“Adyashanti's Silent Retreat at Granlibakken in May 2013” 4 of 5 stars

Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   725 Granlibakken Rd., Tahoe City, CA 96145   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Tahoe City
Sandkrug near Bremen
“Adyashanti's Silent Retreat at Granlibakken in May 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is the perfect location for such an event. Beautiful surroundings, very good food and people who really care for this large group (250 people) in the exact right way...Thank you very much. Only the room service was a bit poor and random..they will improve I guess...;-)

Room Tip: try to avoid rooms heading to the pöarking lot in front of the registration - thats the busiest plac...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hotel M, Manager at Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and that you enjoyed your silent retreat so much. We hope that you'll join us again , and we look forward to hosting your group again next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I recently spent a week here for a silent retreat. I had a cozy single room equipped with all the conveniences and amenities one could expect. The room was simple and basic but most comfortable. I especially loved the ceiling bathroom heater which I don't think I've ever seen before but it made taking a bath most exquisite.

The grounds and hiking trails here are gorgeous and the overall vibe is just fantastic.

And lastly, huge kudos their chef and kitchen staff. We ate 3 buffet-style meals a day and the food was just exquisite. Far beyond my expectations. I've done many other retreats and none even come close to the quality, selection, and absolute deliciousness of their food! 5 stars!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hotel M, Manager at Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay, and that we were able to make you comfortable during your retreat. We hope that you'll join us again for another retreat or just a visit! We look forward to your return, and hope to see you soon!
meadow vista
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Granlibakken Resort for a silent retreat with Adyashanti. The retreat was incredible.I stayed in a single room which was very comfortable.
The food was AMAZING and the staff was so kind and courteous.
The setting is beautiful.
I would highly recommend this resort.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for an incredible review! We are extremely thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We are happy that you were so comfortable during your retreat. Lake Tahoe is certainly a gorgeous place to "getaway" to! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The rooms were great- the staff was responsive and thoughtful. When I arrived I had been traveling since very early morning and had had nothing to eat all day. I expected a restaurant on premises- without checking it out ahead of time- and was told there was none. But they rallied and brought me some food and a bottle of water at no charge. I tried to tip them but they refused. They were so kind, I think they could tell I was tired and things could get much worse if I didn't eat soon :)
Crispina was attentive & responsive. And even though I showed up before the catered breakfast so I could have some coffee and read, they made sure I felt as if this was just a matter of course and assured me I was not in her way.
Julio changed plans to suit our changing plans for meals and came off like a champ! The food was incredible- suited everyone- gluten free- vegan-vegetarian- carnivore- every one was happy.

Thank you all !!
Next time- could you make it so not everything was "up"? Up to the room, up the stairs, up the side of the mountain :)

Room Tip: It is quiet there... everywhere.... At that altitude though, if you are not used to it or don't...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for a fantastic review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Julio will definitely be recognized for his efforts in assisting you. We hope that you'll continue to join us whenever you visit the area. We look forward to your return to the Granlibakken Resort!
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The facilities themselves were in good shape and castle like and had one feeling at home the moment you arrived. I stayed in a student dorm and found that the cleanliness and comfort level was better then that of the average hostel, closer to a comfortable hotel. Attending the silent retreat I was really touched by the participation of the staff on maintaining the silence, they were still very friendly and really helped make our retreat possible. The food provided at Granlibakken was both delicious and plentiful. I deeply recommend Granlibakken Resort for anyone interested in hosting a conference or looking to have a retreat.

-A

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of our amenities, and that we were able to accomodate the unique needs of your group. We hope that you'll join us again whenever you visit Lake Tahoe, and we look forward to your return!
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I tried to a save a little money by getting a dorm room for a 5 night silent retreat. I paid dearly the year before and it was like staying in a fairly up-scale hotel room. The dorms however were depressing. Single beds. One dresser for 8 beds. In a basement that felt cold and dark. Poor air circulation and no amenities. (Someone told me they requested a frig and some other stuff later). I opted to up grade to the lower-end, ground floor room called Room F of the Pavillion rooms. There was a recently constructed and stained bunk bed and a queen size bed in the room I was assigned. The wood that had been stained still smelled quite toxic. The windows were nailed shut so I couldn't get any ventilation. They offered to bring me an air freshener. Then the faucet spit out black gunk and leaked. They fixed it. Then the door handle on the bathroom broke so I was locked out with my glasses in there. They fixed it. My last day there, the bathroom smelled like sewage which had come in from the ceiling. Later I heard a pipe had broke. They gave me another room to take a shower and it was a room that guests had already been in and left. I felt kind of weird using their old towels etc. but I was in a hurry! The manager said "I wish I would have know about all this three days ago, I would have upgraded you". I told her that I let staff know with each incident. I think I just had a "off" experience but the food and the rest of the place were very good. I still gave it 4 stars! Just don't go on the cheap unless you are really used to "roughing it". Also last year I left a $100 Tempurpedic pillow in the room and called the next day to get it back. It was gone and I knew my roommate didn't take it. hmmmm.

Room Tip: Not room F of the Pavillion rooms and not the dorms in the basement! The other Pavillion rooms look...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hotel M, Manager at Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize if we were unable to live up to your expectations. We can assure you that this is not the norm, and we are looking into all of the issues you mentioned in your review. We hope that you'll give us another chance to make up for your previous experience. We look forward to the opportunity to earn a full 5 stars from you next time, and we hope to see you soon!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I attended a 250-300 person conference and stayed in a student dorm room which was sparse to say the least, with no hooks or racks to put belongings much less a dresser. You get what you pay for. But the rest of the experience of the resort: the staff and the food were excellent. The landscaping was appealing. The staff took very, very good care of our needs, the food was the best I have ever had at a conference. I would certainly go again but would pay for better housing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We apologize if there were any short comings during your stay, and we will certainly address them with our team. We hope that you'll join us again so we may show your our world-class-guest-service! We look forward to your return!

Been to Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!