“Terrible service and mediocre Food” 1 of 5 stars

3051 Harrison Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA (Not Tahoe City), Tahoe City, CA 96150
(530) 541-5421
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Davis, California
“Terrible service and mediocre Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We ate at Matzalan Grill 5 years ago and loved it. I wrote a glowing review. We convinced my brother and his wife to join us there this week and had a terrible experience. I can no longer recommend this place. What a shame.

We arrived at approximately 6:00 PM on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was not very busy at all. We were quickly seated near the fire and provided chips and salsa. That is really where the good ends. We ordered a pitcher of margaritas, which took at least ten minutes to arrive. There was clearly barely any alcohol in the pitcher. We said nothing and made the best of it. Next we waited 40 minutes to have our order taken. Yes 40 minutes. We asked a waitress if she could take our order, and she rudely told us that she was not our waitress.

Finally our waitress came and took our order. We were happy that we got some attention. She offered another basket of chips and delivered them quickly. I had to ask for more salsa though. She walked away and did not return for a long time. My brother finally asked another waitress to check on our food after another 30 minutes, and we were told that our waitress would have to check. My sister in-law told her we had been waiting over an hour. The waitress replied, "It always takes this long on a Saturday night!" We were shocked by her rude response.

We considered leaving but had waited this long. A short time later our food arrived. My sister in- law enjoyed her meal, but the other meals were over cooked and not good at all. The only thing our waitress was attentive to, was presenting our nearly $80 bill. We certainly did not have a $80 meal. We paid our bill and left.

We will never eat bat the Mazatlan Grill again. This food and the service at this place has significantly dropped since we last ate there. I recommend you eat elsewhere.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

South Lake Tahoe, California, United States
“Beans are the BEST!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Yes, they are the authentic as you can get!! My friend who's Mexican said "it's just like my mother's bean at home"!!
I am addicted to the Beans and Salsa and love the food. I eat at home, so I get it all to go.
Extra for my eggs in the morning too. It's a good thing that they aren't open for lunch as I would
be a little piggy...I work next door at Pinnacle Real Estate Group of Tahoe!
Diane

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bismarck, North Dakota
“Great food, great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

The food was excellent, with large portions. Love the chips and salsa! The host and servers were friendly and provided great service.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ceres, California
“Mexican yes, authentic, I don't think so...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Did a search for Mexican food in South Lake Tahoe and came across this place by chance, was looking for Taqueria Jalisco but they were closed for the holidays. This place is one block over and I would say that it was a little gem to find. There is no such thing as authentic Mexican food in Tahoe, it is americanized and toned down quite a bit than what I am normally used to. My wife had two Chile Rellenos ala carte, I had two Chicken Enchiladas in Mole sauce. Food was good, not great but is the some of the best that I've had in the Tahoe, Reno area.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Cruz, California
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

Oh My, I think I finally found my favorite restaurant.The food was really good, I ordered a burrito, and picked from my fiances fajitas. The atmosphere was really nice, & warming, I went on a busy day so the service wasn't the greatest, but i wasn't in hurry so I didn't mind.
The only negative was that the food was pretty pricey & they don't have a full bar.
None the less the drinks were great, the food was delicious, & servers were nice!
I always come here when I'm in the area & i recommend it to my friends & family here in Santa Cruz. it's my new favorite place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere