“Great place to relax with kids” 4 of 5 stars

Tahoe Sands Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6610 North Lake Blvd., Tahoe Vista, CA 96148   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Tahoe Vista
San Francisco
“Great place to relax with kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We've gone to see this place once when we've stayed in the Tahoe area and it seemed to have what we were looking for when bringing our toddler daughter. However, after we booked the place I decided to look at the reviews the night before we were to arrive and was surprised at the not so great reviews. It didn't matter because we were going anyways so we were hoping for the best. We made our reservations over the phone and each time I called the front desk people were helpful.

We arrived a bit early and our room wasn't done yet so we parked the car and headed for the lake at their private beach. Stephen at the front desk gave me a call on my cell when the room was ready so that was nice. We reserved a one bedroom and we were very happy with it! Maybe even more so after reading the crappy reviews, we were pleasantly surprised with the space and how well the kitchen was stocked. Yes, this place has some 70's charm but that's to be expected. You can tell that they've done some nice upgrades so it's not run down like some people have described. Not now anyways.

We booked a 1st floor one bedroom on the lakeside of the property. It was my husband, 2 1/2 year old daughter and myself so the one bedroom was a plenty of room. The bed mattress was thick & comfortable plus they had clean, crisp linens. A TV with DVD in the living space and another TV in the bedroom. I brought some kitchen utensils and such not knowing how well the kitchen was stocked... I didn't have to use any of it because they provide just about everything you'd need to cook & serve meals. We did bring our griddle to make breakfasts but we could've easily made it work with the 2 electric burner stove. I liked that we had a full size refrigerator & small dishwasher. Upon checkout all you have to do is load up the dishwasher with your dirty dishes and start it, so easy.

Our friend along with her 5 yo son met us for one night and they had the studio above us. The kitchen is a bit smaller with no dishwasher and had a small frig. There is a murphy bed in the studio with a couch that pulls out to a bed. When I heard murphy bed I envisioned some busted up rusty thin bed that fell out of the wall... it was much nicer with a thick mattress. The studio did have more of a "cabin" feel but still a good space.

As for the outdoor space this is what will bring us back here again next year. The private beach is just a minute walk from the lanai rooms on the lakeside. They provide plenty of lounger chairs so we'd go out there in the morning and set up. We felt safe leaving out towels & such on the beach when we went inside for our daughter's nap or to have lunch etc. This part of the beach on the lake is great for little ones as you can walk pretty far out and the water is still fairly shallow. This was important for us because our daughter could play in the water and we weren't worried about big drop offs. Next to the beach is a swing set and a slide, nothing fancy but she loved going from the water to the play area. Plus if you bring a bucket of water from the lake and pour down the slide she thought it was the best waterslide. The mountain side has a better playground next to the pool.

Besides the beach they have a horse shoe pit, bocce ball, a volleyball net area, small basketball court and the campfire pit (all on the lakeside of the property). We used the gas grill one night for dinner. Maggie was helpful in getting us a new propane tank and starting the grill. When we weren't swimming in the lake or the pools we had plenty to keep us occupied. One thing about the pools... someone mentioned the hard pebbly concrete at the lakeside pool. I remember that from when we went to look at this place and it was awful. I'm happy to say that it's been removed and it's so much better walking around the pool area barefooted. They still have some of it outside the pool gate but just wear your flip flops.

And if we had to point out of some of the negatives here they are:
- Most bathrooms only have shower stalls. Not a problem for us but our toddler still likes her baths.
- Check in time is 4pm. Kind of on the late side but I'm sure you can still use the facilities if you get there early.
- The large grass area has geese walking around and they poop - a lot! You should wear some shoes when walking on the grass or just watch where you step.
- We didn't have a ceiling fan in our bedroom, only in the living space. It can get a little stuffy so we bought a small fan at Ace hardware.

Again, we were very happy with our stay here and will be returning next year. We are even hoping to invite some friends & their families too as we know they'll enjoy it as well. I'm not trying to say this place is spectacular but we are not a fancy schmancy accommodation kind of family. We want things to work, be clean and comfortable... and we found just that!

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the lake be sure to request the lakeside property. The second floor of t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Fair Oaks, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My sister and I booked 2 studio rooms for ourselves and our husbands. She was able to book a room through the hotel's front desk, but when I called I was told they did not have any rooms available. Doing an internet search, I noticed the Booking.com website said there was a studio room at the Tahoe Sands for $139 +tax. so I booked the room. It was the same price my sister was quoted. The studio my sister stayed in was large and roomy (Room 512), but we were given a tiny cramped room (#505) that when the murphy bed came down made it impossible to walk across the room. My sister was only charged $120 for her room at checkout, but we were charged $152.00. When I asked about the discrepancy the front desk clerk said it was because I booked through Booking.com. Now that we have paid for the room and checked out, they are still holding an additional $139 on our credit card 2 days later as a "pending charge"

The matresses were "new" but probably the cheapest they could buy so bed was soft, dipped in the middle, and uncomfortable! No A/C.

The room was clean, but the toilet chain broke and my husband had to reach in the tank to get it to flush properly. We will not be staying there again...I do not like their booking policies! BTW the hotel has a 48 hour cancellation policy, but booking.com will tell you the reservations can not be cancelled, so CALL THE HOTEL to cancel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms 504 and 505 as they are way too small and they charge the same (or even more as...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
South San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I have stayed here twice and have left happy on both occasions. The front desk staff was helpful. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Very limited housekeeping service, reception staff was not very helpful at all. Rooms are ok, in the inside, from the outside hotel looks outdated in comparison to other properties in the area.

