“Wonderful Memories made @ Sunnyside!” 5 of 5 stars

Sunnyside Restaurant and Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 W. Lake Blvd., Tahoe City, CA 96145   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tahoe City
Winnemucca, Nevada
“Wonderful Memories made @ Sunnyside!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Sunnyside is a wonderful place to stay for a night or two. We enjoyed the wonderful food, and beautiful surroundings of Lake Tahoe. I loved staying at Sunnyside and would recommend it to anyone who loves the rustic feel of the outdoors, and romance of the lake.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Los Altos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The problem started when we arrived and found that the "suite" that we booked for $320/night was actually a room smaller that their regular double rooms and overlooked a boat ramp that had a noisy forklift loading and unloading boats. We changed to a regular double room and the hotel refused to lower the price. The double room did face the lake, which was beautiful, but was right over the restaurant and bar, which was very noisy and crowded. There is no air conditioning and the lake view rooms face the east and get extremely hot. We ate at the restaurant and found the food to be pretentious, average, and way overpriced! So if you are looking for a peaceful experence on the lake, this is definately not your hotel. We moved the next day to Granlibakken down the street and in the mountains for less that half the price of our way overpriced room and had a wonderful stay. Wish we had started at Granlibakken and not wasted our time.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Throw out the 10 best reviews and the 10 worst reviews and you've got yourself a pretty darn good place to stay.. The food was good but a bit overpriced as you would expect. Spend some time on the deck outside with a cold one and enjoy the beauty. A pool would be a great addition, but the lack of room prohibits it. Friendly and very helpful staff. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Stayed in rm 35, no a/c but fans were enough to keep us comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cuba, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I came to Lake Tahoe for our son's wedding and chose Sunnyside for our four day stay. Everything at Sunnyside was wonderful! The staff was friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast was excellent with one hot egg casserole each morning and many assorted pastries and cereals. The restaurant served excellent food both inside and outside on the deck. All of the staff that we had contact with were both pleasant and helpful. The rooms were both clean and suitable for a lake. We had a beautiful view of Lake Tahoe from our balcony. The sunrise and sunset was picture perfect each day. We would recommend you stay there while in the area. We are looking forward to going back and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a Lake view. The corner suite was quiet and had an excellent view of the Lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Make sure to sit outside on the deck and order the fried zucchini. It just doesn't get any better. The bar menu is better and better priced than the restaurant. If you have a boat, you can dock if and then eat!

• Stayed June 2013
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Everything was terrific..tomato basil soup, Kobe beef hamburger, steelhead trout with gnocchi and mushroom sauce (fantastic...will try to reproduce at home). Their Hula pie is huge, but just OK...their berry crisp was to die for.

• Stayed June 2013
Newark, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Me and my family spent a night in this lodge as we were camping in William kent campsite across the street and it was freezing cold the previous night.

I stayed in room 28 and when i went down to my car to bring some water to drink we had in the car, I was denied entry by the "guard" at the main door of this lodge. He told me I could not bring any liquor into the building and also that he was not allowed to let anyone take anything out of the building. I might be slow but i think he was trying to implying something. I told him it was just water and he could smell it if he wanted. He basically told me he would not do that and advised me to throw it away.

What's interesting is that there were other individuals (white) entering the lodge with bags clearly from supermarket shopping and I was the only one picked upon. I just could not believe I was not allowed to bring water to my room, but mostly about the explanation provided by the "guard".

I went inside and told the manager about it. I finally was able to bring my water inside but the guard was surprised to learn i was staying at the hotel. I supose hispanics are either unlikely visitors or we just do not have the resources to pay for a $230 dollar night stay at this place.

The moral for me is that while it is true most customers I saw staying there were white, they should train their personnel better and be friendly with all ethnicities. This place is just a shame, I would not recomend it to anyone who is not white and do not arrive in a nice premium or luxory car.

What I really regret is that my family had to experience this bitter experience. This basically spoiled my stay at lake Tahoe (I know, perhaps I should not have allowed this incident to affect me that much...)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4.0 of 5 stars 306 reviews
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Americas Best Value Inn-Tahoe City/Lake Tahoe
Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe
Marriott Grand Residence Club Ta...
#9 of 71 in South Lake Tahoe
Cedar Glen Lodge
Cedar Glen Lodge
#1 of 7 in Tahoe Vista
4.5 of 5 stars 668 reviews

Been to Sunnyside Restaurant and Lodge? Share your experiences!