“Expect to clean up after yourself.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Tahoe Sands Resort to your Saves list
Tahoe Sands Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6610 North Lake Blvd., Tahoe Vista, CA 96148   |
Ranked #7 of 7 hotels in Tahoe Vista
“Expect to clean up after yourself.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012 via mobile

Very limited housekeeping service, reception staff was not very helpful at all. Rooms are ok, in the inside, from the outside hotel looks outdated in comparison to other properties in the area.

• Stayed January 2012

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Fontana, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

we booked this "resort" through RCI timeshare in March 2011. I read reviews for this place and some were bad some were good the pictures looked not to bad so decided to go for it, what a mistake that was.There are 2 sides to this "resort" a beach side and a mountain side. We were not aware that the mountain side would be across the main highway that runs around the lake. Our cabin was not ready when we arrived but we were early so we were told to come back in an hour. We decided to drive across the street and look to see where we would be staying. I am not exaggerating when I say the place was 10 feet from the highway and run down. We didn't even wait to see the inside, we went back to the front desk and told them we would not be staying. My husband knew it was not going to be good as soon as we went to the front desk after arriving, the young man that helped us was polite enough but I can't say that anyone behind that desk was very professional.
When we told them we would not be staying their attitude was something like we've heard this before. The only thing they said was ok we'll delete your reservation. we were suppose to stay 7 days instead we drove 4 hours back home. Eight hours on the road there and back and a ruined vacation and not even an "I'm sorry" from the staff. I just don't understand some of the great reviews from some of the people on here, they must be from the owners themselves or friends of theirs.

Room Tip: In my opinion there is nothing good about this place.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
managerTSR, Manager at Tahoe Sands Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
These guests were not at the resort for more than 5 minutes so this seems an impossible amount of time to give it a proper review, especially since they mentioned they had not even seen the inside of the accomodations.
They room was not ready when they arrived becuase they arrived too early for check in. Our check in time is 4 PM.
In defense of RCI...they give a very accurate description of the resort. It is an older mountain lodge, not the Ritz Carlton.
These guests were upset because their room was not located on the lake side of the resort, however all it takes to drive or literally walk across the street to the lakeside. both sides of the resort have a swimming pool and playground as well.
The outside of the building these guests were staying in was going through painting. Unfortuantely, the summer months are the busiest but because of inclimate weather in Lake Tahoe, we have no choice but to try to work around the busiest time of the year for improvements.
I believe that if these guests had even given the resort a chance they would have left with a completely different opinion instead of this incredibly unfair review.
Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Most of the motels/resorts on the North Shore are older and run down. From the street, this place is not flashy but we were pleasantly surprised. The room we stayed in was a one bedroom suite which was great for a family. Everything is close: grocery store, restaurants, sporting good rentals. This was a great central location for a vacation.

Pros: My wife and I both loved the bed, plush top yet firm. After spending two nights at another high end Hotel on the south side with a bed worse then Motel 6, we thought we were in heaven. The employees were friendly and helpful. It's close to Kings Beach which has a great public beach with lots of sports rentals. It's also close to Tahoe City which is the starting point for several bike trails, easy enough for all the family members to enjoy. Tahoe City also is the starting point for river rafting. We had one small maintenance issue with the toilet flushing. We notified the desk that we were going to be away from the room and it was fixed very promptly while we were gone.
They have a daily activity for the kids that you can sign up for at the front desk.

Cons: This place is located right off the main Highway. Our room was the closest you could get to the road, so if you have problems sleeping with noise at night make sure you choose a room further away from the road. This place does not have A/C, which is very common for the hotels on the North side of Tahoe. During August and September this could be a problem for some people who don't do well in the heat. The beach at the hotel was just so, so. It has so much potential they just need to do some renovations ( move the sand that has blown inland back to the water and clean up the debris). The rental prices for the kayaks were very reasonable but the equipment was junk (ours sunk because it had a hole in the bottom). If this place purchased some new Kayaks and Stand Up Paddle boards, and fixed up the beach a little, we wouldn't have made the trip to Kings beach for our day trips.

