“Beautiful view/ Bad customer service” 2 of 5 stars

Tahoe Sands Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6610 North Lake Blvd., Tahoe Vista, CA 96148   |
Ranked #7 of 7 hotels in Tahoe Vista
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful view/ Bad customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I just spent one week at the tahoe sands. The view of the lake and mountains are picture perfect but the bad customer service given by Juan the front desk man and Joanne Bailey the manager was dissappointing. When I called to inquire when full service housekeeping was, I was rushed and given inadequate info. by Joanne. At checkout, Juan gave me much attitude when I checked out at 10am but took a few more minutes to load my belongings into my car. I think retraining in excellent customer service is greatly needed for the staff .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have to admit, I was nervous about this place because of some of the reviews, but decided to go for it anyway (since I like getting a good deal!) We rented a 2 bedroom cottage and traveled with some family friends. All in all 4 Adults and two kids at 2 yrs old. The overall experience was great! The location was spectacular, we stayed in 305 and the view was amazing!
The first positive was when we walked in, the place smelled very clean. The cottage's age is obviously old, but from the carpet to the beds to the dishes, everything was spotless. The furniture & beds were very comfortable as well. And the full kitchen was a huge plus. We didn't even need to buy wine glasses, it was stocked. The place was small, but was actually charming for our group, it was actually good space for hanging, chatting, playing board games and other fun family vacay things! Bathrooms in each of the bedrooms was nice too. I wasn't expecting the Ritz, but I think I did get more than I was expecting.

There were only three real drawbacks to this place, but they wouldn't prevent me from coming back.
1. Wi-fi was poor. Our room was right across from the office, but could only get occasional internets. It would be better if each cottage had a router that provided maximum connection.
2. While it was nice to have two bedrooms, it wasn't nice that we had to walk through one of them to get to the other one. The second bedroom did have a door to the outside, so I could have walked around, but who wants to do that in the snow! But wasn't that big a deal overall.
3. The doors were slightly sticky; this was only an issue when the kids were asleep and we were trying to sneak in the rooms without waking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We've gone to see this place once when we've stayed in the Tahoe area and it seemed to have what we were looking for when bringing our toddler daughter. However, after we booked the place I decided to look at the reviews the night before we were to arrive and was surprised at the not so great reviews. It didn't matter because we were going anyways so we were hoping for the best. We made our reservations over the phone and each time I called the front desk people were helpful.

We arrived a bit early and our room wasn't done yet so we parked the car and headed for the lake at their private beach. Stephen at the front desk gave me a call on my cell when the room was ready so that was nice. We reserved a one bedroom and we were very happy with it! Maybe even more so after reading the crappy reviews, we were pleasantly surprised with the space and how well the kitchen was stocked. Yes, this place has some 70's charm but that's to be expected. You can tell that they've done some nice upgrades so it's not run down like some people have described. Not now anyways.

We booked a 1st floor one bedroom on the lakeside of the property. It was my husband, 2 1/2 year old daughter and myself so the one bedroom was a plenty of room. The bed mattress was thick & comfortable plus they had clean, crisp linens. A TV with DVD in the living space and another TV in the bedroom. I brought some kitchen utensils and such not knowing how well the kitchen was stocked... I didn't have to use any of it because they provide just about everything you'd need to cook & serve meals. We did bring our griddle to make breakfasts but we could've easily made it work with the 2 electric burner stove. I liked that we had a full size refrigerator & small dishwasher. Upon checkout all you have to do is load up the dishwasher with your dirty dishes and start it, so easy.

Our friend along with her 5 yo son met us for one night and they had the studio above us. The kitchen is a bit smaller with no dishwasher and had a small frig. There is a murphy bed in the studio with a couch that pulls out to a bed. When I heard murphy bed I envisioned some busted up rusty thin bed that fell out of the wall... it was much nicer with a thick mattress. The studio did have more of a "cabin" feel but still a good space.

As for the outdoor space this is what will bring us back here again next year. The private beach is just a minute walk from the lanai rooms on the lakeside. They provide plenty of lounger chairs so we'd go out there in the morning and set up. We felt safe leaving out towels & such on the beach when we went inside for our daughter's nap or to have lunch etc. This part of the beach on the lake is great for little ones as you can walk pretty far out and the water is still fairly shallow. This was important for us because our daughter could play in the water and we weren't worried about big drop offs. Next to the beach is a swing set and a slide, nothing fancy but she loved going from the water to the play area. Plus if you bring a bucket of water from the lake and pour down the slide she thought it was the best waterslide. The mountain side has a better playground next to the pool.

Besides the beach they have a horse shoe pit, bocce ball, a volleyball net area, small basketball court and the campfire pit (all on the lakeside of the property). We used the gas grill one night for dinner. Maggie was helpful in getting us a new propane tank and starting the grill. When we weren't swimming in the lake or the pools we had plenty to keep us occupied. One thing about the pools... someone mentioned the hard pebbly concrete at the lakeside pool. I remember that from when we went to look at this place and it was awful. I'm happy to say that it's been removed and it's so much better walking around the pool area barefooted. They still have some of it outside the pool gate but just wear your flip flops.

And if we had to point out of some of the negatives here they are:
- Most bathrooms only have shower stalls. Not a problem for us but our toddler still likes her baths.
- Check in time is 4pm. Kind of on the late side but I'm sure you can still use the facilities if you get there early.
- The large grass area has geese walking around and they poop - a lot! You should wear some shoes when walking on the grass or just watch where you step.
- We didn't have a ceiling fan in our bedroom, only in the living space. It can get a little stuffy so we bought a small fan at Ace hardware.

Again, we were very happy with our stay here and will be returning next year. We are even hoping to invite some friends & their families too as we know they'll enjoy it as well. I'm not trying to say this place is spectacular but we are not a fancy schmancy accommodation kind of family. We want things to work, be clean and comfortable... and we found just that!

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the lake be sure to request the lakeside property. The second floor of t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fair Oaks, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My sister and I booked 2 studio rooms for ourselves and our husbands. She was able to book a room through the hotel's front desk, but when I called I was told they did not have any rooms available. Doing an internet search, I noticed the Booking.com website said there was a studio room at the Tahoe Sands for $139 +tax. so I booked the room. It was the same price my sister was quoted. The studio my sister stayed in was large and roomy (Room 512), but we were given a tiny cramped room (#505) that when the murphy bed came down made it impossible to walk across the room. My sister was only charged $120 for her room at checkout, but we were charged $152.00. When I asked about the discrepancy the front desk clerk said it was because I booked through Booking.com. Now that we have paid for the room and checked out, they are still holding an additional $139 on our credit card 2 days later as a "pending charge"

The matresses were "new" but probably the cheapest they could buy so bed was soft, dipped in the middle, and uncomfortable! No A/C.

The room was clean, but the toilet chain broke and my husband had to reach in the tank to get it to flush properly. We will not be staying there again...I do not like their booking policies! BTW the hotel has a 48 hour cancellation policy, but booking.com will tell you the reservations can not be cancelled, so CALL THE HOTEL to cancel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms 504 and 505 as they are way too small and they charge the same (or even more as...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ukiah, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Apathetic front desk reception and check-out from th pierced lip guy, bland sterile room with crummy furnishings, closed hot tub and pool, general lack of interest, untended grounds...this place is a definite waste of prime real estate. Lots of rules though, if you like rules, with lots of threatened fines, like 375$ for having a pt, or $25 for not washing all your dishes.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
South San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I have stayed here twice and have left happy on both occasions. The front desk staff was helpful. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012 via mobile

Very limited housekeeping service, reception staff was not very helpful at all. Rooms are ok, in the inside, from the outside hotel looks outdated in comparison to other properties in the area.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Tahoe Sands Resort? Share your experiences!