“Exceeded our expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 hotels in Tahoe Vista
Castro Valley, California
“Exceeded our expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

We just stayed here with some friends in a lakeside 2bed/2bath room with a pullout sofa. From looking at the pictures, we were expecting something kind of old and outdated, but we were thrilled when we arrived and the room was completely refurbished! It looked like new! The beds were relatively new and comfortable, with the exception of the pullout sofa... The pullout sofa was new, but the mattress springs were uncomfortable. The kitchen was a wonderful convenience and the local Safeway got a lot of business from us. The only problem with the kitchen was the refrigerator. Unbeknown to us, it was set to the coldest setting when we got there and it froze all of our food (hence the reason we had to go to Safeway to replace a lot of the food we bought!!).
The resort is in an excellent location right on the lake and close to skiing. My only complaints would be the inconvenience of having a front desk that's only open 9am-9pm and the somewhat "extreme" check-in (4pm) and check-out (10am) times.
We were having some issues with the website we were trying to book the resort through, so I called the resort directly and asked them to beat the price of the website I was looking at. I booked it over the phone for a great deal, and I would highly recommend that everyone give the resort a call to book! That will also give you an opportunity to make sure you're in a refurbished room (I'm not sure if they've redone all of them yet). We would stay again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Vacaville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

These rooms are actually small apartments. The one bedroom is quite spacious with a large bathroom, full kitchen, pull out sofa, nice bedroom, recently replaced mattress and very nice feather comforter. Our friends rented the two bedroom with the same amenities, bathroom was much smaller, living room had a gas pot belly stove. Nice quiet place to stay, we really enjoyed and would definitely go back again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Like some of the other reviews that you'll read on this site, I was also wary about booking a room here due to some of the negative reviews, but it was for New Year's Eve and there weren't many choices in my price range.

Let me first say that I am a very experienced business traveler, with probably close to a thousand hotel stays over the last 20 years, usually in three or four star hotels. I will not stay in a backpacker hotel or even a two star hotel if I can help it, but on the other hand I do not demand evey little upscale luxury and service that you'd expect at a five star hotel. Basically I look for comfort, quiet, cleanliness, safety, and the feeling of basic quality.

I was very happy at Tahoe Sands. Really comfy Queen sized bed, great heating, flat screen TV, free fast WiFi, spacious, clean and modern kitchenette and bathroom. Even though there was lots and lots of snow the parking was totally adequate and fully accessible without four wheel drive or chains.

I'm guessing that some of these negaive reviews that you'll see are old, because I honestly didn't see anything that some of these folks were complaining about. And other negative reviews are perhaps from people who have unrealistic expectations from a hotel in this area.

My recommendation is that I would stay there again with no hesitation, I'd have no problem bringing my wife there or recommending this place to family or friends. It's a great deal for the price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
san jose
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

We stayed at the resort this winter so we could ski at northstar ski resort. We arrived a little past 9pm in the evening on Friday night, discovered no one was manning the front office. They had a check in process and we were able to get our keys. Then, we had to drive up a fairly steep hill to get to our cabin. The road is not maintained at this time of the night, so we had some trouble making it through the snow up the hill. Through the process of pushing our car upwards, we lost our key. We called them but were told we needed to look for another hour to make sure we really can't find the keys, before they would send someone out.

So we were extremely displeased with the fact that management is so uncooperative, the road and parking spaces are not maintained and swept from snow.

The rooms are not top notch but they are clean and cozy. We even used the stove to cook some food the second night there. It was snow but it worked.

I'm sure this place is fine during the summer when you won't be freezing outside for an hour before the keys arrive, but I wouldn't come back here for the winter again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
managerTSR, Manager at Tahoe Sands Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
Lake Tahoe is subject to extreme temperatures and snow storms during the months of November-March. This is an alpine mountain environment and there are slopes and valleys throughout the region. It is ideal to have a four wheel drive vehicle or carry snow tire chains for easier navigating.
Tahoe Sands Resort's lobby is open daily from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. However, after hours checkin is a very simple process...all you have to do is call the after hours telephone number to get the code to the outside lock box and retrieve your key. It is unfortuante that these guests lost their key and had to wait an hour for an on call emergency staff member to arrive at the resort to give them another one. The staff members delay getting to the resort was due to the inclement weather and driving conditions (icy, snowy roads getting to the resort) at such a late hour.
Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

We ended up here by default, as everywhere else we wanted to stay was booked. After reading the reviews, we were very nervous about staying here. We are Timesare owners at the Westin Resort villas in Maui, HI and had some extra time that we had to use it before Jan or lose it. We did an exchange and we were offered a 2 bd/2 ba. Upon our arrival, we were offered a cabin or a room on te second floor. We were offered to check them both out and then decide which one we wanted. We opted for the upsatirs, Rm 213, and were very happy. The view was amazing, and true there is no elevator, but if you think about, you only ave to unload once and reload nce at the begining and end of your trip. It was very quiet and had everything we needed. The beds are all new, as was the sofa and carpet. The sandy beach was great for walks, (and a swim in the lake by accident, brrrrr!)
The staff was extremely helpful and eager to please, The hot tub was a nice way to end the evening, as was the sauna room (althoug the sauna could have been a little hotter, it was nice none the less)
We are already planning our return for next year. Granted, its not The Westin, (or even close) but if your looking to just get away to do some relaxing & skiing in a comfy, clean, welcoming place, then this is the place.
We will definately be back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

Unfortunately, I am a time share owner in this place and I am disappointed how this place looks. Every year they increase the dues but they don't do anything to the place. Honestly, we pay over half a million in repairs per year and I don't think they spend over $ 50,000 per year in repairs and maintenance. For the money, there are way better resorts to stay at.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Bay area, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

I read the review before going so I was expect not so great of a place. but I booked late and it was the only option. I was pleased and thought it was really not bad. I stayed in unit 215 it was fairly updated. The location was really good. I loved being next to the Lake. Stayed a week and was very satisfied. The unit was a studio unit next time I will book earlier to get a more roomer unit.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Tahoe Sands Resort? Share your experiences!