“Pet Owners Beware!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mother Nature's Inn

Mother Nature's Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tahoe City
Mother Nature's Inn
You added Mother Nature's Inn to your Saves list
551 North Lake Blvd., Tahoe City, CA 96145   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tahoe City
San Francisco, California
“Pet Owners Beware!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My husband and I and our dogs recently stayed at the Mother Nature Inn. The rooms are fine for the price, but be warned that room # 5 has an adjoining door to the room next door, so you can hear EVERYTHING that is above a whisper. We chose this hotel because we could have our dogs there. I was surprised that their pet policy has rules that you do not get to see until you have already paid for and checked into the room. Pets are only allowed in the room when you are, and if you go out (even just next door) for dinner you are to put your dog in your car. Also they state that if your dog is disruptive to other guests that you will be paying for their night's stay in addition to your own. Hmmm I wonder the couple with the crying baby that was in the room next to us will graciously pay for our room. To make matters even worse, Mother Nature's Inn took the liberty to charge a $40 fee to my credit card after our stay for a cleaning fee. I was never advised that this was going to be charged to my card, they just sent me a receipt in the mail. Even though I never authorized this charge. They should have contacted me before using my credit card. Pet owners be aware of the entire policy before your stay. This is not anywhere on their website. Proximity to the lake is good, and just a few minutes from Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows. The heater in the room is either way to hot, or too cold. I could never get it to just a comfortable temp. We brought our own WiFi card thankfully, cause we could never get the wireless signal for the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This place is in a great location (walkable to so much) and is cheap for a clean, nice sized room. However, there is no inn keeper at the Mother Nature Inn. It's more like a set of rooms behind a store and you are much on your own.

We arrived around 9 pm and had been given the wrong room (a single bed instead of two double beds). When I knocked at the door of the onsite manager (who lives there), the greeting made me feel like I was disturbing someone at their house. That feeling continued when the door was only slightly cracked open to talk to me. During the day, the staff in the store (which is part of the inn) was too busy with retail customers to really stop and talk to me when I came through.

The other big issue (made more difficult because of the above) was that there was no internet for rooms 3, 4, 5, 9, and 10 (when I made the reservation, I was told twice that internet was available in all the rooms). No one on site new what a wireless router was or where to find the password to the network that covered the rooms on the far end of the inn. At one point we were instructed that "this is the mountains and we don't always have internet." That may be true, but it had nothing to do with not having the password to your own network. We were told that we could sit in the unheated hallway during the night to use the internet (the router must have been in the store, which is on the other end of the inn). We were also told that maybe we shouldn't be doing work while on vacation. Thanks, that's nice, but I like to read the paper, check on my kids, make dinner reservations, and post trip pictures while I'm on vacation.

So, in summary, this is a fine, clean place to stay, but don't count on internet access and be okay feeling like there is no host to greet you.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Nicely positioned clean hotel with good amenities in room. Room was very clean and bed was comfortable. Our stay would have been more enjoyable except for the morons above us who proceeded to drag furniture around at all hours. Can't blame the management for that though. All in all a though good place to stay. Pet friendly

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

This is the second time I have stayed at Mother Nature's Inn with my husband. We were here last December as well (snow, and more snow then). We have found the rooms, beds, ammenities, location and overall experience very nice. This Inn by far has the cutest rooms around, all with refrigerators and coffee makers, it's really hard to beat. It is not a 5 star hotel, but we didn't pay that 5 star price or expect it to be one. It was extremely clean and well cared for. I love the fact that you really never need to get into your car once you're there. You can walk across the street to the beach and anywhere else you may want to go, We love this little place, and hope it will remain as quaint, quiet and charming as it is now. We can't wait to for our next visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I'm writing this right now from room 8 of Mother Nature's Inn, because I couldn't wait to share about this little gem. If you've read all the other reviews, you know by now that it's a small two-story inn behind a crafts shop, and decorated right out of its inventory. There are wild-vine wreaths on the walls of my room, and a big ancient clock with roman numerals, and a small wooden canoe holding my soap and shampoo.

Nothing about this place is fancy, but the owner put her soul into it and it shows. It's immediately across the street from a public beach on the lake, and within a few-minute walk of most of the vicinity's food and drink. The inn is pet-friendly, but the pets stay in certain rooms; I did not bring a pet, (though I enjoyed sharing the company of the Australian Shepherd who is staying in a downstairs room right now), and my room smells immaculately clean.. The rooms have refrigerators, and there is a microwave to share down the hall. The beds are among the best I've experienced in a hotel, and they are sold at the store.

I have nothing bad to say about this place. To the person who complained that their car got dinged by a passing drive from the nearby golf course, they've now got a net protecting the parking lot from stray tee shots. This is the most beautiful way I could imagine to see a beautiful area, where you don't leave Tahoe just because you come inside, and you aren't stuck with a cookie-cutter room or cookie-cutter service. All at about half the price of the other area hotels I've seen advertised. We' love it so much weve decided to stay an extra day.

Room Tip: If you need a ground floor room let them know, stairs are the only way to the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Positives: Quaint decor.
Negatives: The upkeep is poor. The bathroom had a broken glass shower door on which I cut my foot. The charming decor has a thick build up of dust..There is also a noisy arcade right next door. This not only created noise all night, but also flashing lights that beamed into my room. There is also a baseball diamond behind the inn where youth groups played games well into the evening. To add insult to injury, the supposed 'manager' kept forgetting that I was a guest and interrogated me every time she saw me on the premises.

I don't usually write reviews, but I think you should know what your getting into by staying here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Had a great stay at Mother Nature's Inn. Quaint rooms in a great location in the heart of Tahoe City. You can walk to everything in town. Staff is very nice too.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mother Nature's Inn? Share your experiences!