• Stayed January 2012
Fontana, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

we booked this "resort" through RCI timeshare in March 2011. I read reviews for this place and some were bad some were good the pictures looked not to bad so decided to go for it, what a mistake that was.There are 2 sides to this "resort" a beach side and a mountain side. We were not aware that the mountain side would be across the main highway that runs around the lake. Our cabin was not ready when we arrived but we were early so we were told to come back in an hour. We decided to drive across the street and look to see where we would be staying. I am not exaggerating when I say the place was 10 feet from the highway and run down. We didn't even wait to see the inside, we went back to the front desk and told them we would not be staying. My husband knew it was not going to be good as soon as we went to the front desk after arriving, the young man that helped us was polite enough but I can't say that anyone behind that desk was very professional.
When we told them we would not be staying their attitude was something like we've heard this before. The only thing they said was ok we'll delete your reservation. we were suppose to stay 7 days instead we drove 4 hours back home. Eight hours on the road there and back and a ruined vacation and not even an "I'm sorry" from the staff. I just don't understand some of the great reviews from some of the people on here, they must be from the owners themselves or friends of theirs.

Room Tip: In my opinion there is nothing good about this place.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
managerTSR, Manager at Tahoe Sands Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
These guests were not at the resort for more than 5 minutes so this seems an impossible amount of time to give it a proper review, especially since they mentioned they had not even seen the inside of the accomodations.
They room was not ready when they arrived becuase they arrived too early for check in. Our check in time is 4 PM.
In defense of RCI...they give a very accurate description of the resort. It is an older mountain lodge, not the Ritz Carlton.
These guests were upset because their room was not located on the lake side of the resort, however all it takes to drive or literally walk across the street to the lakeside. both sides of the resort have a swimming pool and playground as well.
The outside of the building these guests were staying in was going through painting. Unfortuantely, the summer months are the busiest but because of inclimate weather in Lake Tahoe, we have no choice but to try to work around the busiest time of the year for improvements.
I believe that if these guests had even given the resort a chance they would have left with a completely different opinion instead of this incredibly unfair review.
Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Most of the motels/resorts on the North Shore are older and run down. From the street, this place is not flashy but we were pleasantly surprised. The room we stayed in was a one bedroom suite which was great for a family. Everything is close: grocery store, restaurants, sporting good rentals. This was a great central location for a vacation.

Pros: My wife and I both loved the bed, plush top yet firm. After spending two nights at another high end Hotel on the south side with a bed worse then Motel 6, we thought we were in heaven. The employees were friendly and helpful. It's close to Kings Beach which has a great public beach with lots of sports rentals. It's also close to Tahoe City which is the starting point for several bike trails, easy enough for all the family members to enjoy. Tahoe City also is the starting point for river rafting. We had one small maintenance issue with the toilet flushing. We notified the desk that we were going to be away from the room and it was fixed very promptly while we were gone.
They have a daily activity for the kids that you can sign up for at the front desk.

Cons: This place is located right off the main Highway. Our room was the closest you could get to the road, so if you have problems sleeping with noise at night make sure you choose a room further away from the road. This place does not have A/C, which is very common for the hotels on the North side of Tahoe. During August and September this could be a problem for some people who don't do well in the heat. The beach at the hotel was just so, so. It has so much potential they just need to do some renovations ( move the sand that has blown inland back to the water and clean up the debris). The rental prices for the kayaks were very reasonable but the equipment was junk (ours sunk because it had a hole in the bottom). If this place purchased some new Kayaks and Stand Up Paddle boards, and fixed up the beach a little, we wouldn't have made the trip to Kings beach for our day trips.

Room Tip: Great central location for a family vacation
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We came to Tahoe Sands with a bit of trepidation. We have family who are owners there and they were quick to warn us that it wasn't a 5-Star resort . In fact, "run down" was mentioned more than once. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. Our one bedroom cottage had fresh paint, updated furnishings, and a newly cleaned carpet. It didn't take long for the first problem to crop up though. I tried to call the front desk with a question and the connection was so full of static, a conversation was impossible. The desk clerk called back and told me to use my cell. I tried, but since they'd given us a room across the street and nestled next to the mountain, I had spotty cell service. I had to cross the street and pass the office to get a decent signal. I reported the phone issue in person 3 times, once a day for the first three days of our visit. My husband reported it twice more. Each time I was assured that they knew about it, and someone from maintenance would be there "tomorrow." Someone did show up on the fourth day - to ask if the blinds were working. I mentioned the phone and he assured me it would be fixed before I left at the end of the week. It wasn't. In fact, I never saw him again. The facilities show some wear and tear. The pool deck is impossible to walk on comfortably due to the flaking pebbles in the PebbleTec. The staff projects an air of trying hard, but fall just short of giving great service. The family I mentioned above has said that the place had gone downhill since they started staying there, but in the last couple of years, it has improved. I could see the efforts. They have a bit farther to go.

Room Tip: Fresh paint. Clean. Attractive furnishings.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Mourelatos Lakeshore Resort
Mourelatos Lakeshore Resort
#3 of 7 in Tahoe Vista
4.5 of 5 stars 127 reviews

Been to Tahoe Sands Resort? Share your experiences!