“City Slickers” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Horseback Riding Stables, Tours
Activities: Skiing, Horseback riding
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Intermediate and advanced skiers and riders will most enjoy this resort, known for its especially long season.
Sunnyvale, California
11 attraction reviews
“City Slickers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

A nice change of pace if you are in the Truckee/Tahoe City area and are looking for something to do. I'm not a big hiker, but I do enjoy nice scenery. Not having to walk and still getting to enjoy nature is a bonus in my book. Our family of four took the one hour ride, but I think we could have handled two. The ride is very slow and the horses are used to the trail. Our guide, Matt, was great at talking with the kids on all kinds of subjects, not just horses. If you are a big rider, this quiet pace may not be enough for you. I'd suggest the private rides they have available, but for the average person it is just right. We rode after a rain storm so there was no dust, but I suggest a bandana on a clear day. Very reasonably priced as well (including tip). Also note this is check or cash only activity.

Visited July 2012

California
“Spring/Summer skiing at a price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Been skiing here for years with my family, but this will probably be the last. This is a great ski area and there was lots of snow on April 21st for Spring/Summer skiing(94 degrees in parts of Sacramento), but it's getting too expensive. Ticket prices went way up this last year since the merger with Squaw Valley and there's nothing new to justify the added expense. From the S.F. bay area, I can cut my drive time, ticket costs, and food/drink costs significantly by going to Sugar Bowl or any number of other closer resorts.

Visited April 2012
Curacao
14 attraction reviews
“small mountain. Diverse terrain.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

worth spending a day exploring . less crowded , and more locals.

Birmingham, AL
33 attraction reviews
“Nice but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I really like this ski area, it has a variety of runs of all types and for all skill levels. Excellent bowls. I like the fact that it is kind of quiet and not as flashy as Squaw. However, now that Squaw and Alpine have merged, the price at Alpine has also increased dramatically, by at least 50%, even though they haven't added any new facilities.

Visited March 2012
San Jose, California
8 attraction reviews
“Not so good for snowboarders”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We spent two days here with our season pass at Squaw.

Alpine is a good sized mountain with great lakeviews (at their summit lift). It is a pretty good mountain for skiiers. But the terrain is not that good for snowboarders.

Three of their lifts are located on a steep uphill, so if you ended up at the wrong spot, and wanted to go to one of those lifts, then it is eaiser to unbind both boots than trying to struggle uphill to get to the lifts.

They also have a very long stretch of flat area that a number of trails merge into. It is not that easy to power through here, because it is a high traffic merge area, so you are forced to slow down.

We tried to avoid this flat area after our first run, but we didn't know this mountain very well, and because many trails end here, we accidentlly ended up here 3 times that day. Every time, I had to unbind completely to help push and tow one or both of my kids out of this area. And if you want to avoid this flat area, you choice of trails can be rather limiting.

This resort had a lot more skiiers during our visits, and they were not all that friendly to snowboarders there.