“A Lake Tahoe tradition with an unparalleled view and atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1850 W. Lake Blvd., Tahoe City, CA 96145   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tahoe City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
california
“A Lake Tahoe tradition with an unparalleled view and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Make sure to sit outside on the deck and order the fried zucchini. It just doesn't get any better. The bar menu is better and better priced than the restaurant. If you have a boat, you can dock if and then eat!

• Stayed June 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Everything was terrific..tomato basil soup, Kobe beef hamburger, steelhead trout with gnocchi and mushroom sauce (fantastic...will try to reproduce at home). Their Hula pie is huge, but just OK...their berry crisp was to die for.

• Stayed June 2013
Newark, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Me and my family spent a night in this lodge as we were camping in William kent campsite across the street and it was freezing cold the previous night.

I stayed in room 28 and when i went down to my car to bring some water to drink we had in the car, I was denied entry by the "guard" at the main door of this lodge. He told me I could not bring any liquor into the building and also that he was not allowed to let anyone take anything out of the building. I might be slow but i think he was trying to implying something. I told him it was just water and he could smell it if he wanted. He basically told me he would not do that and advised me to throw it away.

What's interesting is that there were other individuals (white) entering the lodge with bags clearly from supermarket shopping and I was the only one picked upon. I just could not believe I was not allowed to bring water to my room, but mostly about the explanation provided by the "guard".

I went inside and told the manager about it. I finally was able to bring my water inside but the guard was surprised to learn i was staying at the hotel. I supose hispanics are either unlikely visitors or we just do not have the resources to pay for a $230 dollar night stay at this place.

The moral for me is that while it is true most customers I saw staying there were white, they should train their personnel better and be friendly with all ethnicities. This place is just a shame, I would not recomend it to anyone who is not white and do not arrive in a nice premium or luxory car.

What I really regret is that my family had to experience this bitter experience. This basically spoiled my stay at lake Tahoe (I know, perhaps I should not have allowed this incident to affect me that much...)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Rocklin, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

It's called Sunnyside RESTAURANT and Lodge because everything about it caters to the restaurant. Parking during the day is impossible because of the deck and restaurant patrons. We booked a room with a lake view, and were VERY unhappy. Our room was directly over the inside bar, and overlooking the deck. The noise was overwhelming until about 1:00 am!
Hotel management told us that if we had booked by phone instead of online, they would have warned us about the noise, but they made no effort to give us a quieter room.DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 37,38 OR 39 unless you don't mind staying up all night. They serve a small breakfast right down the hall from these rooms, so you are woken up by the preparation noises before 7:00 am. In this day and age, who doesn't book their travel online? The management needs to make people aware of the problems with these rooms before booking.
The deck does have an incredible view of Lake Tahoe, but the food was pedestrian, drinks are expensive and the crowd is massive. The formal restaurant, open for dinner only, was better food.

Room Tip: stay away from rooms 37, 38 and 39
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ojai, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed in room 20 which I think may be one of the best rooms even though it is on the two lane highway. The room is a corner room so it has windows on two walls. The room also appeared to be bigger than the other rooms. I would not spend extra for a room directly facing the lake because those rooms look too small. The restaurant is very good -- one of the better restaurants in Tahoe City. Also, go to Christy Hill restaurant -- one of the best meals I have ever had, and I have eaten in Michelin starred restaurants.

Room Tip: Request room 20 -- a corner room -- on the highway but not noisy during the night.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Wow!!! An amazing highlight to an excellent holiday. The staff are friendly, the room and venue filled with character. We loved every part of this stay, Fire place in the room, halls lined with photos of the area and locals, massive views of Lake Tahoe, great food, warm helpful service - this is truly an iconic hotel. Typing this review make me want to go straight back... sigh.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My go-to hotel on the WestShore, the Sunnyside is a delight. The lakefront rooms are the way to go, all year long. In winter, you are a stone's throw away from Homewood and in Summer, the Chris Crafts pull in to the dock all day long. The restaurant is superb. The bar has Taco Tuesdays which are really fun. The hotel is beautifully finished out, the beds are yummy and the service is perfect. 4 stars.

Room Tip: Lakefront. Do not short yourself.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunnyside Restaurant and Lodge? Share your experiences!