Room Tip: Great central location for a family vacation
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We came to Tahoe Sands with a bit of trepidation. We have family who are owners there and they were quick to warn us that it wasn't a 5-Star resort . In fact, "run down" was mentioned more than once. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. Our one bedroom cottage had fresh paint, updated furnishings, and a newly cleaned carpet. It didn't take long for the first problem to crop up though. I tried to call the front desk with a question and the connection was so full of static, a conversation was impossible. The desk clerk called back and told me to use my cell. I tried, but since they'd given us a room across the street and nestled next to the mountain, I had spotty cell service. I had to cross the street and pass the office to get a decent signal. I reported the phone issue in person 3 times, once a day for the first three days of our visit. My husband reported it twice more. Each time I was assured that they knew about it, and someone from maintenance would be there "tomorrow." Someone did show up on the fourth day - to ask if the blinds were working. I mentioned the phone and he assured me it would be fixed before I left at the end of the week. It wasn't. In fact, I never saw him again. The facilities show some wear and tear. The pool deck is impossible to walk on comfortably due to the flaking pebbles in the PebbleTec. The staff projects an air of trying hard, but fall just short of giving great service. The family I mentioned above has said that the place had gone downhill since they started staying there, but in the last couple of years, it has improved. I could see the efforts. They have a bit farther to go.

Room Tip: Fresh paint. Clean. Attractive furnishings.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

We just stayed here with some friends in a lakeside 2bed/2bath room with a pullout sofa. From looking at the pictures, we were expecting something kind of old and outdated, but we were thrilled when we arrived and the room was completely refurbished! It looked like new! The beds were relatively new and comfortable, with the exception of the pullout sofa... The pullout sofa was new, but the mattress springs were uncomfortable. The kitchen was a wonderful convenience and the local Safeway got a lot of business from us. The only problem with the kitchen was the refrigerator. Unbeknown to us, it was set to the coldest setting when we got there and it froze all of our food (hence the reason we had to go to Safeway to replace a lot of the food we bought!!).
The resort is in an excellent location right on the lake and close to skiing. My only complaints would be the inconvenience of having a front desk that's only open 9am-9pm and the somewhat "extreme" check-in (4pm) and check-out (10am) times.
We were having some issues with the website we were trying to book the resort through, so I called the resort directly and asked them to beat the price of the website I was looking at. I booked it over the phone for a great deal, and I would highly recommend that everyone give the resort a call to book! That will also give you an opportunity to make sure you're in a refurbished room (I'm not sure if they've redone all of them yet). We would stay again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Vacaville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

These rooms are actually small apartments. The one bedroom is quite spacious with a large bathroom, full kitchen, pull out sofa, nice bedroom, recently replaced mattress and very nice feather comforter. Our friends rented the two bedroom with the same amenities, bathroom was much smaller, living room had a gas pot belly stove. Nice quiet place to stay, we really enjoyed and would definitely go back again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Like some of the other reviews that you'll read on this site, I was also wary about booking a room here due to some of the negative reviews, but it was for New Year's Eve and there weren't many choices in my price range.

Let me first say that I am a very experienced business traveler, with probably close to a thousand hotel stays over the last 20 years, usually in three or four star hotels. I will not stay in a backpacker hotel or even a two star hotel if I can help it, but on the other hand I do not demand evey little upscale luxury and service that you'd expect at a five star hotel. Basically I look for comfort, quiet, cleanliness, safety, and the feeling of basic quality.

I was very happy at Tahoe Sands. Really comfy Queen sized bed, great heating, flat screen TV, free fast WiFi, spacious, clean and modern kitchenette and bathroom. Even though there was lots and lots of snow the parking was totally adequate and fully accessible without four wheel drive or chains.

I'm guessing that some of these negaive reviews that you'll see are old, because I honestly didn't see anything that some of these folks were complaining about. And other negative reviews are perhaps from people who have unrealistic expectations from a hotel in this area.

My recommendation is that I would stay there again with no hesitation, I'd have no problem bringing my wife there or recommending this place to family or friends. It's a great deal for the price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Tahoe Sands Resort? Share your experiences!