other relatives were staying at other places along the lake, all of which had nice access to the water and were a lot less expensive so we had a frame of reference. They were not traveling with a dog which was the difference in price and features and is why Holiday House is able to charge what it does without providing what other places on the lake do

We were brought fresh towels daily—small towels, nothing big and fluffy-- and the wastebaskets were emptied. Otherwise, there was NO housekeeping at all. We were there for 6 nights and the carpet was never vacuumed, our sheets were never changed, our bed never made, no dusting etc.

The tv was a tiny old box so it was good that we didn’t spend any time watching it. The person in the room above us was quiet but there was nothing he could do to keep his floor and our ceiling from squeaking very loudly whenever he walked.

My complaint is not that the place has few genuine amenities other than the nice touch of a welcome basket for our dog because we also camp and can make do. Our dissatisfaction comes from paying a lot of money for a room and finding the facilities were nowhere at all commensurate to the expense. Our 6 night stay cost $1303 and for that we at the very least expected daily housekeeping, nice fluffy towels, AC, modern TV, a more useful kitchenette, some soundproofing and an easy access to the lake. This place is for the dogs.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I called to make a reservation for me, my fiancee and my dog. After getting the usual questions about the dog (size, friendly, keeping him in a crate when not there) the owner said, "O.K., I've got your reservation all set for tonight." Then after driving 2 hours coming from south of San Fran, I get a call back from the lady saying she made a mistake and she has no room for the evening!! What kind of poor business practice is that?? So I told her I was already on the way and had driven 2 hours... all she could say was "sorry." I asked her to call around and find another hotel for us, then, since my phone battery was low. She said she wouldn't. Totally a terrible experience with a lady that obviously lied about having a reservation or just has chaos in her office that she can't keep anything straight... makes me wonder if the sheets in the bedrooms get cleaned between guests??

Never the less, after arriving in north Tahoe we went from hotel to hotel and finally found a pet-friendly room. Tahoe is beautiful, but if you want a guaranteed room, I wouldn't stay at the Holiday House!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

My husband, son and dog stayed here midweek at the end of March. We had a very pleasant room overlooking the lake with incredible views. There was a nice kitchenette with a microwave, small refrigerator, oven and stove with enough pots and pans to rustle up a nice meal. A Safeway is located conveniently nearby for all your grocery shopping needs. The beds were comfortable and the rooms smelled nice. There was even a little basket with a blanket and a doggie treat for the dog. You cannot leave your dog in the room alone as with most hotels but that was okay because we wanted to take our dog to play in the snow for the first time while my son took skiing lessons. Very charming. We will definitely come back again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Vallejo, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

After spending a miserable night in South Lake Tahoe, the first thing in the morning I got online to find another place to stay. Pet Friendly in North Lake Tahoe. Holiday House popped up. I immediatlely called and Alvina was so warm and gracious and accommodating. My husband, my fabulous dog Wilson and I headed North. As soon as we got to our room, I was at peace. I have been battling cancer for almost a year now and the accommodations, view and hospitality from Alvina brought a sense of peace to my inner soul. So fortunate our paths crossed and look forward to sharing Holiday House with those who would appreciate the experience. Thank you Alvina!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday House? Share your experiences!