“Great Service, Great Food! Can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Wolfdale's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 54 Restaurants in Tahoe City
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Grove St.
Santa Cruz, CA
“Great Service, Great Food! Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I have wondered about Wolfdale's for the past seven years but never quite got around to entering the restaurant until last Wednesday night. The exterior is unassuming and we both thought the restaurant would be a staid, dark place that my 80 year old parents might have loved. We were wrong!

We arrived without reservations on a slow weeknight at happy hour. The dining room was empty and the bar was small and cozy. We sat down in the bar area and were quickly and efficiently attended to by BP, the bartender. BP is a friendly, socially gifted, warm person who smoothly made us feel both welcome and as though we were regulars. After a long day, it was extremely pleasant to instantly feel so comfortable in this lovely restaurant.

My husband and I decided to share dishes. We started with a cheese platter, a green salad and a seafood bisque with our glasses of zinfandel. Before our Filet Mignon arrived, we were thinking of a red wine more appropriate for the steak. As we asked BP about red wines, he mentioned two suggestions and then brought them out so we could taste them and decide which to order. This was a lovely and unexpected touch! There may have been other people in the restaurant but it didn't feel that way. BP took such great care of us in such an effortless way that we felt spoiled without being smothered. Before his shift ended, BP introduced us to Linda who seamlessly took BP's place. We finished our meal with an order of white chocolate creme brulee - incredible!

The meal was pricey but the entire experience was so worth it.

In the summer, there is outside seating with a spectacular view of Lake Tahoe. We are looking forward to going back in the summer.

We'll be back and not soon enough! And by the way, my parents would love it too!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

86% Recommend
“Elegant Asian accented American cuisine in the High Sierra”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

In the upper price range: $39 top entree for filet mignon but only $4 for an appetizer of marinated beets sprinkled with sesame. Wine glass: $9-14. Between appetizer and entree they serve a small cup of warm wonton soup -- nice touch.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ormond Beach, Florida
“EXCELLENT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The service and atmosphere were great, and the food was fantastic! We highly recommend this restaurant. It was the best experience in the area.

• Visited February 2013
Kansas
“Great Dinner at beautiful Lake Tahoe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Loved our dinner at Wolfdale's on our trip in Feb. Beautiful art covered wall in an elegantly casual setting. Excellent fresh fish choices and wonderful starters. Loved the Poke cones and the Petrale sole! A spot locals love. I can see why....

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“I celebrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The fact that I found my money clip. That would be the one I thought I lost while away from home.

I very much enjoyed my meal here. I took the hostesses recommendations and had the Asian salad and the seafood stew. The salad was fine, greens with a light Asian dressing. It was good but not extraordinary and, frankly, overpriced. The seafood stew was really good ($30)! I ate every bite and very much enjoyed it. They had a vanilla crème brûlée listed as a dessert. No brainer. Really really tasty. This was a good meal at a nice restaurant with very good service. I'd happily dine here again.