“Like a dream come true.” 4 of 5 stars

Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   725 Granlibakken Rd., Tahoe City, CA 96145   |
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Tahoe City
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Like a dream come true.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The facilities themselves were in good shape and castle like and had one feeling at home the moment you arrived. I stayed in a student dorm and found that the cleanliness and comfort level was better then that of the average hostel, closer to a comfortable hotel. Attending the silent retreat I was really touched by the participation of the staff on maintaining the silence, they were still very friendly and really helped make our retreat possible. The food provided at Granlibakken was both delicious and plentiful. I deeply recommend Granlibakken Resort for anyone interested in hosting a conference or looking to have a retreat.

-A

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hotel M, Manager at Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of our amenities, and that we were able to accomodate the unique needs of your group. We hope that you'll join us again whenever you visit Lake Tahoe, and we look forward to your return!

261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I tried to a save a little money by getting a dorm room for a 5 night silent retreat. I paid dearly the year before and it was like staying in a fairly up-scale hotel room. The dorms however were depressing. Single beds. One dresser for 8 beds. In a basement that felt cold and dark. Poor air circulation and no amenities. (Someone told me they requested a frig and some other stuff later). I opted to up grade to the lower-end, ground floor room called Room F of the Pavillion rooms. There was a recently constructed and stained bunk bed and a queen size bed in the room I was assigned. The wood that had been stained still smelled quite toxic. The windows were nailed shut so I couldn't get any ventilation. They offered to bring me an air freshener. Then the faucet spit out black gunk and leaked. They fixed it. Then the door handle on the bathroom broke so I was locked out with my glasses in there. They fixed it. My last day there, the bathroom smelled like sewage which had come in from the ceiling. Later I heard a pipe had broke. They gave me another room to take a shower and it was a room that guests had already been in and left. I felt kind of weird using their old towels etc. but I was in a hurry! The manager said "I wish I would have know about all this three days ago, I would have upgraded you". I told her that I let staff know with each incident. I think I just had a "off" experience but the food and the rest of the place were very good. I still gave it 4 stars! Just don't go on the cheap unless you are really used to "roughing it". Also last year I left a $100 Tempurpedic pillow in the room and called the next day to get it back. It was gone and I knew my roommate didn't take it. hmmmm.

Room Tip: Not room F of the Pavillion rooms and not the dorms in the basement! The other Pavillion rooms look...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hotel M, Manager at Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize if we were unable to live up to your expectations. We can assure you that this is not the norm, and we are looking into all of the issues you mentioned in your review. We hope that you'll give us another chance to make up for your previous experience. We look forward to the opportunity to earn a full 5 stars from you next time, and we hope to see you soon!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I attended a 250-300 person conference and stayed in a student dorm room which was sparse to say the least, with no hooks or racks to put belongings much less a dresser. You get what you pay for. But the rest of the experience of the resort: the staff and the food were excellent. The landscaping was appealing. The staff took very, very good care of our needs, the food was the best I have ever had at a conference. I would certainly go again but would pay for better housing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We apologize if there were any short comings during your stay, and we will certainly address them with our team. We hope that you'll join us again so we may show your our world-class-guest-service! We look forward to your return!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed for a week and found the staff friendly, the environment beautiful, the room clean and even the food to be perfect!! My complements to the chef!
If you are looking for a quiet retreat from your busy lives: I would recommend the Granlibakken Resort to all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hotel M, Manager at Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate your comments and feedback. We will certainly pass your compliments on to the Chef and Culinary Team! We hope that you'll join us again, and we look forward to seeing you soon!
SARASOTA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

As part of a group that used this facility for silent meditation practice I can unequivocally state that the result was wonderful. This facility was able to serve our unique requirements and they did so with grace. Special thanks to Max for finding my forgotten items and mailing them back to me.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hotel M, Manager at Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for an excellent review! We are elated to hear how much you and your group enjoyed your stay. We will surely recognize Max for his efforts in assisting you! We hope that you'll continue to choose us for future meetings and events, and we look forward to your return!
Fort Wayne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I and my two sons stayed at Granlibakken Resort over Spring Break. We had a great time and enjoyed our time at Granlibakken. The breakfast buffet was awesome, the rooms were large and comfortable, the pool and hot tub were great to relax in after a day on the slopes.

Most of all, the Granlibakken team were very friendly and welcoming. We arrived late and one of the owners helped us take our luggage to our rooms!!

We look forward to returning and enthusiastically recommend Granlibakken to you and yours!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hotel M, Manager at Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for an excellent review! We are elated to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your time at the Granlibakken. Thank you for the compliments on the breakfast buffet, we think its quite spectacular as well! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and thank you for your continued loyalty. We look forward to your return!
Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Tahoe region is a lovely place and for a conference or a family vacation in ski country, this place is excellent. The staff were exceptional in their helpfulness and politeness. The food in the dining hall was very good. And the location is excellent. It isn't right on the slopes of the major areas, so if you want to ski out the door of your condo, this is not the place. But if you are willing to drive 20 minutes to get to Squaw or Alpine, you will find this a good value. There are some skis to rent in their shop, and the staff there are very helpful. It doesn't feel like a hotel; it is friendlier.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback, and we hope that you'll join us again soon. We look forward to your return!

Been to Granlibakken Lodge and Conference Center? Share your experiences!