“$30 Specials were spectacular. $15 Fish...” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Bend, Oregon
“$30 Specials were spectacular. $15 Fish...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

$30 Specials were spectacular. $15 Fish n chips were mediocre at best. Slaw accompanying fish n chips was delicious.

Rustic lodge feel was nice. Service was quick and friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Mill Valley, California
“Laid-back fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I can honestly say that I have never been to a place like this. The layout is casual and somewhat rustic, giving off the vibe that this was the kind of place to maybe get a pleasant crowd of locals mixed with tourists looking to get good, fresh beer and seasoned garlic fries fit for any of your usual après-ski joints in Tahoe. That isn't unusual for the area but when the first plates passed us by for other tables I could tell something special was going on in the kitchen.
While the cuisine is not haute, the dishes on which we dined were each superbly prepared and the ingredients were well selected.
My guest had fresh trout while I had the skirt steak and chili relleno plate (I know, I've never had that combo before but it worked!) so we ended up looking to share a bottle of white. I asked the waiter for a recommendation on a Sauvignon Blanc and the wine steward was walking by so we talked a little wine...next thing I know he's coming back out of the cellar with this white that he thought he had sold out of a while back but loved—and it was a perfect match (for a decent price to boot). It also turned out he was co-owner with the chef in the kitchen. No wonder it the service and food were so fantastic. I will be going back, and soon.
I don't usually gush like this but think it is fun to share this diamond in the semi-rough in the hope that I can keep a good thing going for not only others to experience but for me to know it will be here when I come back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco Bay Area
“I'd go Excellent but always room for improvement.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

The restaurant was nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. But a bit to laid back for me. It would also be nice if they would tell you the price of the "Special" before you order it. We had "Wild Stripper" French Dip and Beef Brisket. All we very good. Look forward going again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

we'd seen good reviews of this restaurant prior to arriving in Tahoe Vista and it was walking distance from our motel so thought we'd give it a try. The building looked in reasonable condition and in keeping with the resort. We sat in the covered area with a view over the lake. The service was very efficient and friendly but the food was fantastic - my seared ahi tuna was delicious and unusual. The experience was so good we went back the next night and found the food and service to be equally as good the second time.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tacoma, WA
“Best Food in Tahoe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

I've found that often, a restaurant's trendy factor and the food quality are not always equal. Likewise, an expensive menu does not equate to a high quality experience. Spindleshanks has a casual dining environment with a dining room finished in rough pine that did not quite prepare me for the dinner menu prices in the mid to high 20's for entrées on the a la carte menu. However... My wife and I left totally satisfied - and she can be a tough customer to server. My wife has a raft of food allergies that keep us eating at places that can accommodate ingredient changes, and our waiter and the kitchen were more than willing to make some changes for her. She had the Brick Chicken - an Asian influenced chicken preparation weighted to to grill with a brick apparently - with some changes to the accompaniments that she could not eat due to allergies. I had the best New York strip steak I've ever had - perfectly cooked with a Gorgonzola demi sauce. I usually avoid a restaurant cooked New York because I've almost never been satisfied with either the quality of the cut. This steak and the sauce that came with it were absolutely perfect, I enjoyed it so much I gave a tip to the cook. The wait staff - waiter, busser - where attentive but not annoying. I left a 20% tip. We did not go in the bar for drinks, but it looked hoppin'.